Does the 10 Under the Ben race run on the posted route?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited October 2009 in XC and Enduro
Just wondered... I rode the 10 Under course when I was up at Fort William, and, well, it's rotten really :lol: Nice bit between the car parts, Nessie's ace, the rest is just endless fireroads and dull singletrack. FIREROAD DESCENDING, AAAARRGH! I was wondering, on the race days do they use the same route or are there diversions/extras? I saw loads of wee tempting trailheads but didn't have time to explore... Just that a mate of mine is asking if I want to race there next year and in all honesty, I'd rather eat my own head than ride the full route again when there's the nevis red and worlds XC routes there :lol:
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I took part in the ben in 2006/07,and I can tell you from experience that they can and do change the course, especially if parts of the course are water logged and or have become dangerous. They also require you to carry lights if they think the light is bad.

The midges are bloody awful the camp site is next to a small stream :lol: .
  • Northwind
    Cheers... I guess that bit with the stream running over it gets a bit waterlogged :lol: Hmm. Well, I think I might go as "moral support" and go and do the nevis red all day instead :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Re 10 Under the Ben route. I assure you that the route is varied, the route that is sign poted 10 Under the ben is a very rough guide and open to interpretation. We have not included Nessie for a number of years and have built loads of bits that get added in for the day and then covered up again. For info large sections of the world xc course are included. The repeat rate of customers is high the customer feed back is that the course is good.
    Its your call, if you would like to pre ride the 2011 route then please get in touch maps are normally made available 2 weeks prior to event to reduce erosion on natural sections.
  • Northwind
    Ah... Thought that might be the case! Chris was full of praise for the event and I couldn't quite square that with my own experience of the route.

Shame about Nessie though, what a brilliant bit of trail that is. Nothing says fun quite like catch fences and crashmats :lol: Not sure I'd fancy it on a racy XC bike on skinny tyres mind.
    Uncompromising extremist