maxxis tyres

matt cupid
matt cupid Posts: 28
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have recently been using maxxis high rollers (super tacky) for trail riding and xc but have found them to roll terable and sap any speed and effort i put in . they are very good in the wet and mud though. but has any body else had this problem ?

i'am now thinking of using something that will roll realy well but still grip and corner well and have been advised to get some maxxis aspens what does every one think about them?

Comments

• robinta
    robinta Posts: 211
    I have no experience of the aspens but the ardents are superb. Great compromise - easy rolling, light and good cornering ability.
  • nevegals, sticky one up front if a lot of roots and rocks.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Super Tacky at each end? If so, no wonder you are struggling a bit! Try them in 60A compound, rear first if you like the grip of the ST one up front.
    I run an Ardent on my 29er up front and am impressed enough to buy some for the 'normal' bike- not tried 'em yet tho...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i have a rendez on the back, and it seems great, quite fast to
    what are brakes for again
  • Maxxis make great tyres! A great all-rounder is the Ignitor. Grippy in most conditions, good side-walls and roll quite fast.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    continental rubber queens, of course.

Image0054.jpg

Perfect for the Alps, loads of grip. Yet still fine for the road climbs. Apart from jeycore xc racing and gnarlcore dh racing, I can't see a situation where they're not perfect.
  • Never had a problem with my highrollers, I run the tacky on the front and the normal 60a on the back, don't see any real reason to run a super tacky on the back, all I hear is about how much they drag but haven't got many others to compare them to and I've never had an issue with them.

I sometimes run the maxxis advantage in the back, can't say it rolls any better or worse that i've noticed (tho I run the 2.4 version, 2.25 just seems too thin) but my local routes make mincemeat of single ply tyre walls (which is why I like the double ply highrollers).

I have also on occasion run the hollyrollers, quite fun on dry trails and definately faster than any of my other tyres, but they need to be run at higher pressures and can take a bit of getting used to (drifty turns are fun)
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I have the 62a Highroller LUST both front and back. IMO they roll really well and offer superb grip round the bends, best tyre I've tried yet :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Where do you do most of your riding ?

The guys at Skyline (Glyncorrwg, Afan) run Advantage up front and crossmark on the back of all thier demo bikes. They reccon thats all you need around the trails in all but the very worst mud.

my other half runs Ardent up front and either crossmark or Ignitor on back (weather dependant) and wont run anything else.

I run Conti MK's F&R year round and love 'em.

try a few and see what suits you and your riding.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Mountain Kings are quite fast but I've never been happy with them in damp conditions. High Rollers do roll slower but really do grip well and give loads of confidence. I' thinking of trying the Aspens as a middle way....and they got a reasonable review in Mountain Biking UK this month.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, it's because you've got the sticky rubber, you'd feel the same if you got stick-e nevegals or similiar. They're designed as slow, grippy tyres. As Ratty said, try a standard compound on the back first, that'll speed things up a lot without too much loss. High Rollers are great tyres, one of the best allrounders.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i use a minion st up front and a high roller 60a rear perfect combo for these parts

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • thanks for the advice everyone . yes i am running supertacky front and rear so thinking of keeping the super tacky on the front and running a normal compond on the rear.
    am defo sticking to high rollers especialy with all this wet weather recently.

cheers