Incompatable Lights and Computers!!!!!!

saladfunky
saladfunky Posts: 130
edited October 2009 in The workshop
I have a niterider minewt on my bars next to a cateye wireless computer. :) Both nice bits of kit but the computer malfunctions when the light is switched to flash or dim modes!!! :x Anybody else had this experience with lights and computers? Also, if I used a non wireless computer, would this solve the probelm? I guess it would but no evidence. I am sure helmet mounting the light would sort it but I am avoiding this .
Any thoughts on this annoying incompatability? :?:
cheers
Chris
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Comments

• Yes it does happen. Talking to the techy types at Busch and Muller the further up the wireless computer chain you go the less likely it is to happen. It's all about band width and shielding, wired will cure it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Cateye Strada and Exposure Maxx Daddy in flash mode = 3.4 mph
  • I had this with the cheap Aldi wireless computer picking up the flash from my ½ watt BSpoke light at the front as an EM pulse the same as when the magnet went past the transmitter. Switching to wired cured it. Mind you, so did some alternate placing of the light and receiver, but not consistently enough to prevent the occasional 70+mph top speeds :)

I did see an advert for one of the double wireless computers claiming to be immune to this, but I have no personal experience. It seemed an expensive outlay for an experiment. However, I daresay that Wooliferkins is right about the further up the pecking order you get, the less likely it is to happen; better shielding etc.

Edit: typos :roll:
  • Looks like I'll be getting rid of my strada wireless for a similar wired up one rather than spend loads on a top notch wireless one that might work, or not??

thanks for your replies

Chris
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • I had a similar problem with my Cateye Strada wireless and a Cateye front light. Riding to work in the morning light: 6.09 miles; riding home in the evening dark: 3.4 miles for the same route!

Moving the computer and the light further apart seeme to work (but the computer was then in an awkward position).

Condor managed to sort it out so I oculd have both the light in the obvious position and the computer on the stem - but they never explained how.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.