M'gTFU and learning self-defence

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
What is the current thinking on the best 'form' of self-defence.

My dad learnt Jiu Jitsu and still recalls some of it and it seems incredibly simple and effective. I'd rather learn self-defence than say a martial art because I have no intention of starting something but it would be ace to finish something that became inevitable - whether as a result of road rage or otherwise. This ends particularly well I think, not exactly self-defence that gets him the advantage, but well worth watching! T-shirt boy "I don't want to fight you, I don't even know you, I'm only 15..."

http://www.break.com/index/kid-teaches- ... esson.html

Anyone any thoughts on jiu jitsu generally, or experience of learning ot using self-defence?

Comments

• Learn how to use a D lock effectively, I am thinking of starting a class in D lock self defense, think it would go down well with cyclists.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dt_59_180HB310.jpg

akido or one of the russian martial arts, or wing chun would be cool...
  • Someone needs to develop a martial art that can be practised in road shoes. If you could kick someone in the head, then it would be damaging but doing it without falling over is going to be hard.
  • Bruce Lee's art of Fighting Without Fighting of course!

Perfect for dealing with those antipodeans with dodgy accents...
  • i think fighting without fighting is called taking primary...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Ball kicking

But that video is a classic.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Bas Rutens' Lethal Self Defence.

"Never underestimate the kick to the groin" - Classic
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I always found Muay Thai effective.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Thai
    I discovered it while I trained in Zen Do Kai
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_Do_Kai back in Australia in my early 20's
    While Zen Do Kai involved Kata and other traditional rituals in the Dojo, Muay Thai teaches you to box & kickbox from the time you enter the Stable.
    Taking someone out with a well placed elbow to the jaw is very satisfying :twisted:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Obviously there's only one course to take for this...

Paul Kaye's Kung Fu (Possibly NSFW depending on how loud your speakers are!).
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Any formal self defence training involves the student undertaking an understanding that their knowledge should never be used to start a confrontation and only the minimum force needed to stop haressment from the attacker(s) should be used.

The Korean martial art of Tae Kwon Do had quite an impact on me in my late teens/ early 20s, I do regret stopping my training quite suddenly and so never attaining my 1st Dan and perhaps starting my own club.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mkchu84
    mkchu84 Posts: 41
    Whatever you decide to learn, just try not to look like this
  • Krav Maga is just mental. It's used by the Israeli defence forces afaik. Very lethal.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Any formal self defence training involves the student undertaking an understanding that their knowledge should never be used to start a confrontation and only the minimum force needed to stop haressment from the attacker(s) should be used.

The Korean martial art of Tae Kwon Do had quite an impact on me in my late teens/ early 20s, I do regret stopping my training quite suddenly and so never attaining my 1st Dan and perhaps starting my own club.
    I did that for a while during my teens.

Ended up giving it up because the warmup before we actually started learning anything tired me out and, if I'm honest because there was always something on TV I wanted to watch at the same time.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Perfect for dealing with those antipodeans with dodgy accents...

Oi!
  • Do I botha ye???
  • Did Tae Kwon Do at uni - missed my green belt exam due to finals... :( Good laugh.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I did several years of kickboxing - it was excellent for fitness and flexibility, but I got to the stage where training was taking too much time and I wanted to go riding instead :-(

In any real-life on-bike situation I would use my superior speed and manoeuverability to bravely run away. And no form of self-defence will make a bike beat a car in a head to head !
    Misguided Idealist
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    cjcp wrote:
    this is the correct answer, i used to train in this and its brutal. absolutely brutal
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    "Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important."

Its all Rock, Paper, Scissors tho isn't it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLIOtBLqoU
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the only thing more annoying than tw@t bullies like that are those whiny simpering b!tches wow that pi$$ed me off

Anyway ju jitsu in itself isn't rounded enough for everyday 'self defense' it's great if the other guy is doing the same but chances are you'll eat fist before you get to show your skills... maybe in combination with kickboxing or another attack based martial art.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    having read the wiki on krav maga, it would work well with:

dt_59_180HB310.jpg
  • A D-Lock lacks something in the range department. However if you had a heavy duty chain lock as well, and you had time to attach it to the D-Lock. Then you'd have an awesome weapon similar to a morningstar.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited October 2009
    I never bought into all that fancy-dan "HiYah!" Become like water-snake-in-the-eagles-shadow-drunken-master-fist-of-the-white-lotus-Hadoken-Kung Fu.

If you had to fight and I mean I've grown beyond that now... In a street fight you're more likely to come up against 'pub man' or 'white van man. A Jimmy "one punch" Tony first-name-for-a-last-name type'o'geezer, who shouts "ave it" while you're screaming "Whoooo HiYah!"

Your busy giving Hurricane Kicks and he has floored you with a swift bottle to the head, followed with a head butt and finsihed with a belly flop.

A sommersault into a 'dragon punch' ain't gonna cut it.

Have you seen football factory soppy bollocks?

I take my leaf out of Homer Simpsons book scream like a girl and when he looks away in disgust kick him in the nuts then when he is on the ground stamp on his neck.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Best form of self defence is to look like Clever Pun.

Failing that, and I do fail, at school all of us girls had to learn self-defence, we had self defence lessons specifically for girls, involving basically 'how to hurt a man enough to make him let you go'

One I particularly recall was scraping the point of a high heel down the shin of an assailant...
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    wing chun is a great one to do.
    i havent been for a year now as the roads were calling me, probably go back now its getting dark and cold again :(
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    One I particularly recall was scraping the point of a high heel down the shin of an assailant...

This hurts a lot....

*I've only had it done to me accidentally* :oops:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • To misquote Ali...

"Float like a butterfly,
    and run like f***"
  • Another of the self-defence techniques was to calmly ask a completely bizarre question - the example given was 'have you fed your penguin today' - and use the assailant's momentary pause for thought to leg it!