How to store a cycling helmet in a new way?

michela.brtt
michela.brtt Posts: 4
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
We are a group of students looking for a solution for a problem that affects a lot of people when they are using their bike: How to store the cycling helmet.

Cyclists do not know how to store the cycling helmet in different situations like going out shopping, seeing concerts or going to school/work where there is no obvious possibility for storing the helmet.
If people attach the helmet to the bikes locking mechanism, there is a chance that it might get stolen or get wet and sticky.

Therefore, we are looking for solutions that should take the following into account:

• The threat of theft of the helmet
• Protects it from getting wet in case of rain/snow
• Protects it from damages
• Is a easy and non time-consuming solution

We really appreciate any kind of suggestion/advice from you.

Thank you very much for your help!

Please click on the link below:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform ... V3BxaHc6MA

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I didn't realise helmet theft was such a big problem :wink:

I'd be more worried about someone stealing the bike that is attached to the bicycle locking mechanism than the helmet anyway....

Are you perhaps looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist?
    More problems but still living....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    not really, the wetness is a problem, but if you lock it through the straps then they have to cut the lock to get it, because a helmet with cut straps is pointless...

There are lockable carry cases for full face helmets. I'd design it around baskets and racks. Wire bag for security, laminated between soft plastic (like an aquapac but for a helmet with wire re-enforcing) then locks onto an exposed bit of frame/wheel/ rack/basket... or just with a loop so you can sling your lock through it to keep it shut.

Or for protection something really cool would be something with thin metal straps that stores flat but with a draw-string the strips part to form a rigid structure. Bit like those paper hats with the curves cut in so they straighten as you pull it on and has room for your head.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I wouldn't buy one! It's not a problem! I usually carry it with me as it's not very heavy. If I had to leave it on the bike, I'd just thread it through the bike-lock, or even just hang it on the handlebars (who in their right mind would want to wear someone else's cycle helmet?). If it gets wet, it gets wet - who cares?

So my suggestion/advice would be don't waste too much time thinking about it!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    amaferanga wrote:

Are you perhaps looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist?

+1

Scumbags who steal bikes / bike related items wouldn't know a helmet if it butted them on the nose. Even if they did, passing the lock through the straps means to steal it they cut the straps making helmet useless.

If the helmet gets wet whilst locked to the bike, chances are it will stillbe raining when you go to use the bike again, so you and the helmet will get wet at that point anyway -my helmet is always wet from sweat anyway

If you don't want to leave the helmet on your bike hen you go shopping etc... they aren't exactly heavy to carry - I've seen a few people in supermarkets with helmet in the trolley whilst they shop.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Yes, thread the D lock through it. They'd have to replace the cut strapping if the thief wanted to sell it on, and I doubt that there's much of a market for dodgy helmets. And if they force the D lock, well, the loss of a helmet will be the least of your worries.

Often though, if I'm shopping and it's raining, I'll simply loop the helmet round the strap of my rucksack. And if you don't like faffing around with a trolley and you shop at places like LIDL or Aldi, who don't believe in baskets, then the helmet strapped to your bag will actually carry a couple of cans of beer, thus leaving one hand free to pick up the less necessary items.

Problems to do with the wet will also apply to the saddle and possibly the wheel rims - the solution to that would point to more secure, covered bike sheds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Can't say it's a problem I've ever noticed. If I'm going somewhere I just take the helmet with me. If I were going to school or college I would just strap it to my bag :?

Don't think the Dragon's Den lot would be investing in a "solution".
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    just don't use a helmet - they are useless anyway.
  • gkerr4 wrote:

A mate of mine who's still alive because of one would disagree with you! Along with a lot of other cyclists!!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 wrote:

A mate of mine who's still alive because of one would disagree with you! Along with a lot of other cyclists!!

how does he know that the helmet saved him?

wearing the helment might even have made him more likely to be in the accident in the first place!
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    gkerr4 wrote:

Here we go again

*pulls up chair and takes out popcorn*
  • gkerr4
    soveda wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

Here we go again

*pulls up chair and takes out popcorn*

I know!

fun innit - how many pages do you think i'll get out of that one?
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

wearing the helment might even have made him more likely to be in the accident in the first place!

