Clips?

Pure.mtb
Pure.mtb Posts: 7
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Im looking at investing in some clip-ins and i was just wondering whether you have to buy the same make of shoe with the same make of pedal. OR . Is it that you just have to have the same make of cleats on the bottom of the shoe as the pedal?? also if it is the second one how do i know the cleats will fit to the bottom of the shoe if the shoe is a different make to the cleat?...or does that just not matter :?:

scone!!!!

Comments

• if you buy mtb shoes then you will have no problems, cleats come with pedals and fit universally.

Shimano pedals for beginners, M540 are a good start, then you can spend more on nicer ones if you really get on with them.
  • if you buy mtb shoes then you will have no problems, cleats come with pedals and fit universally.

Shimano pedals for beginners, M540 are a good start, then you can spend more on nicer ones if you really get on with them.

Right, so the pedals i buy will come with cleats. Which i attach to my shoes??
    scone!!!!
  • Yep, thats right. Pedals come with the cleats and should fit any shoe. I got some http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-shoes/shimano-mt41.html and managed to wangle some shimano m520 free with my new bike. Bargain.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT
  • right thanks guys. much apprecited :D:D
    scone!!!!
  • one more thing. WHAT is the difference between SPD and clipless?? because i see some SPD's which are egg beater designed....

thanks again :wink:
    scone!!!!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Pure.mtb wrote:
    one more thing. WHAT is the difference between SPD and clipless?? because i see some SPD's which are egg beater designed....

thanks again :wink:
    SPD is a brand name, it stands for "Shimano Pedalling Dynamics" - its a bit like Hoover, a brand name that tends to be used generically for all vacuum cleaners.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Crank Brothers: Nice engineering, pretty, bling, prone to breakage, expensive, expensive cleats, poor customer service, more float (up to 15 degrees), perhaps easier to get in and out.

Shimano: Excellent, simple, extremely reliable, cheap (£19.95 for M520's) or expensive if you wish (XTR), 5 degrees float, why look anywhere else????
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Neither - Time atac pedals...they cost a bit more but are pretty much bombproof.