Cassette Installation Problems

thelasersailor
thelasersailor Posts: 106
edited October 2009 in Workshop
I'm trying to do more bike maintenance myself rather than always taking it to the LBS so I thought I'd have a go at swapping my ultegra cassette from my Aksiums to my pair of Fulcrum Racing evo 5's myself. I managed to get the cassette off OK and clean it up but it won't seem to fit properly onto the 5s. The Cassette rings go on fine but the lockring is not engaging with the thread (too far away) it seems to be a spacing problem but I've not changed anything and I'm pretty sure the wheels are shimano 10 speed compatible.
Any ideas before I take it to the LBS?
If every mistake you make is a new one ... cheer up, you're making progress!

Comments

• Cassette is 10 speed 11-23T if it matters.
  • Anyone got any ideas? Any help would be MUCH appreciated! :)
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    your aksiums will have had the Mavic M10 spacer fitted which allows you to use shimano cassettes on the mavic freehub.

your fulcrums don't need that spacer as they are a 'proper' shimano freehub - so if you tranferred the spacer (between wheel and largest sprocket) then the cassette won't fit right.

did you transfer the spacer?
  • Yep I did! Didn't think the freewheel mechanism spun properly without the spacer but I'll have another go.
    Thanks so much for the reply.
  • Without the spacer the cassette is too loose. I assume I need another type of spacer. Does anyone know what sort I need or where I can get it from?
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    The 10 speed cassette has a thin spacer that goes onto the hub first. This is a flat spacer and is different to the Mavic spacer (which looks like this - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25399 ). On the Fulcrum wheel you will need the thin spacer but not the Mavic spacer. I've only ever seen the thin spacer supplied with a cassette so I don't know if it's available separately, but your LBS should be able to find one in their scrap box.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Mister W wrote:
    The 10 speed cassette has a thin spacer that goes onto the hub first. This is a flat spacer and is different to the Mavic spacer (which looks like this - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25399 ). On the Fulcrum wheel you will need the thin spacer but not the Mavic spacer. I've only ever seen the thin spacer supplied with a cassette so I don't know if it's available separately, but your LBS should be able to find one in their scrap box.

yes - this is true - I should have mentioned this - sorry.
  • No problem, sounds like I've got it sorted now. Thanks for all your replies.
  • Can anyone offer a link guidance to a 'how to' for this job? Like the OP, I want to have go but am nervous about it. Specifically, do the cogs go back on in a particular position - they seem to be 'staggered' somehow? I have had a look on park tools but there is nothing specific on this.
  • Just ignore my request above: I found this link which does the job nicely.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Oek25x ... re=related
  • I had exactly the same problem - 10spd Ultegra cassette moving from Aksiums to Fulcrum 3s.

Just to confirm what has already been said, it was simply an issue with the spacer. The Aksium spacer was too thick, albeit quite thin itself. No spacer does not work as the cassette sits too far inboard. Got a wafer thin spacer from my LBS and problem solved.
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.