Greenwich Foot Tunnell

newburb_1968
newburb_1968 Posts: 114
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all,
My normal cummute to central London as a detour tomorrow and I have to commute to Mile End.
I was thinking of going through Rotherhithe tunnell, but been through there before and it was full of exhust fumes, so I was thinking I could use the Greenwich Foot tunnell.

I have never used the foot tunnell and have no idea what it is like or if I can use it.

So does anyone else use it around 6.30 in the morning?
Is it usualble for cyclist?
Is it well lit?
Can you cycle or must walk?
Is it safe?
What's the access like?

Any information would be great please?
Thanks
Barry

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yes you can use but not for long as it's being closed for maintenance.

You have to walk the bike through and well lit.

Access at that time would be via the stairs
  • Isn't it closed now for 10 months ?
  • No, it's still open, the ten month closure was all scaremongering, it will not be 100% closed at all apprently.

I went through it with the kids after the skyride....lifts broken down, carrying four bikes up the stairs was no fun!
    Red/white Felt F75 '09
    Cannon St-Charlton.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Backsplash wrote:
    it will not be 100% closed at all apprently.!

So you can go 99% of the way? :shock:
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Hi all,
    My normal cummute to central London as a detour tomorrow and I have to commute to Mile End.
    I was thinking of going through Rotherhithe tunnell, but been through there before and it was full of exhust fumes, so I was thinking I could use the Greenwich Foot tunnell.

I have never used the foot tunnell and have no idea what it is like or if I can use it.

Tunnel is very handy, well lit, open 24hrs. However at least one of the lifts is always broken in my experience so there is a good chance that you will have to carry your bike up a bunch of stairs. I think it is not too bad, but if you have panniers and a heavy bike I suspect you might not agree with me.

You are required to get off and push your bike, so between the walk and the stairs or waiting for the lift, it is going to slow you down a bit but it is the best crossing option in the area.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Lifts operate (when they operate) 7am to 7pm

So at 6.30am you will be carrying your bike down and up

However, even given the carry, the route is vastly preferable to the Rotherhythe Tunnel

Only other options are the Woolwich ferry or Tower Bridge
  • If you don't mind paying £5 you can get the Thames Clipper boats from Greenwich to Canary Wharf I think.
  • The clippers are fantastic!

We got one back from a gig at the 02 to Embankment one evening and it was a lovely way to travel, away from the 1000's of sheep that descended into the depths enmass to pile onto the sweatfilled crushmachines called tube trains.
    us0.png
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    FeynmanC wrote:
    The clippers are fantastic!

We got one back from a gig at the 02 to Embankment one evening and it was a lovely way to travel, away from the 1000's of sheep that descended into the depths enmass to pile onto the sweatfilled crushmachines called tube trains.

Yep, would recommend them to anybody travelling to a gig at the o2.

Used them to get to a gig over the summer, would now say that a few drinks around Embankment then hopping onto the (pre-booked) high-speed direct clipper to the venue is the only way to see a gig at the o2. Superb service!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Thx so it is good to use and I must be prepared to carry bike down stairs at that time.

Is it safe that time of morning are there other cyclist/pedestrians about?
    How far down is the carry? How much time for a average person to carry up and down(Is it similar to the tube spiral stairs?)

It's one of those unkowns until you use it? or you live in the area?

Thanks for your help so far
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Thx so it is good to use and I must be prepared to carry bike down stairs at that time.

How far down is the carry? How much time for a average person to carry up and down(Is it similar to the tube spiral stairs?)

Will only take you a minute to carry at each end. It just might feel a bit longer than that on the way up.... :twisted:
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I used to use it regularly occasionally it gets snarled up with tourists and schoolkids - and even more occasionally you get film crews down there...but mostly it's pretty clear - always other people about - I've been through at 3 in the morning - always lit up. Make sure you're not carrying too much heavy crap in your panniers like i used to sometimes when the lifts broke down :roll:

Feel free to chat with the lift operators even though a couple of them are utter grumpy b@stards and may ignore you or just tell you to turn you flashing red light off.

