Unexpected dangers of going tubeless...

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited September 2009 in The Crudcatcher
I had a persistant sqeaky leak between the tyre and rim, so I decided to give the wheel a bit of a shake around to spread the sealant. On the plus side, the leak stopped, but on the minus, I punched myself right in the mouth. I haven't been hit so hard in years :evil:
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    aaah, the oooold punching yourself in the mouth sketch, quickly followed by the oooold looking round to make sure no one noticed sketch.
  • Anonymous
    followed by the posting it on an internet forum so that all the people who didn't see you do it can now be enlightened sketch. :wink:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    why does punching yourself always hurt more than being punched by someone else?

i once did it undoing a sump bolt on a metro, nearly sparco'd myself :oops:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Northwind
    followed by the posting it on an internet forum so that all the people who didn't see you do it can now be enlightened sketch. :wink:

I am a walking cautionary tale. Look upon my works ye mighty, and despair.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    and lo it was said :lol:
  • OP - LOL it booming hurts doesn't it! I also have a tendency to accidently punch my bikeI the worst was once using a large wrench on a BB. it was stuck bloody tight and then suddenly went, forcing me to punch the chainstay rather hard.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    punching the chainrings whilst undoing a pedal thread is the worst!
    You only do that once, before figuring out the correct way of doing it!

Chainring bolts are a cause of stress as well, I'm always wary of ripping my skin off. Again :oops:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    See I told you going tubless would end in tears.

Never punched myself but I did once get an engine smack in the mouth was leaning with both hands on a long ring spanner to try and undo a water pump mounting bolt. Bolt moved all of a sudden and I ended up giving the oil filler cap a blowjob.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • that made me properly laugh out loud, ive done similar so many times, last time was a nice inside fist to the nuts, i swear i turned green
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Anonymous
    I always suspected these environmentalist types have no balls.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    I'm convinced i'm going to lop off a digit in one of my rotors at some point whilst adjusting the brakes - bordering on paranoid :evil:
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    tears are rolling down my face at how amusing this comment is lol
    stubs wrote:
    See I told you going tubless would end in tears.

Never punched myself but I did once get an engine smack in the mouth was leaning with both hands on a long ring spanner to try and undo a water pump mounting bolt. Bolt moved all of a sudden and I ended up giving the oil filler cap a blowjob.
  • Northwind
    Since we seem to have entered a phase of one-upmanship... when I broke my hand- by having a 2 foot breaker bar slip off a suspension nut on my motorbike, causing me to punch the bike with my entire bodyweight behind the blow and a nice steel pipe in my fist just to maximise the impact- I left a fist sized dent in the steel petrol tank :lol: I was so annoyed it took me almost a minute to notice my finger wasn't where I left it.

Probably should be trying to learn from some of these lessons eh? Perhaps before I start trying to use my welder.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    ^^^^^ ouch

i used to be a mechanic and i've lost count of howmay gearboxes/engines/suspension units i have punched and standing up to quick underneath a car when its about 1/2 an inch lower than how tall i am

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    I used to be a steel erector, and once when using a 35mm podger (ie: bl**dy big spanner with a pointed end) to align two bolt holes, it slipped out and cracked me in the mouth, Result, split lip and one smashed front tooth, ended up spitting out bits of broken tooth like something out of a cartoon, still wear a plate to this day :cry:
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!
  • Not as bad as the above but I was pulling some tape of a tube at work and when the tape gave the tube followed through and whacked me on my napper- left a big lump too. Had a quick luck to make sure no one noticed though! lol

A young lad I use to work with dropped a pike bar againist his cheek and put a hole through- then pushed his tongue in it to show us!!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3