Because he hit a pot hole and went over the handle bars, landing on his head. Resulted in numerous breaks of his neck and I think some compression. Obviously the helmet broke which would have dissipated a fair amount of energy that would otherwise have caused further damage to his neck and head.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

Because he hit a pot hole and went over the handle bars, landing on his head. Resulted in numerous breaks of his neck and I think some compression. Obviously the helmet broke which would have dissipated a fair amount of energy that would otherwise have caused further damage to his neck and head.

too many variables - tell him to go and replicate the accident - perfectly - without a helmet and if he dies - then I'll start wearing mine.
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

too many variables - tell him to go and replicate the accident - perfectly - without a helmet and if he dies - then I'll start wearing mine.[/quote

Too many variables?!?! Not true and totally irrelevant!

If you don't want to wear one then that's your choice, but I think to say they're useless is quite ridiculous tbh!
  • We are a group of students looking for a solution for a problem that affects a lot of people when they are using their bike: How to store the cycling helmet.

Cyclists do not know how to store the cycling helmet in different situations like going out shopping, seeing concerts or going to school/work where there is no obvious possibility for storing the helmet.
    If people attach the helmet to the bikes locking mechanism, there is a chance that it might get stolen or get wet and sticky.

Therefore, we are looking for solutions that should take the following into account:

• The threat of theft of the helmet
    • Protects it from getting wet in case of rain/snow
    • Protects it from damages
    • Is a easy and non time-consuming solution

We really appreciate any kind of suggestion/advice from you.

Thank you very much for your help!

Please click on the link below:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform ... V3BxaHc6MA

Are you not overcomplicating things a bit?
    If you've and expensive helmet you might well want to secure it. But would you not just want something like a lightweight belt clip on it. But even then all you would need is a clip with a loop on it, loop that through a gap in the lid and hang where convenient.

^ that fookin copyright btw should Duncan Bannatyne come knocking :D
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    you know guys, OP states they are students - perhaps this is a design project?

If so, comments like "it's not a problem" aren't that helpful - nor is hijacking the thread with the 1,224,523 rd helmets debate.....
    Or for protection something really cool would be something with thin metal straps that stores flat but with a draw-string the strips part to form a rigid structure. Bit like those paper hats with the curves cut in so they straighten as you pull it on and has room for your head

i love this!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    But what's the point in using a design project to produce a design that is no use? Surely the first step of a design project should be to determine a problem that needs fixing? :?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If I lock my bike up I take my helmet with me - I'm not going to leave a helmet out in the open where any klutz can bash it, damage it, and render it useless, thank you very much!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Perhaps some way of attaching it to a bag so that the helmet doesn't swing around and risk getting damaged (something to take up the slack of the straps when strapping it to the bag maybe?). Never done it with my helmet but see loads of people at uni who do and they swing all over the place. Can't be good for them.

Apologies for thread hijacking earlier btw :oops:
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I don't think helmet theft is a big issue. I had my bike nicked from the train station a couple of years ago and they left the helmet behind, in perfect condition.

Rain is a bigger problem so some sort of waterproof bag would be useful. It would need to fold up small so you could stick it in a pocket or stuff it under the seat but would also have to seal well so it was completely waterproof. I'm not sure how you would make it secure, if that was your aim. You could include a wire or kevlar mesh in the material but that would make it bulky.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

too many variables - tell him to go and replicate the accident - perfectly - without a helmet and if he dies - then I'll start wearing mine.[/quote

If you don't want to wear one then that's your choice, but I think to say they're useless is quite ridiculous tbh!

tell you what next time you get slammed by a car (as I have) and hit a tree doing over 30mph (mtb as I have) and your not brain damaged from the impact then please please please tell us all about it !...
    You a doctor by any chance?!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Pross wrote:
    But what's the point in using a design project to produce a design that is no use? Surely the first step of a design project should be to determine a problem that needs fixing? :?

- but we not talking about setting up a profit making business.

so there is no-one who wouldn't like to be able to leave their helmet with their bike in a more secure, less exposed way????

