coed y brenin today

cw42
cw42 Posts: 205
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Just spent today riding 2 routes around coed y brenin. Unfortunately, the first route we did, the dragons back, was spoilt by the fact that someone had decided it'd be a good idea to swap some of the route markers around. When we got past the "beefy" climb, we were left wondering where to go. Eventually, after doing a rather fruitless loop, we ended up back on the main road and headed back to the visitors centre.
Once there, we told a warden what had happened, and he went to sort it out.
While at the visitors centre we had lunch, and it was by far the worst lunch I've ever had in such a place. First off, they don't do chips!
I'd just ridden 15 miles across country and A roads, so I was in the mood for some nice fatty chips, but no, we don't do chips sir as we feel they're bad for you????
Cock!
So, we ordered the burger, and I've had better burger and salad at a travelling fairground. Flat, lifeless, and tasteless is the best way to describe it, and it hung heavy in the stomach for our next ride that afternoon.
Which fortunately went some way to lifting the day up. We choose to do the MBR route, and what a cracker it was. The climbs were well judged, and the singletrack was in places downright scary, and also exhilerating at the same time. Well worth the visit for that alone.
I'll take sandwiches next!
live long, eat biscuit

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    true enough about the trail centre - looks very fancy from the outside but inside its just overpriced service station food - typical Britain really (just got back from France...sorry!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Should of had the Lamb burger, I had one 2 weeks ago and it was yum!
    Craig Rogers
  • cw42
    x-isle wrote:
    Should of had the Lamb burger, I had one 2 weeks ago and it was yum!

my mate had the lamb and the burger was exactly the same.
    Very bland and very overpriced for a burger, bun and token bits of lettuce!
    live long, eat biscuit
  • 7/10 for the rant - could do better CW :wink:

Ranger was pleasent, appologetic and was keen to resolve the signage problems. Nice man.

On the food front, why these places cannot do an All-Day breakfast I do not know. After a morning on the trails I am desperate for a good fry-up, but no I am not allowed one as I may get as fat as the person serving me!

A great day out in some lovely contryside but the MBR had a little too much fireroad for my liking. More fast flowing singletrack for me please.
  • cw42
    Ah you found me! :) deffo was a little too long in the fireroad climbing.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The food (and general demeanour) was far better at the old cafe, run by Sian and Dafydd.
    There was also much more of a social atmosphere.
  • OH NO Dan
    OH NO Dan Posts: 186
    cw42 wrote:
    Just spent today riding 2 routes around coed y brenin. Unfortunately, the first route we did, the dragons back, was spoilt by the fact that someone had decided it'd be a good idea to swap some of the route markers around. When we got past the "beefy" climb, we were left wondering where to go. Eventually, after doing a rather fruitless loop, we ended up back on the main road and headed back to the visitors centre.
    Once there, we told a warden what had happened, and he went to sort it out.
    While at the visitors centre we had lunch, and it was by far the worst lunch I've ever had in such a place. First off, they don't do chips!
    I'd just ridden 15 miles across country and A roads, so I was in the mood for some nice fatty chips, but no, we don't do chips sir as we feel they're bad for you????
    fool!
    So, we ordered the burger, and I've had better burger and salad at a travelling fairground. Flat, lifeless, and tasteless is the best way to describe it, and it hung heavy in the stomach for our next ride that afternoon.
    Which fortunately went some way to lifting the day up. We choose to do the MBR route, and what a cracker it was. The climbs were well judged, and the singletrack was in places downright scary, and also exhilerating at the same time. Well worth the visit for that alone.
    I'll take sandwiches next!

So your basically having a little cry because some signs were wrong and you had a crap burger. Cheer up mate, could of been alot worse
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Is the diversion still in place after beefy?
    Last time I was there you got to the top of the climb and doubled back down a fire roady track which brings you to a road that you cross over.
    Then you do Hermon, and it brings you onto the road for a while, just before the half way cafe.

As for the food - I only went to the cafe at the centre once before it changed over and I wasn't overly impressed. I certainly don't think it's any worse now based on my limited experience.
  • I find the Cafe at Llandegla much much better, good atmosphere, nice staff, good food and not too expensive. wasn't too impressed with Coed Visitors Centre, Good riding tho....
  • I like the one at Cannock Chase, home made cakes and fairly hot lasses serving too. even if they are from Cannock.
  • The food (and general demeanour) was far better at the old cafe, run by Sian and Dafydd.
    There was also much more of a social atmosphere.

+1