Freeview?

Hercule Q
Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
edited October 2009 in The Crudcatcher
what is going on with this rubbish i'v just had to retune the bastard thing and now the channels are all to pot :evil:

IT WAS FINE THE WAY IT WAS!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

pinkbike
Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!

Comments

• lol mines way better... I can actually watch channel 4 films now :lol:

Gutted that I missed Ronin last week :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Retune again Hercule.

Though some older boxes won't work well.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i haven't retuned mine because my remote is kind of broken. but all the channels are still working :D btw how many times can film 4 repeat the same film, it's so annoying :x
  • Just wait til you get the full switch over, quite a lot of set top boxes lose loads of channels!

I missed the last series of Top Gear coz the missus's freeview box wouldn't get BBC2...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Hercule Q
    we've already "switched over" down here and the signal quality is now shite

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hercule Q wrote:
    I thought Wales was the first, it's due in about a week. At least that's what our leaflet/propoganda told us.

Anyway, as far as Freeview is concerned, vista (or 7's) Media Center is the dog's danglies. Totally wipes the floor with Sky+
  • I wanted a simple life, thanks to V+ it is, shame i don't use it much now haha
  • Anonymous
    What's V+?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 018/review

Virgins cable tv box by the looks of it
  • Anonymous
    meh. Can't get cable here anyway. Media center wins again then :lol:
  • yeah its virgin tv basically, that is the down side some areas don't have cable enabled! bad times...
  • Anonymous
    Even if I had cable, I'd probably still opt for Media center as a receiver box.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    What's V+?
    Sky+ less good looking sister. Still, she's a bit dirtier though so makes up for it.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Hercule Q
    sky + is awesome my dad got it and bought a whole package just for extreme sports channel :D

the south west had the switch over in april we went fully digital on april the 9th in my town

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    Sky+ is crap. The damned thing keeps crashing, or forgetting to record, or just generally fuggs up. And that high-frequency hum? Man, that drives me insane.

Stupid stupid stupid machine.

It is, however, infinitely better than any freeview "box".
  • blister pus
    I ended up changing the hard drive in the sky plus box for the glitches and sticks, cured a great deal actually.
  • Anonymous
    What did you swap it for? I'm guessing they're cheapo 54,000RPM notebook drives?
    If I replaced it with a better disk, how do I format it to whatever Sky needs? is it ext-3?

And, are all the glitches gone, or is it just an improvement?
  • blister pus
    Well it makes you laugh when you open it up and look inside and realise everything is stored on an ancient £10 Seagate IDE drive. I just figured mine was on the way out because of the glitches so swapped for an equivalent current day Seagate IDE drive and it cured the bulk of glitching and stalling of programs and it was generally smoother. You'll have to see what wire-age you've got in there to fit a SATA drive, I was told you can no problem.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll find the pdf with the instructions but from memory you don't do much at all, sky does it on reboot. But let me check the procedure and the SATA question.
  • Anonymous
    Ok, cool, cheers.

Now if only Sky would market a PCI, or PCI-express sattelite receiver, huh?
  • Hercule Q wrote:
    I thought Wales was the first, it's due in about a week. At least that's what our leaflet/propoganda told us.

The west of Cumbria went first then we followed a couple of months ago.
    Sky+ is crap....

Stupid stupid stupid machine.

It is, however, infinitely better than any freeview "box".

I've got PlayTV/PS3 for my freeview duties- works a treat. Upped my HD to 320 too- don't think the the standard 40gb would lasted very long :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • how do you use media center to watch tv i cant work it out?
  • Anonymous
    how do you use media center to watch tv i cant work it out?
    If you have a TV receiver, it guides you through it. Then it's like using a properly thought out version of Sky's system.
  • and in english?
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    havent checked mine yet as i dont watch tv :?
  • Daz555 wrote:
    What's V+?
    Sky+ less good looking sister. Still, she's a bit dirtier though so makes up for it.

have to agree, although i don't really watch much TV myself, got it for the missus mainly, i was more bothered about the 20 meg broadband!
  • Anonymous
    and in english?
    Ok. I'll try.
    You need to buy a thing called a Freeview receiver, for your computer. These can be either USB (like a memory stick) which plugs into a USB slot on your computer, or alternatively a piece of circuit board, or "PCI card" that goes inside your PC, just like a graphics board.

Once you have that in place, start Vista, or Windows 7, and it should automatically configure it.
    Next, open up Windows Media center, and it will guide you through setting up the TV signal, programme guide, and bob's your father's brother.
    Then, you will have something that looks like this....
    THIS
    THIS,
    Or THIS
  • blister pus
    Ok, cool, cheers.

Now if only Sky would market a PCI, or PCI-express sattelite receiver, huh?

Temporary hold up is the pdf is on a different hdd. Case of Ip-Dip-Dog-Sh!t as to which one. So bare with me. :P
  • blister pus
    Right, Mr Mcgee, YMMV for what it fixes exactly, it fixed the bulk of what I said above for me, but for the cost of a new IDE drive it's worth a punt I reckon.

So take a look in your box and a) see what hdd you have in there b) see what wire-age you have. That will determine what you buy obviously - you can increase the hdd capacity but sky won't use it (part of the way sky proprietary storage formatting works apparently)

I followed the following procedures after I'd replaced the original IDE hdd (copying jumper set up, etc).

- Once your box is fully assembled >> power up >> wait 2 minutes >> press Sky key.

- Perform A - "Full System Reset" (press services, 4, 01 Select, 8 Housekeeping)

- Wait for box to restart (normally <3 minutes for a 120GB drive and <45 minutes for a 250GB drive)

- Again wait 2 minutes and press the Sky key.

- Test for correct operation.

- Re-enable "Instant rewind" and re-enter your series links.