It is a real "problem", just not necc one that loads of people would spend money on.

If they're design students, then this is enough of a hypothetical brief for them to look at scenarios, pros, cons, possible technical solutions, materials, practicalities etc.

Now, if they were marketing students, or proposing to set up a business, that's a different matter....
  • gkerr4
    turnerjohn wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

tell you what next time you get slammed by a car (as I have) and hit a tree doing over 30mph (mtb as I have) and your not brain damaged from the impact then please please please tell us all about it !...
    You a doctor by any chance?!

I have been hit by a 30mph car fairly recently - the irony being it was the first ride out with my new super-bright "can't miss me" lights

it hurt - but I wasn't wearing a helmet and I am still alive!

MTB is just asking for trouble to be honest and has no part in a helmet argument on a 'road' forum.
  • TommyEss
    I know what you mean re. swinging - but with my Crumpler messenger bag, you can thread the straps through the carry handle on the side of the bag, then clip it round the back of where the shoulder strap attaches.

And then my Karrimor rucsack has a proper helmet holder with bungee cord and a cover - worked fine getting me to and from Como last week.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Next time you stay in a hotel, grab the shower cap from out of the bathroom.

Two of these - one over your helmet which you've locked to your bike as others have described above, and the other one over your saddle so you don't get a wet @rse.

These are tiny and light - screwed-up they'll go under your saddle, tucked between the rails.

And they're free !
    (assuming you stay in hotels...if not I bet Superdrug or Poundland or somewhere sell them)
  • x8swift9x
    x8swift9x Posts: 268
    gkerr4 wrote:

I came off and smashed my head into a fence on my ride to uni on monday. My helmet saved me from receiving any injury to my head. If I wasn't wearing it I would have been pretty worse for wear as I was going 25 mph when I came off. Luckily I walked away feeling only a tad dizzy. I now have an excuse to buy a catlike :)
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • TommyEss
    How about just calm down and let's not turn this into a "Should you wear a crash helmet" debate - we've enough of those already.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    add some croc clips to the helmet bag so you can snap it onto any main backpack/bag. Don't make it in bright yellow though!
  • t4rmac
    t4rmac Posts: 23
    I had my lid nicked years back at uni. The straps were passed through the D-lock and I can only assume they cut the straps, or unthreaded them past the y join to get the lid. Finding another 20 quid (= 20 pints back then) for new lid was a pain. :evil:

After that I used a loop of wire (actually a wild country rock nut) larksfooted through a vent in the lid. Simples.

But then the scallies nicked the bike... :x
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Well, the OP does start with an assertion that lots of people have this problem. And so far the thread has perhaps demonstrated that it's simply not viewed as a problem by most of the respondants. And even given that it's a student design project, I would suggest that an integral part of such a project should perhaps include an assessment of the marketability of a particular product, because design is expensive and unlike art it's perhaps not something you expend effort on for its own sake.

But lets assume for the moment that I did need such a device. I'd probably start with a set of design requirements. Seems to me that we have two types of cyclist to consider: those who treat their bikes as utility transport and therefore don't give a stuff about festooning them with baskets, panniers, racks, straps etc, and those who care about making sure that every ounce they have to lug up the hills justifies its place on their person.

For the first category, the obvious solution might be a lightweight lockable carrier, which you could use to put shopping etc in while moving, but which you could lock your helmet in when parked. A permanent fixture on the bike, I'd probably design it with a solid lid and slatted sides to keep the rain off when parked, but still allow a degree of airflow as helmets tend to be sweaty articles which probably wouldn't benefit from being left in an airtight container in the sun.

For the latter category, I reckon it's a bit of a tough sale. It's got to fold up really small, and be very lightweight. Maybe a wire mesh bag, similar to the ones you can use to secure rucksacs to lamp-posts, but obviously smaller, and designed so that if a bike-lock cable or d-lock is threaded through it you can't get the helmet out. I guess you could combine this with a rain-cover which goes into a stuff-sac (machine it with a small pocket which it folds itself into, and which is big enough to accept the wire mesh bag also). Still think there wouldn't be many takers though.