Carrera Kraken 08

maxamo
maxamo Posts: 51
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I want to buy some new front forks for my carrera kraken 08. Can someone give me a link and some advice to some possible forks. Either black or white.
Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What budget do you have?

Nice light XC forks, or something a bit heavier duty? Any features you want ie lockouts, travel adjust?
  • Yer i would like a lock out and pressure adjustment. Just post some links but keep the price resonable. :) Thanks
  • supersonic
    Have a look for a Tora 318 solo air.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Have a look for a Tora 318 solo air.
    are there any cheaper ones. Not too cheap and how easy are they to install??
  • supersonic
    I need a better idea of your budget!

They are straight forward ish to fit - see the FAQ and Workshop sections here or go to Park Tools website.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I need a better idea of your budget!

They are straight forward ish to fit - see the FAQ and Workshop sections here or go to Park Tools website.

Well about £100 - £170
  • supersonic wrote:

Do these have the lock out feature and if i dont want to fit them would somewhere like halfords do it?
  • supersonic
    Yes, it has a motion control damper which locks it out.

Halfords would charge about 20 quid to fit it.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Yes, it has a motion control damper which locks it out.

Halfords would charge about 20 quid to fit it.

So that would defintley fit a carrera kraken 08 model. How can i check ??
  • supersonic
    It does fit - I know it does.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Because it is the correct steerer size, practically all mountain bike forks are universal!
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i'd go for a magura odur . I got one on my bike it's £220 at halfords and they would fit it for free if you buy from them
  • supersonic wrote:
    It does fit - I know it does.

Ok thanks. Is the lock out actually on the handle bars, does it come with a little switch which you can mount on the handle bars? Like my one now
  • supersonic
    That one is a fork top mounted switch. But you can adjust it from fully locked, to fully open and anywhere in the middle. Look for PopLoc equipped models for a bar switch.

It is a better fork than the Odur I would say.
  • supersonic wrote:
    That one is a fork top mounted switch. But you can adjust it from fully locked, to fully open and anywhere in the middle. Look for PopLoc equipped models for a bar switch.

It is a better fork than the Odur I would say.

Could you find me a link for that 'poploc' and at the cheapest price possible
    please. One that works With the rock shox tora. Thanks for yor help
    i just dont wana buy the wrong thing. Just thinking would the lock out thing that
    is on my carrera work with those forks???
  • supersonic
    No, it wouldn't work with a tora.

http://www.thebicycledoctor.net/rocksho ... 2524-p.asp

But the 318 is better has has a Motion Control damper rather than the more basic Turnkey damper. You can look the differences up on their website.
  • supersonic wrote:
    No, it wouldn't work with a tora.

http://www.thebicycledoctor.net/rocksho ... 2524-p.asp

But the 318 is better has has a Motion Control damper rather than the more basic Turnkey damper. You can look the differences up on their websie.

So basically this one for 147 pound has a lock out to go on your handle
    bars for an extra 7quid ??
  • supersonic
    No. It is a more basic fork which has a remote lockout.

The 302 and 318 can be both got with poploc - but the 318 is a lighter fork with a better damper.
  • supersonic wrote:
    No. It is a more basic fork which has a remote lockout.

The 302 and 318 can be both got with poploc - but the 318 is a lighter fork with a better damper.

How much is a Lock on its own and what exactly does a damper do ??
  • supersonic
    Read the FAQ on forks for dampers (in the FAQ section).

You can buy seperate remote kits but they are expensive.

The Motion Control damper has adjustable low speed compression damping which can be very useful.
  • In your opion what would you got for??
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You don't need handlebar controlled lockout, the top of the fork is just a few inches away from the bar anyway so it's easy to reach down and change it. Try just touching the top of the right hand fork leg on the current forks to see how easy it is.

I'd back SS's recommendation up to the hilt, I had a 130mm Tora in my own 08 Kraken and it just turned the bike on its head, it was nice enough as standard like but what a difference to get better forks. U-turn (ie height adjustable) is nice but I didn't really miss it, I ran the bars a little lower and it still climbed nicely enough.

One thing that's nice is that the crown race is very, very easy to get off the old Suntours, as they have a recess in the crown to allow easier removal. Very cool. And the race is quite wide so fitting is also easy.

(PS, if you've not already changed the tyres, do that too- those Tiogas are a joke, something like 1/7th of the total weight of the bike is in the tyres! The front tyre weighs more than the wheel.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • maxamo
    One thing that's nice is that the crown race is very, very easy to get off the old Suntours, as they have a recess in the crown to allow easier removal. Very cool. And the race is quite wide so fitting is also easy.

(PS, if you've not already changed the tyres, do that too- those Tiogas are a joke, something like 1/7th of the total weight of the bike is in the tyres! The front tyre weighs more than the wheel.)[/quote]

Thanks for that. What tyres do you have on your carrera kraken? Also what do you mean about the forks?
  • supersonic
    Ypu need to remove the headset corwn race of the steerer of the old forks and install on the new one.

The shop would do that if you took the whole biek in.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    maxamo wrote:
    What tyres do you have on your carrera kraken? Also what do you mean about the forks?

Well, now it's a pile of spare parts :lol: Pretty much anything will work, depends more on your style of riding. And you don't want too fat a tyre in the rear as the mud clearance isn't too good, it does OK with a 2.1 though.

With the forks... It does probably make sense to go to a shop to get them swapped, but if you want to give it a try check out Park Tools... The setup on the Carrera is one of the best I've ever worked with which is nice, but it's not the easiest thing to do. Still, if you're a halfway decent mechanic/DIYer you should be OK if you want to give it a crack. Watch out though as the bearings are loose, and tiny, so if they fall out you will regret it!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • maxamo
    thanks for that does anyone know where to get the liitle plastic bit on top of the forks the bit that covers the wire for the lock out, its a tiny plastic bit but it is highly annoying as it came of while i was riding???
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Speak to Halfords? They might just give you a spare.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."