Gran Prix Canal de Castilla (Spain "with "sterrato

victorponf
victorponf Posts: 1,187
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Just a project at the moment:

For further information:

http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=
If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    victor? Is this just your pet project?

It sounds great, but I don't believe ANYTHING, not even the Eroica or Flanders will surpass Paris-Roubaix, it's the queen of classics...
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    victor? Is this just your pet project?

It sounds great, but I don't believe ANYTHING, not even the Eroica or Flanders will surpass Paris-Roubaix, it's the queen of classics...

+ 1

I'm flying over for 2 weeks next year just to take P-R and Tour of Flanders in . Can't wait.
  • victorponf
    We don´t want be better than another races, just be diferent and the single race in Spain with no convencional roads.

In 26th setempber we are going to do the route (about 100 people)

Next year we hope can do the "cicloturista" first edition in spring
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • victorponf
    Next day 10 we are going to show all the detaills.
  • victorponf
    More details:

I expect to have the english version soon

http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Very good Victor - that is an excellent project
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • victorponf
  • victorponf
    We are in facebook like Gp Canal de Castilla

Very soon we are going to finish our web (with english version)
  • victorponf
    Some Photos in the sterrato paths of "Canal de Castilla", from Bicizamora (MTB group):

http://www.bicizamora.com/Paginas20[....]lcastilla/canal_castilla_21-031.htm
  • gabriel959
    Hi Victor

Sadly the link above doesn't work - if I am ever around were you are and can take my steed I would like to join you though!!!

Gabriel
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • victorponf
  • victorponf
    The Gran Premio Canal de Castilla is a cycling project to bring additional tourism to the Canal de Castilla, one of the greatest works of engineering carried out in Spain.

The main objectives of the Gran Premio de Canal de Castilla are:
    - To plug a gap in professional cycling in Spain, currently lacking a one-day race on off-road and unpaved terrain.
    - The promotion of culture, heritage and nature along the projected route.

In order to achieve these objectives, the following actions have been identified:
    - Organisation of a new race in the professional cycling calendar.
    - Forging of a cycling route for tourists along the same route.

The professional cycling race would be the first of its kind in Spain in its use of unpaved terrain. The idea may seem bizarre and even slightly risky, yet there is a long tradition in Europe, with popular races such as the París - Roubaix (France), the Tour de Flandes (Belgium) and the Monte Paschi Eroica (Italy).

You can download the 2009 route here:

http://ciclorrutasconencanto.blogspot.com/
  • gabriel959
    Looks excellent and if I was still living in Spain I would probably go but my goodness 227km (140m) is some distance even if there is no important climbing involved. How about a 160km event as well? :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • All the best of luck for this Victor, it's on Saturday isn't it?
  • victorponf
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Looks excellent and if I was still living in Spain I would probably go but my goodness 227km (140m) is some distance even if there is no important climbing involved. How about a 160km event as well? :)

Next year is going to be two version, short (130 Km) and long (227 Km), Everybody is invited, of course.

Not confirmed date yet, we are waiting for Vuelta Castilla y León dates, to organize it the weekend after that race.
  • victorponf
    All the best of luck for this Victor, it's on Saturday isn't it?

It´s on Saturday

Some Photos from the route:

http://forodeciclismo.mforos.com/30984/ ... 6#82809858
  • gabriel959
    Looks amazing Victor! I wish I could go - I would like to know the dates of course as if it falls whilst I am in Spain visiting family and friends I could probably escape for a couple of days!!! My family is in Alicante though so quite a long journey but worth it if blessed with those views and some good organization. What kind of support will the riders have? Entry cost?

If it is over 2 days I think I could probably tackle the 227km course though :) Need to know those dates, ahora!!! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • victorponf
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Looks amazing Victor! I wish I could go - I would like to know the dates of course as if it falls whilst I am in Spain visiting family and friends I could probably escape for a couple of days!!! My family is in Alicante though so quite a long journey but worth it if blessed with those views and some good organization. What kind of support will the riders have? Entry cost?

If it is over 2 days I think I could probably tackle the 227km course though :) Need to know those dates, ahora!!! :)

It´s going to be the following weekend of Vuelta a Castilla y León (no date for 2010 yet)
  • victorponf
    Yesterday we have a lovely day (9 - 24 ºC, sunny)

Begins 8h in the morning, finish 22h (25 Km dark, with light)

Losts of photos (links very soon), fun, friendship...

Next spring sure we have I MARCHA CICLOTURISTA GP CANAL DE CASTILLA
  • victorponf
    In spanish papers::

Deportes
    30/09/2009
    Cicloturismo

En bici, por los caminos de sirga
    http://www.diariopalentino.es/noticia.c ... C60E8243E9
  • victorponf
    Some photos from the "EDITION 0":

http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/cfjforum/p ... /2066.page

Lost of sterrato setions in there
  • gabriel959
    Photos are stunning victor - so is it going to take place around this time next year?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • victorponf
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Photos are stunning victor - so is it going to take place around this time next year?

We are going to ask Federation for april...don´t worry we will have Website very soon
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That. Looks. Stunning.

It looks nice enough to go on a visit let alone ride. The 'dirt' tracks remind me of Eroica.

Eroica03.jpg
    fs030.jpg
    610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    "Dirt Tracks" Pah!

Over here, we'd paint a white line up the middle of that and call it a main road. You might get some "loose chippings" signs if you're really lucky!

Luxury
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • gabriel959
    If it does indeed pick up Victor I will try and get my club involved in this, see if we can get someone down there to ride it!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • victorponf
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Gabriel :lol:

When we have he website ready i warm all of you
  • victorponf
    fa066860acb3eeaf4a4f653323580f24o.jpg[/img]

6605064929f891fe44662e65bb9b46f8o.jpg

9c412ed743ea113c891818aa78c0ec59o.jpg
  • victorponf
  • victorponf
    Spaanse Parijs-Roubaix in maak

8 oktober 2009 - Spanje krijgt per 2011 een nieuwe koers die enigszins gaat lijken op Parijs-Roubaix, namelijk de Gran Premio Canal de Castilla. Dit meldt biciclismo.com. De renners rijden meer dan 200 kilometer door de provincies Palencia, Valladolid en Burgos. Het is de bedoeling dat ongeveer 90 kilometer onverhard is. De Gran Premio Canal de Castilla staat nog niet op het programma in 2010, maar de organisatie hoopt de eerste editie in 2011 te houden. De wedstrijd zou dan eind april verreden moeten worden. Italië heeft met de Monte Paschi Eroica een soortgelijke koers.

http://www.wielerupdate.nl/nieuws/2[....]genhanger-van-parijs-roubaix_13011/

Wielernieuws

Spanje komt met tegenhanger van Parijs-Roubaix
    08 oktober 2009

In Spanje wil men met de introductie van een nieuwe eendagskoers een tegenhanger van Parijs-Roubaix creëren. Volgens Spaanse media keert de Gran Premio Canal de Castilla terug naar de basis van de wielersport. Momenteel heeft Spanje met de Clásica San Sebastián slechts één eendagsklassieker op de wielerkalender.

De meer dan 200 kilometer lange wielerkoers gaat over 90 kilometer onverhard wegdek door de regio's Palencia, Valladolid en Burgos. De organisatie hoopt dat in 2011 de wedstrijd voor de eerste maal gereden kan worden. De geplande datum is het laatste weekend van april, na de Vuelta a Castilla y Leon.