Commuting bag

es330
es330 Posts: 46
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi there

I need a new bag which has space for a 13" Dell laptop and commuting essentials (underwear, shirt, spare tubes, etc...). I currently have a Wonder Weanie Crumpler and ride a Trek road bike to work.

Any suggestions? I live in Preston so waterproofing is a necessity! Don't want a racking system. Don't mind traditional rucksack (just not sure which brands to look at).

Cheers
Kevin
Trek 2.3 2010

Comments

• es330
    i have one of these

Does it have padded sides to protect the laptop (like in a stand laptop bag)? £139 is a bit pricey :shock: I've just forked out £1,175 for my bike!
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • es330
    es330 wrote:
    i have one of these

Does it have padded sides to protect the laptop (like in a stand laptop bag)? £139 is a bit pricey :shock: I've just forked out £1,175 for my bike!

Upon further examination I've seen these for around £60. It sounds perfect. Cheers!
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • es330
    es330 wrote:
    i have one of these

Upon further examination I've seen these for around £60. It sounds perfect. Cheers!
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • I have a fux deluxe

WXHXD: 62x34x24cm

More than big enough for all eventualities.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • And I've got one of these.

Much like the Cheesy Disco but a little bigger - I returned the Cheesy Disco as it wasn't quite big enough to hold my shirt folding thingy which I use to take ironed shirts to work. Evans were doing a good deal on it (£60 or £70, I think) - not sure if they still are.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Thread hi-jack

whats this shirt folding thingy? my shirts go in my bag at home looking immaculate and come out 13 miles later looking like i have slept in them.
    And I've got one of these.

Much like the Cheesy Disco but a little bigger - I returned the Cheesy Disco as it wasn't quite big enough to hold my shirt folding thingy which I use to take ironed shirts to work. Evans were doing a good deal on it (£60 or £70, I think) - not sure if they still are.
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have a North Face base camp messenger - completely bombproof and enough roof to carry my mobile office plus laptop in padded sleeve - probably not cool but it works
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Thread hi-jack

whats this shirt folding thingy? my shirts go in my bag at home looking immaculate and come out 13 miles later looking like i have slept in them.

One of these?

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_folders/Pack-It-Folder-15-40153/
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    can't beat ortleib bags for waterproofing, got one when i got caught out in torrential rain once.

and for the shirts, dry clean them and get them "in a box" nicely folded in paper sheets!
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Thread hi-jack

The business traveler trick to solve this is to roll, not fold, your clothes. I make a tube out of my socks and jocks and then roll the business shirt round it.. Shirt comes out the other end looking almost as good as when I ironed it.

Works just as well for long flights with small luggage as it does for a commuter backback.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • es330
    And I've got one of these.

Much like the Cheesy Disco but a little bigger - I returned the Cheesy Disco as it wasn't quite big enough to hold my shirt folding thingy which I use to take ironed shirts to work. Evans were doing a good deal on it (£60 or £70, I think) - not surjavascript:emoticon(':(')e if they still are.

This sounds absolutely perfect. I just can't seem to find one under £100 :shock: (especially the ones with the flashy big logo). Evans no longer stock Crumpler :(
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • Has anyone ever washed their crumpler? Mine could potentially do with a spruce up after being abused by my sweat glands most days...

Not sure how it would handle the machine tbh and perhaps need a re-waterproofing of some kind?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]