About to take the plunge....advice needed please

riggsy81
riggsy81 Posts: 281
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Hi guys

I'm new to road riding and will be purchasing my 1st roadie through the cycle scheme at work...

My shortlist is
Spesh Allez Triple 2010
Spesh Secteur Triple 2010
Trek 1.2T
Giant Defy 3.5
Giant Defy 4

Anyone got any recomendations, stories etc

I will going to a few shops over the weekend to have a proper look and try them for size and have already ridden the Allez which I found a really nice and comfortable ride.

Thanks in advance

Ben
I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
NO EXCUSES
JUST RIDE!!!

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Any reason why you want a triple?

I would say get a compact. Unless you are rather unfit and/or planning on doing some touring.

God never meant lightweight roadbikes to have triple chainsets. It is a sin.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's also worth trying to find some 2009 models as you will get more for your money (generally) even if they aren't at sale prices.
  • Any reason why you want a triple?

I would say get a compact.

+1 for this. Newbies often want to err on the side of caution and get a triple, but 9.9 times out of 10 this is unnecessary. Do you live somehwere mountainous or are you really unfit?

A basic compact with a 12/25 or 12/27 on the back will get you up most things.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Yeah a compact is fine.
  • im reasonably fit... so sod the triple off then :) double here I come....

cheers guys
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • any recommendations on doubles around the £500 mark???
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • also any idea about the

Orbea Fleche

looks quite nice
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    I disagree with the triple comments. I found having a double good fun and I was putting in a lot of miles but at the end of the day, with a triple if you aren't using the lower/higher gears then what does it matter? You ride at your pace and be it with a triple or double, it shouldn't matter one bit.

You buy what feels good to you. You're riding it - no one else.
  • sturmey
    I disagree with the triple comments. I found having a double good fun and I was putting in a lot of miles but at the end of the day, with a triple if you aren't using the lower/higher gears then what does it matter? You ride at your pace and be it with a triple or double, it shouldn't matter one bit

Except a triple weighs more than a double, and usually costs more.
    And a triple looks ,er, totally uncool! :wink:
  • dg74
    sturmey wrote:
    I disagree with the triple comments. I found having a double good fun and I was putting in a lot of miles but at the end of the day, with a triple if you aren't using the lower/higher gears then what does it matter? You ride at your pace and be it with a triple or double, it shouldn't matter one bit

Except a triple weighs more than a double, and usually costs more.
    And a triple looks ,er, totally uncool! :wink:

I'd say it's gonna be a small amount of extra weight and if you're a good cyclist then it won't really make one jot of difference.

As for being uncool - I'd rather be uncool and a good cyclist than cool with a double but a sh1t cyclist. Simples :D
  • sturmey
    As for being uncool - I'd rather be uncool and a good cyclist than cool with a double but a sh1t cyclist. Simples

Ah, but if you WERE a good cyclist you wouldn't be riding a triple to start with!
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Maybe too early in my relationship to start recommending a bike, but I just bought an Orbea Aqua Enol for about that sort of money. One of my mates looked over it at the weekend, he's a proper roadie with years of big-bucks experience, and he said it's a proper bike. Good frame, sensible kit on it, and looks pretty too.
  • dg74
    sturmey wrote:
    As for being uncool - I'd rather be uncool and a good cyclist than cool with a double but a sh1t cyclist. Simples

Ah, but if you WERE a good cyclist you wouldn't be riding a triple to start with!

A complete and utter load of crap spoken by you. I get more sense out of my 3 year old niece.
  • sturmey
    A complete and utter load of crap spoken by you. I get more sense out of my 3 year old niece

That's probably because you are both on the same intellectual level.

Though I would expect at least the 3 year old has a sense of humour.
  • dg74
    sturmey wrote:
    A complete and utter load of crap spoken by you. I get more sense out of my 3 year old niece

That's probably because you are both on the same intellectual level.

Though I would expect at least the 3 year old has a sense of humour.

Nice bite. Reeled in hook, line and sinker.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    riggsy81 wrote:
    also any idea about the

Orbea Fleche

looks quite nice

I had an Orbea Asphalt as my first bike, still got it, too!
    I rate Orbea's very highly, and you'll be more than happy with the Fleche.

Paul
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Relative newbie here-had my bike for about 10 weeks now so a few comments

I bought a Specialized Allez(double) for about £540 and very pleased with it

It doesn't get odd looks when I go out with"proper roadies"
    The double is fine-don't think I've got close to running out of cogs
    Its actually a better bike than the rider i.e I never feel the bike is holding me back(just lungs and legs)

The one thing I probably would have done differently in hindsight is go for a better groupset than the Sora. It gets the job done but the shift onto a smaller cog at the back is a bit awkward if you are down on the drops. Its not a big problem but just not as elegant as the better group sets.

I'd also tend to err more on the race geometry rather than relaxed. i.e if I had more money would have gone Tarmac not Secteur

Depends what you want to do with it though-I was more interested in going as quick as I could(at 47) rather than tootling around so don't tend to do much relaxed riding
    Hope that helps
  • sturmey
    If I was in the market for a bike at this price I would go for one of the Giants you mentioned or the Allez double. They are very competent at what they do. Have a think though about mudguards and whether you want to fit those too. I think the cheaper Giants have mudguard eyes on the frames. Not sure about the Allez tho'.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    bit of an update...

so far Ive ridden an Allez and had a look/sit on the Orbea Fleche and the Giant Defy 4, going to look at the Secteur on the weekend then its decision time...
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    riggsy81 wrote:
    im reasonably fit... so sod the triple off then :) double here I come....

cheers guys

Don't even bother with the compact just get an ordinary double.

Makes my day when i see a roadie pushing their bike :wink: I'm glad i've got mine, especially 50 miles into a ride when you suddenly encounter a 20% b*****.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.