Will a Topeak Beam Rack Damage a "Carbon Wrapped"

bumpitybump
bumpitybump Posts: 76
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
I have a Topeak Beam rack which I've been using very successfully on an alloy seat posted mountain bike for commuting. The Topeak system works really well and I've been lugging loads of stuff to and from work in a Topeak trunk bag which just clips on.

I've just bought myself a new Specialized Sirrus Comp which has a "Carbon Wrapped" seatpost i.e. carbon mat over an alloy seatpost.

Can I use the Topeak Beam rack safely or will it destroy the pretty looking carbon wrapping? From searching forums I know the clamp would damage a 'proper' carbon sea tpost but I'm not sure about mine.

Anyone know ? Thanks.
exercise.png
FCN = 8

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Yes, it will at best damage the finish, at worst if the carbon layer is structural (as some are) it will create a stress concentration and the post will fail.
  • Roastie wrote:
    Yes, it will at best damage the finish, at worst if the carbon layer is structural (as some are) it will create a stress concentration and the post will fail.
    MAY fail.

Roastie has a bad relationship with carbon posts. He's almost through the reconstructive surgery.

Chances are its every bit as strong as an alloy post. I imagine that you will be fine.
  • thanks for the replies - think I'll order a new alloy seat post!
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8