Lottery (Dream) Builds?

IsaacJohnson
IsaacJohnson Posts: 52
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Since my LBS has seen fit to display a nice anti credit crunch Merlin Works XLM in it's window, It got the dream machine working again.

(enter Wayne's World style daydream/fantasy music here)

So, what are your thoughts?

The road is long...so take a shortcut.

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Its not the lightest frame in the world but ive always dreamed of owning a Cove G Spot frame with a set of Fox 36 Talas forks and while im on it full XTR kit just for the sake of it.

Im drooling even thinkin of it.......... :wink::D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    blur 4x. or somethin with shortish travel and slack angles that is ridable all day. other wise a zesty with full xtr and i9 wheels
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Long travel Ibis Mojo with all the gubbins.. kinda like this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... -rig-22596 8)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Jeff Jones 29er space frame, dripping with CK goodies......
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Probably a shortish travel full suss designed for razzing round the local track, doing jumps and even riding the odd dh track. A Bottlerocket appeals to me.
  • +1 for the Mojo HD, I'd cut off one of my Granny's nuts for one of those.
    Industry 9 wheels, Elixir CRs, RF Atlas cranks, etc etc
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    My dream bike?

This, but with CK BB, XTR cranks, cassette, mechs and shifters.

Image0051.jpg

I consider myself very fortunate to have my dream bike (well, almost..)

And of course, one day I will have a stumpy ht carbon with full xtr and super light weight everything. And then maybe when I'm old fat and slow I'll buy some super bling full sus.
  • My Santa Cruz Blur 4X that i'm currently bulding, gonna have 2010 Rev XX U-turns, Formula Brakes (Not sure which ones yet), raceface six carbon crankset, XTR Gears everything, or Sram XX shifters and mechs (don't have sram'd bike at the mo) CK headset and BB, and thinking about a custom paintjob similar to the Brawn F1 Team. Hope Pro III SP AM4 wheels, stans flow rims.

Should be pretty mega, when it's done, although it may take a while to get all the bling bits once it's up and running.
  • ashfanman
    ashfanman Posts: 186
    HandjobDan wrote:
    My Santa Cruz Blur 4X that i'm currently bulding, gonna have 2010 Rev XX U-turns, Formula Brakes (Not sure which ones yet), raceface six carbon crankset, XTR Gears everything, or Sram XX shifters and mechs (don't have sram'd bike at the mo) CK headset and BB, and thinking about a custom paintjob similar to the Brawn F1 Team. Hope Pro III SP AM4 wheels, stans flow rims.

Should be pretty mega, when it's done, although it may take a while to get all the bling bits once it's up and running.

Niiiiiiiice.

And I hadn't seen that new Ibis before! I wish I was good/rich enough to own a bike like that...

For me, it would have to be a Santa Cruz Blur LTC, with all the trimmings. Tasty.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Whatever combination results in the lightest possible 6" full suss on the planet. Oh and I want the SRAM 10 cog on the back. 8)
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I reckon I could build you a 20lbs 6inch full susser ;-)
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    supersonic wrote:

How strong (or not) would it be though??
  • supersonic
    A bit flexy I would have thought!
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've always rather thought of MTBs as being more utilitarian so my 'dream' bike would probably still be my 5 Spot with some sexier (or just newer!) forks and XX groupset, just for the hell of it... I'm sure the wheels could be improved - maybe some of the £2.5k carbon DT Swiss ones in MBR this month...

I'd then spend the rest of the dream bike fund I have left on a Colnago EPS with Super Record and Boras...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    supersonic wrote:
    Made of bamboo and balsa no doubt!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    If money was no object why would you compromise your riding with a do everything bike?!?!

I'll take 2010 versions of the following - Scott Scale Ltd (XC), Specialized S-Works Enduro SL (Trail and AM) and a fully spec'd up Morewood Makulu (DH).

Around £18k's worth :)
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I'd like a collection of Santa cruz's - A Nomad and Chameleon for starters- both in a custom orange colour with white fox forks(floats on the Nomad, f120s ond the Cham). Chris king hubs and headsets. Hope brakes all round, Hope stems and seat collars. Full XTR transmission... I'm gonna stop there before I get too depressed that i'd never afford it...
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • lawman
    i reckon i could build a super light and tough 120mm-140mm trail bike that rides like a 4x simply by buying a small not a medium. single ring it with an e13 lg1 10 speed at the back 65mm stem, 29ish inch bars and a mixed set of tyres ie maxxis minion up front and a crossmark/aspen at the back :D hmmmm just got to pick a frame to build it around???????
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Daz555 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Nahh, the Scott Genius frame is pretty stiff!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Nahh, the Scott Genius frame is pretty stiff!
    Yeah but a Genius Ltd weighs 23.24 lbs; lose the other 3lbs and you'll have one twitchy, flexy pointless 6" bike.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    MY dream bike is actually suprisingly cheap. and basic.
    ON-ONE 456 TI, RS REvelation 426 dual air maxel. Crank bro's iodine wheels in custom ano red. Xt shadow, mech, truvitive stylo team crank (double and bash) xtr front mech. XTR shifters. easton monkey light carbon finishing kit, exept for bars would be chromag 777. brakes would be hope tech x4's, pedals would be DX clippy or wlgo mg1's. and Continetal vertical protection blackchily 2.4 tires. tubeless. SDG bell air saddle,ti. chriss king HS and hope BB. E.thirteen bash.
    Yep, pretty much perfect!
    *drool,drool*
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    For about 3 years I've been in a state of bike nirvana and even with unlimited funds to my disposal I wouldn't swap my Maverick Durance for any other bike on a market 8)
  • For me, it would be custom build Ibis Tranny or Independent Fabrications hardtail frame with DT forks, XTR and Hope / Thomson finishing.

Luckily, my current bike isn't a million miles off - so I'm happy. :wink:
    Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing
  • lawman
    i reckon that evil sect would be my perfect bike tbh. its slack has the right amount of travel and looks the biz. i think with some xt, stans flow and fox forks it could be a 26lbs rocket ship, tiem to start saving i think :twisted:
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I know my love of mass produced Taiwanese bikes isn't everyone's choice but I'd have:

A new Trance X carbon for razzing trail centres:

Trance_X_Adv_SL0_comp_white.jpg

and a new Reign X for bike-parks, Alps, Fort-Bill etc:

Reign_X1_blue_GE_GA_GU.jpg
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    After riding one earlier in the week, a Santa Cruz Blur LT would be ideal for me - custom build, natch.
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    i reccon something like a cove hummer, or titanium litespeed ht.
    then a cotic soul to cover the steel department
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • paulscutt
    paulscutt Posts: 332
    Santa Cruz Nomad *CARBON* w/ RS Blackbox Lyrik air's, SRAM XX, CK headset,ceramic BB, Crank bros wheelset, Fox RP23 rear shock, Hope Tech X2's w/ floating rotors, Noir carbon chainset, Thompson elite x4 stem and elite seatpost, Easton carbon dh riser bars...

My lottery bike!! :)

I still feel very happy w/ my next best thing though, my '09 sexy Trek Remedy 8 in white/rootbeer ;)
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • supersonic
    I would just add the new Revelation Black Box fork to my Zaskar, some XTR kit and maybe some better wheels and then I'm done.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Daz555 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Bamboo you say...
    CALFEEBambooMTB466x406.jpg
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg