Decent commuting/racing glasses

Kanga
Kanga Posts: 131
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
As 'summer' is fast disappearing my old sunnies are too dark for the ride home, so time to invest in another pair of multi-lens glasses for daily commuting and the odd race/training ride. Had a pair of Wiggle's DHBs as a freebie, but the flimsy frame snapped shortly after so have spare lenses and case, but wouldn't touch them again. Not a brand bunnie, so doesn't strike me as £200+ uber-cool kinda problem, just something reasonable that works.

Any sage advice welcome :)

Comments

• AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Kanga wrote:
    As 'summer' is fast disappearing my old sunnies are too dark for the ride home, so time to invest in another pair of multi-lens glasses for daily commuting and the odd race/training ride. Had a pair of Wiggle's DHBs as a freebie, but the flimsy frame snapped shortly after so have spare lenses and case, but wouldn't touch them again. Not a brand bunnie, so doesn't strike me as £200+ uber-cool kinda problem, just something reasonable that works.

Any sage advice welcome :)

The ones from Aldi are great, £3.99 if I remember correctly, you might be lucky and find a pair.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • have you tried the uvex range racers are good 3 lenses retail of 39,99 also worth looking at the Crow pro at 79.99 they are the dogs danglies
    dont only ride a bike
  • If your budget can stretch to it, I'd recommend one of the pairs with the auto darkening lenses. I have a pair of Rudy Project ones that are completely clear normally and go to a dark grey tint in bright sunlight.

They are ideal as I can wear them to keep the crap out of my eyes on my commute even in the dark. I think you can get them for around the 90 - 100 mark, so not cheap, but they seem to be pretty well designed and put together.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The basic Oakley M frames are only about 60 quid with a clear lens - perfect for saving your eyes in the dark.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I replaced my DHB ones that I snapped on friday with some cheapos from decathlon only £8 feel much sturdier than the DHBs and although there's a bit of a gap around the cheeks they keep all the cack out and don't mist up. They come with clear and black lenses.

Oh but they look poo! 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Tip of the day: Safety specs are dirt cheap, and no longer look rubbish...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89679/Wor ... ety-Specs#
  • I just bought a pair of Bolle "safety glasses" on Ebay Buy it Now for next to nothing. Type "Bolle clear" in the ebay search tool.
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • Or check out Bolle ESP. When I break or loose a pair I just get another.

http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/3/index.htm
  • hillrep
    hillrep Posts: 46
    I too use Bolle "safety glasses" bought from ebay. There are a variety of styles available, they work very well and are astonishingly cheap!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Tip of the day: Safety specs are dirt cheap, and no longer look rubbish...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89679/Wor ... ety-Specs#

Does anyone make fashionable lab coats as well? Or do you still have to write witty things all over your lab coat, spill some acid on it and set fire to the sleeve in order to look cool with your fashionable safety specs?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got a pair of Rudy Project wrap arounds, they have interchangeable lenses... they've lasted me 4 years so far
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Does anyone make fashionable lab coats as well? Or do you still have to write witty things all over your lab coat, spill some acid on it and set fire to the sleeve in order to look cool with your fashionable safety specs?

Of course! No self respecting science hippy is seen in white these days:

lab-coats-5-4-09-260x250.jpg
  • +1 on the safety glasses.

I use these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Tools_Index/Dewalt_Safety_Glasses/index.html

There's a couple of different styles, including vented.

Cheap enough to not worry if you break them or lose them.
  • I've been using these since last year;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_U ... 360036389/

They do me fine, but I did get a set of these when I subscribed to MBUK;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_P ... 360036778/

Both pairs seem to do a decent enought job.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    endura stingrays.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Oakley Half Jackets are good, but expensve, as you can swap the lenses for what you need at the time.

However, for day to day commuting then a pair of safety specs are fine.
  • i work in this sector and may be able to set up a group buy on a certain type of sunglasses- some with gentle tints for low light levels, others for contrast enhancing lenses to allow road contours more easy to detect

anyone interested- especially if you live in devon or cornwall (would be useful to get a reviewers opinion) you may be able to try a pair for free :D

PM me :D
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    i work in this sector and may be able to set up a group buy on a certain type of sunglasses- some with gentle tints for low light levels, others for contrast enhancing lenses to allow road contours more easy to detect

anyone interested- especially if you live in devon or cornwall (would be useful to get a reviewers opinion) you may be able to try a pair for free :D

PM me :D

question is can you do them with perscription lenses?
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    If you've got the cash go for prescription Oakley M Frames - utterly brilliant in every way but pricey.
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2