Marathon+ tyres are really good....

dualistic
dualistic Posts: 24
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
... saved me from a puncture but now i have to buy another one..... crap and weather will get in there quickly.

Right down to super magic blue rubber bit!! Only 2 weeks old as well :cry:

I wish i knew what did it and why it was there! :evil:

Anybody else has a gash like that? Im surprised. Until this its been insignificant nicks on previous tyres.

Wondering whether someone could have done that with knife... unlikely i think.

v75pp0.jpg

Comments

• got some gashes like that on the marthon +'s on big green don't seem to do any harm, the tires are 2 years old or so now.
  • got some gashes like that on the marthon +'s on big green don't seem to do any harm, the tires are 2 years old or so now.

Really? youve ridden with gashes that size? Its almost through to the tube .... im happy not to buy another one but im thinking its going to open up at some point on these crappy roads.... and/or pick up grit etc and eventually get through.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    dualistic wrote:
    got some gashes like that on the marthon +'s on big green don't seem to do any harm, the tires are 2 years old or so now.

Really? youve ridden with gashes that size? Its almost through to the tube .... im happy not to buy another one but im thinking its going to open up at some point on these crappy roads.... and/or pick up grit etc and eventually get through.

Could you fill it with some rubber solution from a puncture repair kit?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    dualistic wrote:
    got some gashes like that on the marthon +'s on big green don't seem to do any harm, the tires are 2 years old or so now.

Could you fill it with some rubber solution from a puncture repair kit?

I dont have any but worth a try i guess. I think riding on london roads it will slowly open up on uneven surface, but ill try riding as is and see what happens.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    mate of mine who runs a cycle shop says stick some super glue in it
  • dualistic wrote:

i can see the blue yes though as this a small photo the ones on my bike are deep but not wide.
  • doog442 wrote:
    mate of mine who runs a cycle shop says stick some super glue in it

The picture doesnt show it but it looks almost all the way through the blue - very deep - should have deflated & pinched the tyre before taking picture.

Super glue sounds like a good idea - ill try it ... but does super glue ever really work on anything? :roll:
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Try Super Glue.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • These types of holes used to scare me, but...

Take the tyre off and have a look on the inside. If the integrity of the puncture protection is intact you ought to be OK.
    Once pumped up check the inner tube isn't gaping through the hole.
    These types of holes always cause the rubber to gape once the tyre is pumped up and can look worse than they really are.
    --never filled one with superglue before - I will give that a try next time.

Make sure you check your tyres regularly, at least once a week.
    If its still bothering you change the tyre.

The only tyres I had to throw away prematurely got big gashes in the sidewall where there was no puncture protection strip and you could see the inner tube.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    What size is the tyre?