cycle to work scheme

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Do you have actually have to commute to work to benefit from the scheme? My company does the scheme but I work "funny" hours (18:00 to 02:00) so really commuting is not possible unless I want to go down the A13 at 02:00am. Would my employer actually check that I am commuting? I work for a big American investment bank. Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• I asked that question when my employer launched the C2W scheme. I also work stupid shifts (early, late, night and on calls). There was also rumours that they would take our parking permits off us if we got a bike on the scheme, but that was b0ll0cks. And as for checking up on whether we used the bike, I've yet to hear of anyone being asked this question.

I think you'd be safe, as long as you did 'occasionally' ride into work.

Go for it fella :wink:
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    I hope they don't check up :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I got C2W and I work overseas, on Oil rigs!!! :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • They will not check how and when you use the bike, i use my bike for more personal use than work
  • Hi you are lucky people i work for M&S they will not start a ctws so i had to buy my own bike weeps bucket fulls,and no you dont have to cycle to work it is not enforceable .i dont know about car allowance ?
  • Revenue rules are that main use of bike should be commuting - so as long as 51% or more of miles racked up on it are for work and back you're okay. Never known the IR to check though.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    0200 is the best time to go down the A13, at least most of the traffic is off the road.

Don't fret over the milage though, no one checks.
  • jonsi
    jonsi Posts: 44
    My daughter has decided that she wants a road bike for Xmas - if the Revenue doesnt check that the bike is used for commuting am I likely to get caught out ordering a women specific bike seeing as I am a male???!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    weeell... my company does ask. I suppose we're a smaller outfit and the overheads on our payroll dept. are not insignificant (all but though), the kindly ladies of accounts do ask tricky questions when we hand in our forms.

So I've got my c2w mtb wheels although the form said 'safety equipment, lights' (that was the cycle shop's idea) and when accounts lady came round last Thursday and enquired after my bike commute I was able to tell her truthfully what a lovely ride it had been (... on my road bike).
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Jesus H Christ on a bike!

I just got my bike through the Government scheme and lo and behold, the area I work for in the NHS is being privatised.

Have to look into what this means as the new company don't yet recognise the scheme.

:evil:
  • I am not jealous at all not me tongueout.gif
    As being self employed I cant use any of the scheme and would have the shell out for one myself :(

Not jealous at all :wink:
  • hodsgod wrote:
    0200 is the best time to go down the A13, at least most of the traffic is off the road.

Thanks for the replies people. Hodsgod, i hear you but Saturday night and SUnday night I only feel safe in my car. The number of idiots coming back from clubs at that time is frightening. I sometimes do it on my motorbike and even then I am extra careful.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Hi you are lucky people i work for M&S they will not start a ctws so i had to buy my own bike weeps bucket fulls,and no you dont have to cycle to work it is not enforceable .i dont know about car allowance ?

Just saw your boss on TV going on about corporate responsibility to gree issues (plastic bags!) so may be worth sending him a letter pointing out the green benefits (and PR) in offering a C2W scheme.

I'm getting my company to set one up at present. We do a lot of work in transport issues and help companies produce green travel plans so it was a bit hypocritical that the company provides company cars but isn't on a C2W scheme :oops:
  • jonsi wrote:
    My daughter has decided that she wants a road bike for Xmas - if the Revenue doesnt check that the bike is used for commuting am I likely to get caught out ordering a women specific bike seeing as I am a male???!

My 5'3" wife ordered a 62cm road bike, because my company won't run C2W. Occasionally I give her a backie to the station but I don't think anyone checks this.
  • No they don't give a monkey's about commuting. More generally the idea is that you'll be fitter and therefore take less time off work and save the NHS some money.
  • I know someone who got a turbo trainer on the C2W scheme. He claims it's cycling safety equipment as it keeps him fitter, so he's safer on the roads... :wink: Seemed to work for him... :)
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Sicknote wrote:
    I am not jealous at all not me tongueout.gif
    As being self employed I cant use any of the scheme and would have the shell out for one myself :(

Yeah, I'm in that boat too but I wonder if we could offset it in our self assessment as travel expenses. I managed it with a £600 stereo for my old car because it had a bluetooth hands free phone thing on it that I needed to take calls. 8)

Why can't self employed people cycle to work? I do, I drop all my tools at the job and then just cycle in until it's finished.

I'm gonna give it a go anyway come April.
  • I have my own business as well. If your VAT registered just do it & you get a VAT free bike & all the benefits of a regular employee.

