New Chain

idreamoftailwinds
idreamoftailwinds Posts: 134
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Just a quick one; I have just got a new chain and it feels like their is a wax on it.

Do I clean this off and re-lube?

Just add my normal lube(oil)

any other options?

thanks

Comments

• The factory lube is good stuff so leave it on as long as possible. Only remove/replace it when the chain needs cleaning.
  • I find the factory lube very sticky - if you don't clean and lube regularly it will soon have a black grinding paste stuck to every link.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Squirt some WD40 or similar onto a rag and run the chain through the rag, to clean the grease mostly off the outside of the chain. Don't use so much solvent that it gets into the chain and begins to clean the grease out.
  • Cool thanks guys
  • balthazar wrote:
    Squirt some WD40 or similar onto a rag and run the chain through the rag, to clean the grease mostly off the outside of the chain. Don't use so much solvent that it gets into the chain and begins to clean the grease out.

That's what I do too. Baby wipes work too, but not quite as well.
  • balthazar wrote:

exactly what i do, then i run the chain dry until it starts to get a bit dirty then repeat. Never lube the chain on my roadie.
  • just put a kmc chain on my bike and found it didn't have much lube on at all, so put a bit on yesterday. nice shiny chain though :D
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    i just put kmc chains on both my mtb and roadie. They were very sticky with lube which is now picking up dirt. I know Sheldon says leave the original on as long as possible but the grinding paste can't be doing the chain any good.