Think I've Found The One!

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,215
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Well, I finally got into my LBS this morning to check out the first of my shortlist in the flesh - a Wilier La Triestina. I'll still be looking at the Viner Gladius and Celer Fuga and Orbea Onix Vuelta but they are going to have to be something special. I know the Wilier comes with a fairly basic groupset (Mirage) but I would just upgrade that to Centaur as the money becomes available. Just need to get my bosses to get their arses in gear with the C2W scheme now :D

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Have a really good look over the Willier. I know Epic Cycles dropped them because of poor finishing.
    Viners are good, as are the Orbea's, too.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    Go for the Orbea Onix Vuelta in my opinion
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hopper1 wrote:
    Have a really good look over the Willier. I know Epic Cycles dropped them because of poor finishing.

no disrespect - but are you sure they didn't drop them cos there isn't enough profit in them or something?

all the ones I have looked at are gorgeous - finish et all!

Mmmm - Izoard with Chorus - Mmmmm
  • hopper1
    Personally, I've not seen a rogue one, but that's the reason given...
  • I'm a begginer aswell so no expert but I had Willier and Orbea on my shortlist but the Mortirolo Mirage/Veloce and Onix Bira so admitedly different bikes. From all the reviews the Willier was on paper my favourite and the finish was spot on from what I saw. Had a good look at them both and (short) test rides and it was the Orbea that really stood out. Better fit, (personal preference but) better componentry and better service from the LBS. I've had it about six weeks now and its awesome, I love it!! Clocking up around 150-175 miles a week and I really can't fault it.

Go Orbea!!
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416

Go Orbea!!

someone told me they are a workers co-operative - is this true? cool if it is.
  • hopper1
    LittleB0b wrote:

Go Orbea!!

someone told me they are a workers co-operative - is this true? cool if it is.

I believe they are, working in the Basque region...
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Pross wrote:
    I'll still be looking at the Viner Gladius and Celer Fuga and Orbea Onix Vuelta but they are going to have to be something special.

They are - don't get thinking that the decision making is over. Epic is cyclings equivalent of a lap dance club (alledgedly, I've been told :wink: )
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    gkerr4 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

no disrespect - but are you sure they didn't drop them cos there isn't enough profit in them or something?

all the ones I have looked at are gorgeous - finish et all!

Mmmm - Izoard with Chorus - Mmmmm

I reckon Epic couldn't order enough izoards to get a supply line. The shop seems to operate on massive lead times.
    However as reported on here there was a problem with the white paint on the izoard fading - on some 08 models. Haven't heard this for a while though - seems plenty of stock of Izoards elsewhere. This was my first choice - but I could really justify the extra £800 over my Kouta Kharma