I'm pretty sure you can claim 20p a mile back for business mileage (that excludes commuting to your regular workplace)

I've had 2 bikes under the scheme. 1 for me & 1 for my wife......but they were both for me.
    :wink:

Unless the Inland Revenue are listening then they were'nt 1 was for my wife & we both cycle to work.....
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    jeannot18 wrote:
    hodsgod wrote:

Thanks for the replies people. Hodsgod, i hear you but Saturday night and SUnday night I only feel safe in my car. The number of idiots coming back from clubs at that time is frightening. I sometimes do it on my motorbike and even then I am extra careful.

JC

You are right yes, but isn't there a good cycle route off the main road? I road along it from Romford to Tower hill via Barking for the London SKyride a few weeks ago.
  • Evil Laugh wrote:
    Sicknote wrote:

Yeah, I'm in that boat too but I wonder if we could offset it in our self assessment as travel expenses. I managed it with a £600 stereo for my old car because it had a bluetooth hands free phone thing on it that I needed to take calls. 8)

Why can't self employed people cycle to work? I do, I drop all my tools at the job and then just cycle in until it's finished.

I'm gonna give it a go anyway come April.

Let me know how it goes.
  • You can claim mileage this from the Department of Transport

Employers can pay up to 20 pence per mile tax free to employees who use their own cycles for
    business travel. Journeys between home and work are not business travel for this purpose.
    Any employee considering joining a Cycle to Work scheme will need to consider whether they would
    prefer to use their own cycle and be able to claim up to the 20p per mile tax free for any business
    miles they travel, as opposed to having a cycle loaned to them by their employer.
    Employees cannot claim the 20p per mile tax-free mileage allowance for business travel if they use a
    cycle loaned to them by their employer.

From one I can tell this scheme is only for Limited Companies,
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • Pross
    Once I've got our companies scheme sorted out and my first bike paid for I may either get an MTB in case I decide to take a more scenic route to work or have a Campag Record group fitted so that I can arrive in work more quickly :wink:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Sicknote wrote:

I'm self employed. I have a limited company and I'm the only employee, and my accountant sorted it out for me. :D
    And, as I'm the boss of said employee, I turned a blind eye, when the employee went way over the £1000 limit... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    hopper1 wrote:
    Sicknote wrote:

I'm self employed. I have a limited company and I'm the only employee, and my accountant sorted it out for me. :D
    And, as I'm the boss of said employee, I turned a blind eye, when the employee went way over the £1000 limit... :wink:

Dont run a limited company so that is not on the cards for me :(
  • Pross
    Incidently what is people's experience at the end of the lease period? Have you all been offered the chance to buy the bike for a nominal fee? The C2W scheme is a great way of getting the bike cheaply and, effectively, on interest free credit but if at the end the employer doesn't let you buy it it isn't so good. From the HMRC guidance it isn't legal for the company to provide an assurance that they will sell it to you before the lease expires. Therefore any informal agreement could be breached by the employer and you wouldn't be able to kick up a fuss.
  • The ownership has to change at the end of the rental period. I think the tax laws stop the companies effectively giving them away and it has to be bought for 'market value'. For the reason that market value depends on the market situation they can't tell you in advance what the final purchase fee will be.

I'm told it's around 5% of the new cost of the bike. But I'm not sure how that would work with shoes and clothing which is essentially worthless after a year. Who is going to want to buy year old used shorts and shoes?
  • Pross
    Just wondered if any companies retained the bikes themselves although I agree it would be pretty pointless.
  • Bought my Cannondale Carbon Synapse 105 July this year after asking work an awful lot about why we didn't take part in the cycle to work scheme and were we going to. I just kept being told that we just didn't want to participate. This morning I open the inhouse magazine to find we are going to take part in the scheme from next year!

Oh well, at least I can hopefully get a new mtb through it, although as yet they haven't announced who we are going to use. Be just my luck if we end up using a company that only does folding bikes.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Aspman77 wrote:
    The ownership has to change at the end of the rental period. I think the tax laws stop the companies effectively giving them away and it has to be bought for 'market value'. For the reason that market value depends on the market situation they can't tell you in advance what the final purchase fee will be.
    Sorry for the pedantry, the reason that it is not permitted to specify a final price to transfer ownership is that the hire agreement would then become a "hire purchase" agreement, which would not be eligible for the tax concession.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Going back to the original qestion set by the OP.

You are ment to ride the bike at least 50% of the time as already stated. So as long as you ride it now and then you should be fine. Another was of looking at it is, is ride more in the spring & summer months, and less in the autum and winter months?

So no need to 'have to ride' the bike when working stupid shifts. :D

And as for checking up, I know many who have used the scheme. Some never ride to work, and nobody has said a think to them. & these people are working for Public sector company (Law enforcement)!
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/