mingmong
mingmong Posts: 542
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
In your opinion...

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Genesis Altitude would be my choice.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Splasher wrote:
    Genesis Altitude would be my choice.

Added to the shortlist. Thanks.
  • for what? Rocklobster and Merlin frames are much lighter frame types than the P7 or 456 afaik

I have an Evil Sovereign and like that, it's in the 456 camp use (and weight) wise but without my midlife crisis egging me on, I'm not sure I could justify the price difference
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • for what? Rocklobster and Merlin frames are much lighter frame types than the P7 or 456 afaik

I have an Evil Sovereign and like that, it's in the 456 camp use (and weight) wise but without my midlife crisis egging me on, I'm not sure I could justify the price difference

Cheers Bomber.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Any one looking for a Steel HT for a hardcore ht progect would be silly to get anything but the 456. someone looking for a steel HT for hard fast XC would be silly to look past a scandal.
    my opinnion.
    And.......ARGUE!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Any one looking for a Steel HT for a hardcore ht progect would be silly to get anything but the 456. someone looking for a steel HT for hard fast XC would be silly to look past a scandal.
    my opinnion.
    And.......ARGUE!

Noted and added
  • Any one looking for a Steel HT for a hardcore ht progect would be silly to get anything but the 456. someone looking for a steel HT for hard fast XC would be silly to look past a scandal.
    my opinnion.
    And.......ARGUE!

no need to argue; the scandal is aluminium :P

as for the 456, it's hard to fault on value alone, frankly
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • What do you intend to do with this steel hardtail? There are loads not mentioned in this thread that might be applicable.
  • What do you intend to do with this steel hardtail? There are loads not mentioned in this thread that might be applicable.

II ride in the Peak District and Wharncliffe as well as open trails. Not big hit stuff though. Something that I can climb and descend over fairly rocky stuff though. I'd say a mixture of XC and AM 70:30 ratio.

What do you think?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    all these bikes are just frames, you need to think about full builds, or what your gonna put on the frame, that is what makes the bike wht it is, the 456 can be built up as a short travel XC bike or a long travel beast!
    also, i didnt realise the scandel was alu, sorry!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • MingMong wrote:
    What do you intend to do with this steel hardtail? There are loads not mentioned in this thread that might be applicable.

II ride in the Peak District and Wharncliffe as well as open trails. Not big hit stuff though. Something that I can climb and descend over fairly rocky stuff though. I'd say a mixture of XC and AM 70:30 ratio.

What do you think?

Then add Pipedream's Sirius (new 725 tubing) to the list.
  • MingMong wrote:
    What do you intend to do with this steel hardtail? There are loads not mentioned in this thread that might be applicable.

What do you think?

Then add Pipedream's Sirius (new 725 tubing) to the list.

Cheers Blister
  • MingMong wrote:
    I'd say a mixture of XC and AM 70:30 ratio.
    I'd go for the On One 456 of those listed, it takes some beating on value for money and I'll have to give my own bike a shout (Charge Duster), I do a similar split of riding.

oh and aren't the Merlin Malt frames all alu? so "Merlin" shouldn't be in the poll with "RockLobster"
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • I'd have to put Cotic Soul in the pot, one of these is top of my list for my next bike, although they aren't cheap.
    Built with pikes, XT kit, M4 brakes, should be ideal(for me at least, and i'd say my riding is about the same split as yours).

New colours should be announced early october time as well 8)
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • CycloRos wrote:
    MingMong wrote:
    I'd say a mixture of XC and AM 70:30 ratio.
    I'd go for the On One 456 of those listed, it takes some beating on value for money and I'll have to give my own bike a shout (Charge Duster), I do a similar split of riding.

oh and aren't the Merlin Malt frames all alu? so "Merlin" shouldn't be in the poll with "RockLobster"

Cheers Ros.

I can't remove the Merlin from the vote. Looks like I'll have to consider it.

Duster added.
  • Penylope wrote:
    I'd have to put Cotic Soul in the pot, one of these is top of my list for my next bike, although they aren't cheap.
    Built with pikes, XT kit, M4 brakes, should be ideal(for me at least, and i'd say my riding is about the same split as yours).

New colours should be announced early october time as well 8)

+1... If I were looking for a steel hardtail, and oddly I seem to regularly do so, without ever buying one, I'd give Cy a ring...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your budget? What parts do you plan to fit ie fork?
  • biw
    biw Posts: 17
    DB Prince Albert?

I love mine
  • If money's not a problem, a Curtis T45 frame would be my choice.
  • just a suggestion how about the genesis alptitude like the one in this months mbuk
    it's got some nice kit for a good price.
    why you lookin at this it isn't that amazing
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    The Rock Lobster comes in an 853 steel frame aswell as the alloy version so can be left in the list, no so sure bout the Merlin frames though.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Cotic Soul!
  • Whyte 19 steel, just out. Yummy. Like the titanium only affordable.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Depends on the budget for a self build.

I'd be tempted to go with the following.......

456 frame
    Reba team 120 Maxle lite fork
    Stans Flow ZTR rims on Hope Pro2 hubs

The rest I'll leave to your personal taste
  • charge blender :D hardcore hardtail :D
    santacruz butcher
    Ragley mmmbop
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    guilliano wrote:
    Depends on the budget for a self build.

I'd be tempted to go with the following.......

456 frame
    Reba team 120 Maxle lite fork
    Stans Flow ZTR rims on Hope Pro2 hubs

The rest I'll leave to your personal taste

I think if I was spending all that on the parts I'd get a better frame!
  • Here we go again...

This just adds to my confusion too. I didn't notice anyone mention the Cove Handjob though. Has it fallen out of favour?

How about a 29er? The S.I.R. 9 in this months WMB looks fairly tasty.

Also, CycloRos, How do you have your Duster set up. I've been looking at them. Recommend?

The road is long...so take a shortcut.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    My Duster is based on the Hi model but is now running a pair of Pikes up front wound down to 115mm and Hope Pro II's on Mavic rims, the tyres are whatever are my favourite at the time (currently Nobby Nics although that changes regularly :lol: ).

It's a right hoot to ride in it's current get up the front end is significantly stiffer over the Reba it replaced which makes for great fun when the going gets steep and rocky. The flip side to that being its a bit more of grunt on the climbs.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • MingMong wrote:

What do you think?

Sounds like the Cotic Soul or 456 would be just about right for you, strong steel frames, yet can be built up fairly light for the more XC orientated riding you like doing, if you can get hold of some a set of the air Pikes would be great on it, though the new adjustable Revs sound about spot on for what you want.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    If money's not a problem, a Curtis T45 frame would be my choice.

Looks-wise, that does look the dog's hangers.