In the end I decided I prefered to stay in the light and used the woolwich Ferry instead.
  • Is it safe that time of morning are there other cyclist/pedestrians about?

I think the biggest danger is from these inconsiderate cylists who bomb it down the tunnel while standing on the pedals (so technically they aren't riding their bike).
  • How far down is the carry? How much time for a average person to carry up and down(Is it similar to the tube spiral stairs?)

It's got spiral stairs which are quite wide. IIRC, there are 100 steps at the Greenwich end. but they're not particularly big steps. It's always been safe when I've gone through but the echoes can be a bit unnerving as there's a dip and you can't always see where the noise is coming from.

Years ago, very late at night, I got stopped by one of the Metropolitan Police's finest at the Island Garden end and he asked me if I was ''taking anything through to the other side?'' So, just in case, best not to smuggle anything from the Isle of Dogs to Greenwich, they can be a bit strange on that side of the river.
  • Capo
    Capo Posts: 439
    Used to live in Greenwich and since the boats have been mentioned, I need to share this:

7th July 2005.

Wife and I came back from holiday in France on the 5th, celebrated Olympic Games announcement in Trafalgar Square on the 6th, went back to work on the 7th.

Well, we all know what happened that morning.

So, mid-afternoon, our respective workplaces have let us go, we don't have bikes, so arrange to meet near Embankment Pier to get the boat home.

The senior bloke from the boat company was great, told us that they had contingency plans in place for events like this, the river being viewed as one of London's key east/west (and vice-versa) evacuation routes.

So far, so professional.

The boat filled up pretty quickly, but was eerily silent. Let's face it, everyone was a bit in shock and just wanted to get home safe to loved ones.

And that's when one of the crew - with enough gold braid to have shamed a Royal Navy captain, but effectively just a deckhand, got on the tannoy.

"Ladies and gentleman, normally we'd give a commentary of all the sights along the river for the tourists, obviously we'll understand if you don't want that today, but can we have a show of hands, raise your arm if you'd like that".

Not a single arm was raised, some people looked embarrassed, some uncomfortable, some looked like they were on the verge of telling him to shut up.

Nevertheless, Seaman Staines, Master Bates - well, whatever his name was - ploughed on regardless.

First, he pointed out the Houses of Parliament, saying that the fact the Union Flag was flying meant that "the lazy so-and-so's are doing some work for a change".

Yeah, probably debating how to respond to the fact that four suicide bombers had killed dozens of Londoners that morning.

Then, he helpfully pointed out "the pub where the crew like to go when we finish our shift".

Then, as we pulled into Tower Pier, he said - I kid you not - that the crew only gave this commentary as volunteers and that if we'd like to show our appreciation by putting some money in the hat, they'd all be grateful. I think a couple of people even did give him some money, more out of sheer disbelief at his effrontery than anything else.

The missus and I spent the rest of the journey to Greenwich talking each other out of going to confront him (that wouldn't have ended well, believe me).

I did write a letter to the company afterwards outlining the above and suggesting it might be nice if any money so collected went to the victims' families... never heard back though.

Sorry for darkening mood... just needed to vent about that. More than four years on I still can't quite believe it happened.
    Can\'t drive, won\'t drive
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    artaxerxes wrote:

I think the biggest danger is from these inconsiderate cylists who bomb it down the tunnel while standing on the pedals (so technically they aren't riding their bike).

Today was the first day I'd ever been through this tunnel (I was a pedestrian). A lot of people either do what you say and hurtle along at quite a speed or just cycle regardless of the no cycling signs painted on the floor every 50 yards.

The tunnel isn't that long so there's no excuse for it, damn lycra clad menaces :evil:
  • So You have convinced me, Greenwich tunnell it is?

And I will walk through it!!!!

Thanks again for your feedback.
    Barry
  • Yes! Used it this morning! and this afternoon! :D

Apart from carrying my bike up and down the stairs, it certainly done the trick.(Nothing like a bit of CORE work :D )
    Thanks for your advice will use again tomorrow.
    Regards
    Barry