Goggles. With an OF. At night.

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited October 2009 in MTB general
My riding glasses keep misting up and I was thinking - only idly mind - about getting some double-glazed anti-fog anti-scratch sooper dooper DH goggles to wear at night :shock:

Are they as good as they say they are and is it OK to wear them with an OF lid (night time use only lol)

Comments

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Why don't you go all out and get night vision goggles - then you can sell your lights! May want to stay clear of roads though :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If you're going to wear goggles with anything other than a full face lid, at least do yourself a favour and get a p!ss-pot (skate lid). Or you will look like a large male chicken. Apparently I'm not allowed to say c0ck.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    adb1006 wrote:
    Why don't you go all out and get night vision goggles - then you can sell your lights! May want to stay clear of roads though :lol:

you jest but I had a think about this idea a month or so back. Aside from obvious cost issues, they would bounce around too much as most are of the "pair of binoculars held in front of your face" variety. Still, I'd be willing to give it a go....

as for goggles; why not? I'd probably borrow some for a try out before committing the cash (or can some be had ofr cheap, afterall you'll want clear ones, yeah?) but no reason it wouldn't work, that I can think of at least. Of course you will look daft and your mates will point and laugh .... if they can see you past their misted up glasses
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    adb1006 wrote:

you jest but I had a think about this idea a month or so back. Aside from obvious cost issues, they would bounce around too much as most are of the "pair of binoculars held in front of your face" variety. Still, I'd be willing to give it a go....

Also, if you came face-to-face with a car on full beam - you'd need new retina's!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The kind of 'look' I'm after: 94036smiffy.jpg
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Could just take your glasses off.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    RealMan wrote:
    Could just take your glasses off.

Perhaps they're prescriptions? I sometimes wear riding glasses as the when I go at high speed the wind makes my eyes close. :cry:
  • joff69
    joff69 Posts: 18
    Someone told me that if you put a little bit of washing up liquid on the inside of your glasses and rub it in and get rid of any excess, then it should prevent your glasses from steaming up.
    I have to say i've not tried it as I wasn't sure if they were taking the p!ss

Other than that, I've seen somewhere some "anti-fog" liquid that does the same thing. Might have been in a motorbike shop for the inside of visors. Don't know a brand name though. you could try google.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antifog-Spray-Goggles-Dive-Masks/dp/B0011BBT4I
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    Forget expensive anti-fog.
    Shaving foam (seriously) does a cracking job.

Try it on your bathroom mirror.
    Clean it.
    Buff it dry.
    Apply foam.
    Polish/buff.
    Now try to fog that bugger up.
    You can't.

disclaimer: use at your own risk on expensive lenses with coatings/etc.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • swimming goggles?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    joff69 wrote:
    Someone told me that if you put a little bit of washing up liquid on the inside of your glasses and rub it in and get rid of any excess, then it should prevent your glasses from steaming up. I have to say i've not tried it as I wasn't sure if they were taking the p!ss.

No they weren't, I've been using this trick for years on goggles, cycling glasses and motorcycle helmet visors. It works by breaking up the surface tension of any moisture which tries to condense on the inside of the lens.
    joff69 wrote:
    Other than that, I've seen somewhere some "anti-fog" liquid that does the same thing. Might have been in a motorbike shop for the inside of visors. Don't know a brand name though.

Bob Heaths Visor Spray. Doesn't work.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    on the note of stuffs to put on your glasses, divers use a variety of things

toothpaste
    w-up liquid
    spit (who can forget Richard Dreyfuss in Jaws... "ain't got no spit"?)
    proprietary anti fog stuffs

all are supposed to leave a clear layer on the inside of the lens that water doesn't condense on. All work (for diving) to one degree or another. Toothpaste will probably scratch plastic lenses though so I wouldn't try it
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    missmarple wrote:
    Perhaps they're prescriptions? I sometimes wear riding glasses as the when I go at high speed the wind makes my eyes close. :cry:
    I don't use my prescription glasses as it costs a fortune if I smash them up (and have done), so wear contacts when riding, but then I get the problem you describe and worse bits of grit and dead/dying flies in my eye which makes my eye get infected if not cleaned out quickly. So now I've got Madison DArcs with interchangeable lenses. One is clear which would be okay for night. They're fairly indestructible as well.

swimming goggles?
    Or Riddick Goggles :D.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Get a Pro-Tec skate helmet and pretend you are a delta from black hawk down 8)
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • tis what i do :) so it must be cool
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    just found that muc off do a anit-fog treatment for your glasses/goggles

http://www.muc-off.com/webpage/rider_ca ... _35ml.html

then theres also anti-fog stuff for swimming goggles, im guessing that if its going to work on a fully inclosed system like swimming goggles then theres a chance it might work for mtb as well

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?c ... st%20Spray

the an array of stuff at amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... htb6cv11_b
    what are brakes for again
  • FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)