We've done gigs, now sports events.

pepelepew
pepelepew Posts: 180
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Which sporting event that you attended stands out for you? The 'I was there' moment.

My choice, Wales v England rugby at the old Wembley stadium in 1999. We were absolutely battered by England, yet still ended up winning 32-31. Daylight robbery. :oops:

Best atmosphere I've experienced to date.
Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
Det. Sgt. George Carter: Boll@cks.

Comments

• Challenge Cup final this year. Wire's first final in 20 years and our first trophy in 35 years... I kissed strangers, cried, threw beer and couldn't talk for 3 days afterwards and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Istanbul 25/05/2005.
  • Stands Out for all the wrong reasons

Forest v Liverpool - Hillsborough

Best atmosphere ever.

AC Milan V Napoli

Ac Milan won 4 - 1 with a Vanbasten Hattrick and one from Gullit.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    League2 Play-Off 2007, The Gas beat The Shrews. One of only 2 teams to play at both Cardiff and Wembley in the same season though with a slightly worse sucess rate, Rovers came away with 50% sucess rate, the other team a 100% record.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    United vs Roma in 2007.

13hrs in full riot gear with 7 of my very close colleagues from the tactical aid unit.

Hard work but very very memorable.

The news didn't report the half of it!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Bolton vs Reading, 1995 play-off final, Wembley.

Not only a good result, but an absolutely fantastic game. The most exciting sporting event I have ever seen.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    johnfinch wrote:
    Bolton vs Reading, 1995 play-off final, Wembley.

Not only a good result, but an absolutely fantastic game. The most exciting sporting event I have ever seen.

I listened to that driving home to Uni in Hull from Cornwall with three mates in my beetle.

Good job I was in a traffic jam because I was rather giddy when the penalty was saved...

(Born in Bolton...)

IMO the best footy match ever.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    My wifes from Bolton and couldn't watch the game on the tv so I had to watch and shout the important bits to her - have to say it was fantastic entertainment.
  • finchy
    NapoleonD wrote:

I listened to that driving home to Uni in Hull from Cornwall with three mates in my beetle.

Good job I was in a traffic jam because I was rather giddy when the penalty was saved...

(Born in Bolton...)

IMO the best footy match ever.

The feeling when Branagan saved it was fantastic. Just the way that the match was looking like a lost cause and then it all got turned around. Happy memories... :)

Here's the penalty in all it's wonderful, unbelievable, breathtaking awesomeness. I particularly like seeing the Reading fans celebrating getting the penalty before the save. Fools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svhFG_02 ... re=related
  • ...me sinking a 10foot putt to win the club handicap knockout on the 18th green 2001......

....''is that it?''.he said.....''err yes.....I'll buy you a beer'' I said........

the England vs Argentina game takes some beating for tension and anxiety...when we lost on penalties I said 'thank god thats over..i cant take another game like that..
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Most frustrating: Flying over the World Mtb Champs in Colorado, on the way to Seattle!
    30,000ft from one of the best cycling events ever...DOH!
  • Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
    Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    20-17

nuff said
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    First performance of The Wall, Earls Court

Oh, we done that
  • alfablue wrote:
    20-17

nuff said

Respect! Awful drop goal though. :wink:
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
  • Barnsley 2 - Bradford City 0

The game that saw Barnsley promoted to the top flight for the first time in their history. I was there - the emotion was electric
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • When Wales beat Germany in 91 (I think) 1-0 Rushie get in there!

Istanbul would have been greatest night of my life if I had been there...instead I was watching it from a pub in Risca envious of 2 mates who were over there.

"We won it 5 times, we won it 5 tiiiimmmeeess in Istanbul we won it 5 times"
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Charlton v Sunderland play off final at wembley.

Had season ticket at wembley for euro 96, loved the games against Scotland and Holland.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • finchy
    OMG, I don't believe it - we've got to page 2 without a Scot saying "Argentina vs. England, 1986"

Incredible. :wink:
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Silverstone 1987 at Club Corner. Not a big fan of Mansell at the time but wow, you really had to be there.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • djbarren wrote:
    Sorry Guys, for me being a big Irish Rugby fan, it has to be at Croke park when Ireland beat England 43-13.

Excellent choice djbarren 8)

There have been loads, but Roy Keanes testimonial match was one hell of a game. United vs Celtic.

Keano played the first half in a Celtic shirt and the second half in a United shirt.
    Them Celtic bhoys know how to party.
    What a game, what a day - what a hangover
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • Charlton vs. Sunderland in the Div1 play-off final in 1998 at Wembley.

4-4 aet and 7-6 on penalties. :D

What really stands out was the good grace that the Sunderland fans showed afterwards.
  • Murrayfield 17 March 1990. All to play for - Calcutta Cup, Triple Crown, Championship, Grand Slam. Scotland won 13-7 with a Stanger try right in front of where I was standing. Brilliant!

I got my ticket for £6 (face value) through contacts at RBS. Was offered £50, £75, £100 for it - huge amounts for a poor student. Ever so glad I turned them all down.
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    When the Tour started in London for me.

Camped out from about 9 in the morning in my prime spot outside Buckingham Palace and watched all the riders warm up round the course.

Still makes me giddy when i think about that day. Absolutely loved it.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Charlton vs. Sunderland in the Div1 play-off final in 1998 at Wembley.

4-4 aet and 7-6 on penalties. :D

What really stands out was the good grace that the Sunderland fans showed afterwards.

They were fantastic weren't they, not sure if I would have been so gracious in defeat especially after such a fantastic game.

Pity about Colchester last night though.

Pip pip.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Sheffield United 4 - Nottingham Forest 3

Division One Play Off Semi Final Second Leg, May 2003

We were 2-0 down and came back to score 4 goals without reply, including a mazy run by Paul Peschisolido, and an own goal by none other than Des "Ex Wendy" Walker.

Oh My God
  • Sheffield United 4 - Nottingham Forest 3

Division One Play Off Semi Final Second Leg, May 2003

We were 2-0 down and came back to score 4 goals without reply, including a mazy run by Paul Peschisolido, and an own goal by none other than Des "Ex Wendy" Walker.

Oh My God

I was there too! I pulled on the train on the way home. What a shame it all ended in that 3-0 drubbing in Cardiff.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Celtic v Partizan Belgrade 1989, Partizan were 2-1 up from the 1st Leg so Celtic had to beat them at Celtic Park. The game swung from end to end with Celtic striker Dariuz Dziekanowski ( Jackie as he was called ) scoring 4 Goals on the night and Celtic running out 5-4 winners on the night ( 6-6 on aggregate ) which meant that Celtic went out of the competition on the Away Goals rule.

It was one of those games where Celtic were out, then they were through, then they were out again, through again......... it was an amazing night and an incredible game of football with everything in it.

The atmposphere was absolutely amazing, with about 65,000 singing shouting, crying....incredible.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"