Giant CRS Alliance 2010

miles.sillett
miles.sillett Posts: 5
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all,
I'm after some advice please.... the new giant crs alliance (2010) Hit miss or maybe?
it will fill my requirements but is it any good?

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bi ... 865/38995/

Thanks in advance

Miles

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Assuming you'll be on the road I've never seen the point of this bike that you couldn't get from a FCR and if your going for the flat bar road bike never really seen the point of not getting a Defy, which is cheaper than the CRS.

That said if you are say going to traverse a little bit of grass or very light trail then I suppose the CRS comes up trumps.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Assuming you'll be on the road I've never seen the point of this bike that you couldn't get from a FCR and if your going for the flat bar road bike never really seen the point of not getting a Defy, which is cheaper than the CRS.

That said if you are say going to traverse a little bit of grass or very light trail then I suppose the CRS comes up trumps.
    Thanks...
    there is a small part of my journey that is very very light trail hence why i was looking at the CRS how about Giant as a brand? are there components etc alright any horror stories?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I ride a carbon road bike with 23mm ultra-slick wheels on gravel paths with no ill effect (well, one puncture in maybe 2-3000 miles?). I don't think you need to compromise your entire remaining cycling experience just for that.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thanks...
    there is a small part of my journey that is very very light trail hence why i was looking at the CRS how about Giant as a brand? are there components etc alright any horror stories?

Biondino is right.

I have had two giants. A Giant M2 (hybrid) and a Giant SCR 3 (road bike).

I prefer my carbon bike to both my Giants (but then we are talking about £1500 difference). But as a commuter my SCR (replaced with the Giant Defy), which I bought for £350 has been a good work horse/servant all things considered.

Components you need to consider is the gears mainly, which wil be Shimano (which is the same for all bikes using Shimano gears). Post the models and price you want to spend and we'll advise.

If your buying a CRS alliance you should be around the FCR/Defy 1 2 and 2.5 range which will mean you're around the 105 and Tiagra group set, which is fine.

How far is the commute, where are you commuting to and from how much do you want to spend?

Read this Beginners guide very useful!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The commute is around 15miles give or take with less than a mile on light trail. maximum spend is £1000 i have also looked at the Giant Rapid series and the Trek 7.6/7.7fx but i prefer the giant of the two.

Thanks for your help so far its a lot of money and i want to get it right if i can so your help is appreciated
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm a little biased but I'm biased for a reason.

Having commuted on a hybrid a road bike and having bought a carbon fibre roadbike. There is no way I would spend £1000 on a hybrid (mountain bike no suspension or flat bar road bike) for use mainly on the road.

At a grand you are open to many a brilliant road bike Focus Cayo, Planet X, Ribble Sportive Racing, Focus Varido Expert all would chew those 15miles up and leave you wanting more on the weekend. They may look intimidating but they're loads of fun.

Failing that I'd probably go for a flat bar road bike I'd be leaning towards the Specialized Sirrus over the Giant but my last option would be the Giant CRS which if I remember was all about comfort and needless heavy (despite the Alliance version looking fast against the other bikes in the range).

If you are worried about tyre size width (if 23mm appears to be too small) fit slightly thicker harder wearing tyres Continnental 4 seasons 25mm will do the job.

Also when you're buying factor in lights, helmet, clothing, lock, innertube and pump as part of the start up costs. If you don't buy them right away you will do if you're planning on commuting.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Thanks for your help are there any brands that you would run a mile from?
  • DonDaddyD
    That's a hard question to answer with any answer coming down to personal preference. Some will say there aren't any bad brands at the £1000 mark. But there are some that they simply wouldn't buy with prior knowledge of a brand that suits them better.

I think what is best is if you make a short list of the models and type of bike you want and we can best advise you which is the best of your options.
    Food Chain number = 4