Cars to be banned from parts of Manchester

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Cars would also be banned from short stretches in the city centre, including Portland Street and Piccadilly between Lever Street and Newton Street. Maria Balshaw, director of the Whitworth Gallery on Oxford Road, welcomed the plan saying it would make Manchester `a better place for people to live, work and visit'.

Manchester failed in it's congestion charging, it was rejected by the masses, so, it looks like they are setting about making it as difficult as possible for cars to enter the city centre ....... which is nice . :)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/community/public_transport/s/1153340_buses_to_take_over_oxford_road

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    AndyManc wrote:
    Cars would also be banned from short stretches in the city centre, including Portland Street and Piccadilly between Lever Street and Newton Street. Maria Balshaw, director of the Whitworth Gallery on Oxford Road, welcomed the plan saying it would make Manchester `a better place for people to live, work and visit'.

Manchester failed in it's congestion charging, it was rejected by the masses, so, it looks like they are setting about making it as difficult as possible for cars to enter the city centre ....... which is nice . :)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/community/public_transport/s/1153340_buses_to_take_over_oxford_road

Watch they don;t end up banning bikes as well though.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Porgy wrote:

Watch they don;t end up banning bikes as well though.

That won't happen, it's a university area and Manc council promote cycling (on paper) , the news report also includes info about new cycle infrastructure.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Good stuff, especially it's looking like I'll be living in Manchester again soon.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Be great if they banned cars, buses and pedestrians (the ones that step in front of me anyway) from Princess Street heading to Upper Brook St so I could really blast it down the hill.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Ah...just read the article. Wishful thinking, I would change my route if that went through though.