Components for old groupsets

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,454
edited October 2009 in Workshop
I'm currently running an early 90's Ultegra group with 7 speed casette on my bike and being slightly less fit / slightly more portly than when I bought my bike need some lower gears :oops:

I'm looking to buy a new 39 tooth chainring to replace the current 42 and a new 13-23 (or possibly 13-26) 7 speed casette to help me get up the hills. Are the current Ultegra chainrings compatible? I assume they are but they seem to be badged as 9 or 10 speed and I can't work out why the chainring would be any different than for a 7 speed :? I have also found a 105 HG 7 speed casette which I assume will do the job. Can anyone confirm that these changes will be fine or where I can obtain some 'retro' parts that will work?

Guess I may as well change the big chainring, chain and rear mech jockey wheels while I'm at it too.

Comments

• gaspode
    gaspode Posts: 110
    I think you'll find that the current 9/10 speed are designed for use with a narrower 3/32' chain (due to the need to squeeze so many cogs onto the rear cassette) - you'll need a 'fatter' 7 speed chain (which I think is 1/8th) for your rear set, so it may not sit too well on a narrow 9/10 front cog (but I've no experience of trying to run like this, so it may work fine - hopefully someone will be able to confirm....?)
  • Pross
    Thanks for that. Anyone know the best place to get 7 speed chainrings? Have found cassettes and chains but not chainrings. Cheers.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Basic Stronglight chainrings - 8/9 speed from the likes of Ribble are OK. You may struggle apart from e-bay to find anything else - no need to pay the premium for 10 speed parts.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    7 is the same width as 8 speed, 8 runs on 9 speed fine.

Any nine speed will be fine, make sure you check number of bolts and BCD.

I like stronglight and the middleburn ceramic coated rings. TBH bog standard shimano steel ones last the longest.
  • Pross
    Thanks all, will try to get an 8 or 9 speed Ultegra to keep my group intact.