week of rest

sharm1969ca
sharm1969ca Posts: 136
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
hiya guys, was just wondering if this is common sense or acceptable, i have been commuting to work now for about 5 weeks, 15 miles each way 2-3 times a week. this week however i have decided to give my body a break/rest and come to work in the car, i know,i know dont slate me for it. Considering before i started to commute i havnt been on a bike for over 20 years so in fact i just dived straight in and went back into it at the deep end, so do you think i am right in doing this. All comments appreciated. cheers

Comments

• Common sense. Well done, good for giving it a go.
    You do need to give your body a rest, and allow it to come to terms with the new regime.
    You will feel stronger, and fitter afterwards. However, don't do the car, and bacon roll/sausage roll. Use them as a treat when you cycle.

You will be eager to be back on the bike sooner than you know.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • you'll also probably feel a bit achy after a day going back, even after only a week off. i do 4 times a week, same distance. if i feel grotty i get the train back with my bike now and again (done that 4/5 times in 6 months).

rest if you need to. better to do that and really enjoy your biking right?
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rest is an essential part of training/getting fitter. I never listen to my own advice on this because I can't stand public transport and don't have the option of driving in. But I do rest on the weekend most of the time.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I give you three days before you're wishing you were on the bike again. :D
  • cheers for the advice guys, i did feel as if i needed it, but thought age was creeping up on me or i was getting to be a lazy ar5e. And UE i am already wishing i was back but i dont want to rush things gonna treat it like a holiday from the bike and TRY and enjoy it. :(
  • don't do the car, and bacon roll/sausage roll. Use them as a treat when you cycle.
    +1

I have 2 eggs scrambled after my shower, then a bacon roll mid morning on the days I cycle in only. No work = no reward.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Go on, cycle in Friday, you know you want to......

I am on my 14th straight day commuting, used to have to have a day off each week (mayybe 2) as 1. Had to bring in fresh towel/shirt/socks 2. It was too cold/wet/windy 3. I was just plain lazy and wanted 15 minutes extra in my bed.

However, now solved the dilema's by 1. Getting rack and panniers, so can bring in limitless amounts of gear 2. I live in Scotland, so its always too cold/wet/windy - MTFU 3. Determined to keep going for longer, get fitter and cycle tour more.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • If you feel you need a race then by all means take it. But don't wimp out for the winter :P

Get back on maybe switch to four times a week when you go back. So two days riding, rest day, two days riding, weekend repeat.
  • I'm on my third day of rest from commuting (3.2 miles, 7 miles on the way back if I feel like it, on a hybrid) enforced by an aching wrist. :( I can't wait to get back on.
  • I'm into my 5th week of commuting, 14 miles each way Mon - Fri.

Take weekends off to recuperate, then come Monday mornin I have always felt that bit stronger....I even want to cycle further on the way home to get the miles in!

Its never a chore, I always look forward to it. Lazy buggers at work ask if I want a lift home sometimes not understanding that I want to do this.

My message to sharm1969ca is keep at it, its a long game we're all playing and you must already be feeling the benefits.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I had a week off last week on holiday, I'm really paying for it this week my thighs are burning all day and it is agony going down stairs :cry:

I'm taking my bike on holiday next time.

Last time I had time off the bike I went for a bit of a spin on the sunday night, if your doing nothing in this week it might be worth just doing 5 miles or so gently and sleeping on it rather than just ploughing straight back in, I wish I had.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    You've got to be careful here.

Whilst you should listen to your body, there’s a risk you might start using it to make excuses.

A 15 mile commute is more than average, so you are doing very well, just make sure as the winter draws in your 'rest weeks' don't turn into 'rest months'.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    For those of us with shorter commutes (15 miles ish round trip), can we just keep plugging away and will our bodies make it clear if we should take a day or two off? It just occurred to me I'm on my 16th day without 24 hours of no biking, even if only two of those days saw any considerable difference, and I'm feeling as fit as ever right now.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    biondino wrote:
    For those of us with shorter commutes (15 miles ish round trip), can we just keep plugging away and will our bodies make it clear if we should take a day or two off? It just occurred to me I'm on my 16th day without 24 hours of no biking, even if only two of those days saw any considerable difference, and I'm feeling as fit as ever right now.

Yeah 15 miles is easy :P

Seriously, the problem will be when you do have a couple of days off and you start again ooh the pain, one week I rode every day for 8 days and did about 260 miles and felt great, this week I've done 100 and I'm farked.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017