Double sided pedals?

maxppp
maxppp Posts: 39
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
This may almost definately sound like a ridiculous question but here goes:
My pedals are dual sided, one side is flat whilst the other protrudes, i assume this is meant for bicycle shoes.

As soon as i take my foot off the pedal, it rotates with the protruding side facing upwards.

This is a pain as i wear trainers when cycling.

Is it just a knack ive yet to master as the only way i can see it is to roll the pedal on my toe round to the flat 'comfortable' side?

It would be good if i could pop the protruding side so it was in profile with the rest of the pedal but it doesnt look like it can.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Just get some flat pedals, problem solved ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need to either buy some compatable shoes and use the cleats that came with the pedals.

Or change the pedals to something more suitable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • maxppp wrote:

Is it just a knack ive yet to master as the only way i can see it is to roll the pedal on my toe round to the flat 'comfortable' side?
    In addition to the above post, as a quick aside...

Yes, the flick you described is one way to get to the flatter side. The other way is to start moving, take your foot off for half a pedal stroke, then put it back down - the pedal should turn over in the mean time.

You may also want to consider different shoes for cycling in - As you get more serious about cycling you may end up wanting slightly stiffer soled shoes both for better efficiency and comfort.

This might be a good opportunity to pick up some SPD (clip in) shoes and learn the joys of stiff shoed, clipped in riding. Just make sure you get the right cleats (the interface between shoe and pedal) so that they match your pedal. I'd imagine if you took the pedals to your local bilke shop (LBS) and explained what you were after, they would be happy to help.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    lidl do SPD compatible shoes for under 20 quid they are very trainer like. you can get the SPD adapter plates for 10 quid or so off ebay

if you slacken the adjustment nut on the pedal, there really isn't a downside to SPDs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don;t feel pressured to go down the SPD (clipped in) pedals by the forum nazis.
    If you ride in trainers, get some decent flat pedals, like Wellgos or something.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Don;t feel pressured to go down the SPD (clipped in) pedals by the forum nazis.

I resent being described as a nazi. Take it back.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    no.

You hadn't piped up anyway.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    despite agreeing with yeeha, I'm calling godwins law...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    All the accidents I've ever had have been mostly due to SPDs. But I still like 'em on balance
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6280

got myself these for £12,but when them babys hit your shins damn you know about it :cry:
  • cant be as bad as a v8 diggie?
  • i bet on the VP ones for max shin damage,my right leg backs me 100% on this :lol:
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    maxppp wrote:
    This may almost definately sound like a ridiculous question but here goes:
    My pedals are dual sided, one side is flat whilst the other protrudes, i assume this is meant for bicycle shoes.

As soon as i take my foot off the pedal, it rotates with the protruding side facing upwards.

It would be good if i could pop the protruding side so it was in profile with the rest of the pedal but it doesnt look like it can.

the pedals on my GT aggressor were like this - took me one ride before i threw them in the bin
  • i'v got the GT aggressor as well and the peddles are a pain in the arse.
  • @nicksmith - you're using the pedals wrong :D

'08 Kona Cowan, Sunrise Big Mammoth Fat rims, Marzocchi DJ fork, Avid BB5 brakes