Dentist

pepelepew
pepelepew Posts: 180
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Had root canal done. Mouth feels like I've got a golf ball wedged in it, been hit with a hammer, and I only know I'm dribbling when I wipe my chin.

Just thought I'd share it with you.
Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
Det. Sgt. George Carter: Boll@cks.

Comments

• ...I told him not to eat so many sweets
  • Mothyman wrote:
    ...I told him not to eat so many sweets

Mmmmmm, sherbert lemons. They're the work of the devil.
    Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
  • That reminds me, I have to book an appointment for a check up soon. Hope he has the same assistant as last time. She was quite lovely. I bet she thought I was worth giving one to as well, at least until I yelped when he applied the the Crown he was fitting. The adhesive was cold :oops:
  • did they knock you out for it?

my dentist knocks you out for most procedures, not that I'm complaining as I hate the drill.
    always seem to wake up with a sore arse though.....never figured that out!
  • Before he started work on you ..you should have grabed him by the 'nuts' and said

"Now where not going to hurt each other are we"
  • Last time i went i ended up spitting the stuff they give you to clean your mouth out all over the assistant.
  • mrchrispy wrote:
    did they knock you out for it?

my dentist knocks you out for most procedures, not that I'm complaining as I hate the drill.
    always seem to wake up with a sore ars* though.....never figured that out!

Christ, I'd be checking myself afterwards if he knocked me out every time I went. See if my pants were still on the right way around! :shock:

No, local. Having it done was fine, it's the anaesthetic that's the pain so to speak. All that dribbling and only being able to eat on one side. Dreading having a cup of tea, it'll probably end up running down my chin onto my lap.

It's starting to wear off and itching now.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited September 2009
    I had a root canal filling a few years back. Just had locals, applied in two or three places. At one point the dentist put in a couple of screws, presumably to act as anchors for whatever the filling was, and I remember the sensations of these things being rammed into my jawbone was oddly thrilling -- a sort of detacted curuiosity due to the lack of any pain.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had to have some work done when I was in Angola in 1995. the dentist had a pedal power drill and a bucket of salt water to rinse with, still have nightmares about it.
  • Before he started work on you ..you should have grabed him by the 'nuts' and said

"Now where not going to hurt each other are we"

I asked a Dentist years ago is this about to hurt? He said that you have to have a little bit of pain to avoid the big pain, I didnt think it a good idea to squeeze his nuts when he was holding a drill in my mouth, he might have panicked.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Last time I went to the dentist it was for a filling. I was a bit pushed for time and when he asked 'Do you want me to numb it for you?' I confidently said 'Nah, I'll be fine'. It was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. I was around three nanoseconds from needing to be scraped from the ceiling.

Anaesthetic FTW.
  • Couldn't wait and told the emergency dentist to rip it out, kinda regret it though :(
    Keep getting food wedged down the hole :x
  • I had to have my 2 front teeth crowned after I bit a road with them and snapped them on the way home one night. That was wired as there was no nerve damage and thus no need for anaesthetic, they just sort of heat bonded the bottom half of my teeth back on.

I was drinking beer within 3 hours of breaking them and having 5 stitches in my top lip too. Cos I'm that hard.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I had to have my 2 front teeth crowned after I bit a road with them and snapped them on the way home one night. That was wired as there was no nerve damage and thus no need for anaesthetic, they just sort of heat bonded the bottom half of my teeth back on.

I was drinking beer within 3 hours of breaking them and having 5 stitches in my top lip too. Cos I'm that hard.

8)
  • I did the same - broke my front teeth, got them capped with no anaesthetic.

Went home thinking I was Cuck Norris, then had a glass of coke straight out the fridge - F**K me I've never felt pain like it!
  • One crown and three fillings this year, after nothing for 30yrs. Most pain
    involved paying the bill £600+. :( :shock:

Now have insurance from Tesco's

I do love the sensation of trying to rinse your mouth out, when the whole
    of one side is numb, and the dental nurse is "totty". :oops: :oops:

'Another coffee or are we off...'
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    When I was a kid aged about 10 years old (a long time ago), I had eight teeth out in one go! So I feel for you mate. Not nice.

But to make you feel better, I read a book called “A million little pieces” by author James Frey a while ago? It’s a great book about a drug addict trying to get clean. In it he describes, and tells of having root canal work done on both his front teeth with NO, yes NO anaesthetic! He tells a fantastic story of excruciating pain. My teeth went into hiding as I read it!

So think what he went through! There you feel better already! :D
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I've got some braces in now. At least they're invisible. Kinda like clear plastic gum shields.

I was supposed to have my knashers straightened 20 odd years ago. Then it was scaffolding in the chops & nothing else. At 15 I didn't fancy looking like that James Bond baddie who bites thru stuff.
  • Stefano I got a tooth out right from the back the the dental hospital in Glasgow- its where they have trainee dentists.

Small woman (very tidy but small) being watched over by her tutor as she tries to numb me. 5 attempts she thinks she has it numbed, by this point my whole head feels wooly and my mouth has more of the gunk in it than my gums.

They have no drills to spare (apparently they keep them for proper emergencies) so they are just trying to yank this tooth out. I am making all sorts of noises its so stunningly painful as she is pulling away at this broken tooth. She doesnt have the strength needed to pull it out! Tutor steps in and asks do you think your mouth is numb enough, can you feel pain, it should be pressure. 'ain, oww ahh I mumble through a numb mouth.

Tutor gives the student a look, grabs a huge needle, bang staight in. Doesnt wait for it to take effect just dives in, starts pulling the tooth that hard my head is getting pulled from side to side till it pops out with a big amount of blood.

All done he says and walks off while me and the student look at each other stunned.

Get given a tissue and sent off home, staggering down sauchiehall street at lunchtime, swaying groggy and mouth dripping blood. I blend in well with the locals mind you.

Hasn't stopped me eating sweets and drinking fizzy juice mind.
  • Bunch of wuftas! alcohol; pliers; superglue, sorted :lol:

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    Bunch of wuftas! alcohol; pliers; superglue, sorted :lol:

...and if you dont agree I'll gum you senseless.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mothyman wrote:
    Bunch of wuftas! alcohol; pliers; superglue, sorted :lol:

...and if you dont agree I'll gum you senseless.....

Woah there matey, steady on the gum threating-ness. :shock:
  • Last time I went to the dentist with my family for a check up it was a locum.

Firkin' 'ell, rough or what?

Mrs tank came out with her eyes watering and my daughter was all but in tears. I got in the chair thinking, Go on hurt me you b@st@rd, I needent have worried, Crikey me I could barely eat for three days (honestly).

The chap was of middle eastern origins. IF he is one of these so called much needed professionals this counry is desperate to fill the skills gap i think we can do without his particular (rough as @rseholes) sort.

My usual dentist will be back in December, a very pleasant Dutch lady who dosen't inflict pain along the lines of the pain inflicted on Dustin Hoffman in marathon man.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.