Most dull personalities of the current cycling stars?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Here's a good one for a cake stop.... who do you think is the most dull on the current scene personality-wise??? I mean, people who you could listen to if you didn't have some interesting paint you had to go and watch dry or something (cycling abilities NOT considered)

I'll start by stirring it up by saying just imagine being stuck on a night out with:
Boasson Hagen & Contador

(thank god for Cancellara, Cavendish, Wiggins, Evans, all the real characters, love them or hate them)

Comments

• Rob Hayles' race analysis, though his catatonic monotone voice contrasted quite well with Hugh Porter's over-excitable verbal fluff during the WCH.
  • +1 for Rob Hayles, who on earth thought he made a good commentator ?
  • I've not been following pro cycling long so don't know about many rider's personalities, but I agree that Boassen Hagen came across as very boring on his ToB interviews. Then again, Kimi Raikkonen is legendary for his bland, monosyllabic interviews, but by all accounts he's a right party animal away from the F1 paddock. Who knows, off the bike EBH might be like a cross between Russell Brand and Rodney Dangerfield.
  • Not a cyclist, but Federer has about as much personality as a roll of carpet.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Get Sean Kelly off the TV and I'll be happy
  • Sean Kelly is a deadpan legend.

I can't think of anything more dull than a night on the tiles with Contador. If he happened to bring Levi Leipheimer with him i'd certainly be washing my hair.

That said, I bet Vino is awesome, like that kid everyone knew who'd take anything they'd give him.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mfin
    edited September 2009
    I agree with the Sean Kelly stuff, but I was more looking for riders (i chucked the word cycling in the title now that wasn't there at the start if anyones reading this for the first time)....

The sports seen so many characters over the years and it plays such a part in laying down these people in folklore.

(Formula 1 is always going to take the biscuit... who'd want to have to spend more than 5 minutes with Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell for god's sake!??! ...but look at something like Boxing, full of characters)

It also makes me wonder how these people work... like, take Sky with Boasson Hagen now, if you're one of those riders who might be working for him in a lot of races then that's gonna filll you with enthusiasm isn't it... bet he can really whip up the troops and make you feel like he's a terrific guy worth putting the effort in for. Fact is, there's never gonna be a lot of that with him or Contador but perhaps working for the win is enough for most people.

Personally I wouldn't wanna work day to day putting in superhuman efforts for someone who seems so boring you wouldn't wanna spend any more time with them than it took to woof down your morning toast!

Plus... it takes more than a result sheet to be considered a legend.
  • How about Andy Murray and Tiger Woods they're both so dull they'd make you want to slit your wrists.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Sick to the back teeth of Cadel.
  • hehe Cadel Evans :-) I called him Cadle once, as in ladle, he didn't like it one bit.... fair dues to him though, he's World Champ now :)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    edited September 2009
    Paul Manning, took me awhile to find out what his name was, i guess i thought he was that bad, i forgot his name.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mfin wrote:
    Here's a good one for a cake stop.... who do you think is the most dull on the current scene personality-wise??? I mean, people who you could listen to if you didn't have some interesting paint you had to go and watch dry or something (cycling abilities NOT considered)

I'll start by stirring it up by saying just imagine being stuck on a night out with:
    Boasson Hagen & Contador

(thank god for Cancellara, Cavendish, Wiggins, Evans, all the real characters, love them or hate them)

Completely the opposite in person, he was like a giddy schoolboy! Really nice lad.
  • David Millar. An intelligent and thoughtful guy but the way he comes across to me is that everything seems to be, well, a bit of an effort frankly. Do you know what I mean?
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • mfin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Boasson Hagen & Contador

Completely the opposite in person, he was like a giddy schoolboy! Really nice lad.

Doesn't appear to be a cracking conversationalist or intriguing character at all to me! ...maybe he's got two personailites... well, no, make that one, its just that he keeps it solely for 'off the camera life' and the rest of the time when we get to see him he likes to pause this personality and then even manage to make simple things like breathing look difficult!

Don't worry, I'm sure he's nice enough, just v dull and we like our sporting heroes to be real personalities don't we?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh, I'm not worried! That was my experience of meeting with him and talking to him...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Danilo Di Luca.
  • It just might be that they are like rabbits in a headlight if people are sticking cameras and mic's into their faces. I know I would be and I would say that I have a good personality.
    I wonder if the big riders get any media coaching like footballers/big sports players do?
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    MingMong wrote:
    Sick to the back teeth of Cadel.

His press performance in the 2008 tour was hardly dull!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    johnfinch wrote:
    Danilo Di Luca.

He may be dull, but his eyes.....

The eyes....
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Mark Lawrenson and Alan 'watch me run full-pelt into Willie Miller' Hansen........or for the oldies, Emlyn Hughes and Bill Beaumont........
  • Sean Yates has REALLY gone down hill,IMO
    No wonder Contador said he struggles to understand him!
    I've heard of laid back,but it looks like he struggles to get out of bed
    The guy looks ill,& sounds at least as bad
    Proof that a top pro don't always make a good comentator
    RE Rob Hayles,I got a good pic of him doing the old sticky bottle trick climbing Waddington Fell in this years TOB
    Shame I've no idea whatsoever about posting/hosting pics etc!!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • I think Sean Yates has been ill lately?!?!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Yea,...but he was like this last year also
    so many cols,so little time!