Carrying A d lock

chaz81
chaz81 Posts: 19
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Evening all,

Can anyone suggest any brackets for carrying a D lock? I've a Magnum something or other that I need to attach to my boardman comp. Its too bulky/heavy for a rucksack, however if I could attach it, I could also use the bike for the gym/shopping etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Chaz

Comments

• If it didn't come with one then no.

Mine fits nicely in my messenger bag and i really doubt yours is heavier/bulkier than mine.
  • oh i have one of these badboys:

dt_59_180HB310.jpg
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    I use one of these: http://www.urbanhunter.biz/shop/catalogue.php?item_id=709

It looks better on the model than on me, but it's secure and comfortable.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    oops wrong thread
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Lose some weight and wear it as a belt.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I was thinking about this morning
    I have a large kyptonite lock. I bought it when my Ti bike was new.
    It comes with a frame mount but the lock is so huge it fouls the bottle cages
    There is a smaller model of the same lock. I might just have to spend on that instead
    It weighs a ruddy ton anyway
  • My krypt new york is just ridiculously heavy - in ye old bag it goes.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I had a D-Lock that came with a bracket, which I then lost, because I'm clever like that.

I went to my LBS who fitted a generic bracket to hold the D-Lock, basically inside the main triangle.

It was too big/my bike was too small for water and d-lock, so I got a new lock in the end, but take yourself, your bike and your d-lock to a LBS and ask!
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    If, by chance, you have a rack on your bike, check out the Abus UGH clips. A bit pricey, and you have to be careful not to overtighten when mounting the brackets themselves, but they do work a treat and keep your centre triangle free.
  • chaz81
    I had a D-Lock that came with a bracket, which I then lost, because I'm clever like that.

I went to my LBS who fitted a generic bracket to hold the D-Lock, basically inside the main triangle.

It was too big/my bike was too small for water and d-lock, so I got a new lock in the end, but take yourself, your bike and your d-lock to a LBS and ask!

Hmm, LBS charged me £20 for a wheel straightening that they didn't even do! So I don't have much faith!

don't suppose you have a pic of yours?

As for keeping the frame free, I like using a rucksack so I wouldn't particularly want to clutter the bike with a rack.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Why do you need water bottles on your commute? How far are you travelling?

When I was commuting to and from uni I'd leave the heavy lock at uni.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • chaz81
    TommyEss wrote:
    Why do you need water bottles on your commute? How far are you travelling?

When I was commuting to and from uni I'd leave the heavy lock at uni.

My commute is about ten miles - London N111 ->Nw6.

I'm not particularly fit at the moment, so appreciate the water. My place of work is VERY secure, so I don't need the lock there, I just wish to eliminate my need for a car for most other journeys. I don't want to leave my £500 bike unlocked or with a poor quality cable lock. The D lock I have was in the region of £50, as it's a few months old I'd be reluctant to replace!
  • TommyEss
    Fair do's - does it foul both bottle cages?

You could also look at those saddle mounted bottle cages some of the tri guys use - I think they're pretty fugly, but they seem to work.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • chaz81
    TommyEss wrote:
    Fair do's - does it foul both bottle cages?

You could also look at those saddle mounted bottle cages some of the tri guys use - I think they're pretty fugly, but they seem to work.

Just fouls the bottom bottle cage. It did come with a bracket, but I couldn't angle the lock to fit. It's now lost!

I'm thinking possibly some foam padding and some velcro staps?
  • Chaz81 wrote:
    I had a D-Lock that came with a bracket, which I then lost, because I'm clever like that.

Hmm, LBS charged me £20 for a wheel straightening that they didn't even do! So I don't have much faith!

Afraid not, no. Doesn't hurt to ask them, you don't HAVE to take up any offer they make you.
  • TommyEss
    I'd be wary of a bit of velcro - if it slips going over a pothole it could be very nasty - could strike the cranks, the wheel, your ankle...

I'd say realistically though one water bottle should be more than enough for 10 miles - it's not like you're commuting at a racing pace or anything?

Drink one over the course of the ride, then refill it at work and drink the same again once you get to your desk (but don't gulp it down as you'll get stomach cramps)
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Here you go - lockblocks

http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Go to a bike shop and see what they recommend.
    My commuter bike frame's quite small, but I've mounted the lock bracket on the top tube so the D-lock hangs underneath it. It slightly fouls the downtube-mounted water bottle cage, so I've slightly angled the lock carrier sideways so the D-lock hangs against the outside of the bottle cage. Doesn't get in my way and the water bottle's still accessible.

Most D-locks come with a range of mounting options, including on the seat tube pointing backwards alongside the seat stays - should get around your bottle problems.
    Misguided Idealist
  • chaz81
    Chaz81 wrote:

Afraid not, no. Doesn't hurt to ask them, you don't HAVE to take up any offer they make you.

went out for a short 5 mile spin to the supermarchet today! On the way back popped into LBS to find that it had been completely transformed! Gone were the shocking chinese bikes and miserable staff, and in were premium brands and enthusiastic young staff.

Managed to get an old 'fisheroutdoor' bracket, which was getting thrown out with all the junk outside. £2! They even threw in some cable end caps for nothing. I know where I'll be going in future and I'm glad I made the trip.

Also managed to scalp a husband and wife on a viner and bianchi - not bad for a 'Hybrid' from Halfords! The double take as I went past in trainrs and rolled up jeans was great!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Have you tried embedding it in James Martin's head?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.