Who's got the 'best' winter bike?

STEFANOS4784
STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Just wandering what kinda bikes people are using this winter. I'll start the ball rolling with my trusty old Cannondale r500 9 speed triple 105 groupset and rs10 wheels, ally fork/seat post 8)

Comments

• Full carbon Scott CR1 pro with Ultegra and whatever else it came with. This is also my summer bike though, so don't know if it counts!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Now with white San Marco Concor Lite saddle (not shown). Mudguards have been adjusted too and are now closer...

CrudRoadracers.jpg

2009 Litespeed Siena w/Easton EC90SL forks and Chris King headset

Powertap on Open Pro wheels (DT Swiss 240 front hub)
    Ultegra group (Dura Ace rear mech and BB)
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
    Thomson X2 stem
    Saddle on this pic - Fizik Aliante carbon
    VO2 bars
    Fizik bar tape
    Vittoria Open Pave tyres

It'll do for me! :o
  • Just a plain old fixed bike running 49x18, mudguards and a rack with a bag. Concor saddle which I have on all my bikes ,shallow drop bars , Ambrosia hubs and rims with any tyres that happen to be hanging up in the shed
  • he he he, 'nearly' snap there NapoleonD :wink:

I 'nearly' got one of those Litespeed badboys yesterday, there's one HEAVILY reduced in my lbs, I just about said "yes, I'll take it" (on cycle to work scheme) but then my wife's voice came into my head, and I thought better of it. I took it out for a quick spin around the block, felt really nice.

I'm now waiting to see the 2010 Bianchi range.

Not unless it's reduced even more in a few weeks (before the Bianchi's start appearing!).
  • I only have the one bike, but two sets of wheels.

Orbea Onix '09 Frame
    Chorus 10sp throughout
    SOme wheels i'm buying off here
    That stupid carbon Arione saddle
    Rithcey WCS carbon bars
    ITM 101 stem
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    A Kinesis Crosslight 4T will be my steed of choice this winter, as it was last winter. The plan is to try a couple of cyclecross events as well.

Shimano 105 front and rear mechs & levers
    Cantilever brakes
    SRAM Force chainset
    NapD's old Mavic Equipe wheels.
    Unbranded bar & stem
    The biggest set of mudguards I could find

For long rides on my billy during drier spells then the Genesis Flyer fixie is also known to frequent the Cheshire lanes and will again this year.
  • Enigma Etape, Centaur Carbon Group (except Chorus shifters), Kysrium Elites, Enigma bars, stem, post, Arione Saddle, Conti GP 4000S. And proper full mudguards.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Raleigh 531 steel frame from the late 80's (was a Raliegh Triathlon in a lovely lemon originally), Campag Veloce groupset. Wheels are Mavic MA3 rims on Veloce hubs. Oh, and full guards too.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Kinesis crosslight 5T, with most of the parts ponced off my old pinarello. Record 10sp groupset, deda bars and stem, and Kysriums, and the fattest tyres that I can find :lol:
  • Ribble 7005 winter frame with 10sp Ultegra, Campag Ventos, Toupe saddle, proper mudguards. Again. I'm not looking forward to it :(
  • Count yourselves lucky guys and gals. Just be glad your fit enough to ride any old bike! I'm can't even ride my best one!
    I'd be envious of anyone riding an old Raleigh Activator right now!!!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Ribble 7005 winter frame with 10sp Ultegra, Campag Ventos, Toupe saddle, proper mudguards. Again. I'm not looking forward to it :(

I like my ribble winter bike! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • STEFANOS4784
    edited September 2009
    NapoleonD wrote:

That garage door could do with a lick of paint :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My (t)rusty old Raleigh M-Trax, upgraded with whatever components I can find cheaply when I need them (why are downtube shifters so expensive to replace?), no mudguards (real men eat road dirt), festooned with lights.
    It's not had much of a rest as my new bike only arrived late summer, it'll be back out after the October holiday (that's the first 2 weeks in October round here), I felt a bit dodgy setting off without lights at 7am yesterday, my 2 criteria for the winter bike are needing lights & gritted roads - not actually had frost here yet but there has been quite close by.
    Now if I can just get the old pedals off it so I can get SPD-SLs on it to match the new bike...
  • No Winter here, so same bike......either my commuter - Giant OCR 2 or my weekend bike Specialized Roubaix Expert......
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

That garage door could do with a lick of paint :wink:

It is next on my list!
  • My winter bike is the first proper road bike I bought - when I was 14. I'm now 32.... Thank god for the trend to smaller frames in the intervening period!

Memories - my first win on that bike (my last Juvenile race), I used it to commute at University, I time trialled on it last year (set up with tri bars and shifters).

Now it is in winter mode, full SKS guards, 36 spoke handbuilts by me (still the original rear rim!), 25c michelin axial tyres that seem to last forever, recently passed down the ultegra 10 speed shifters, matched to an exage rear mech, Shimano 600 Ultegra front mech and a campag mirage compact chainset. Frame fit pump and tool kit in a pro toolkit bottle (so tools stay dry when it rains). I took it out last night for a pre-winter test ride and I enjoyed riding it.
  • Ribble for me too, with mix of Record/Chorus 9 speed and Fulcrum 7's
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Sunn Roader + (10 year old frame) with transplanted 105 gruppo from my Roubaix and cheap carbon fork. Not fitted proper mudguards to it at the moment but will be doing so very soon if this crappy weather continues :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • STEFANOS4784
    Looks like Napolean D has it then 8)

P.s took me about 5 mins to find something i could think of to fault that piccie 8)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Colnago Master
    Centaur
    Scirocco wheels
    Pro/ITM stem/bars
    Flite saddle
    Open Pave tyres

Only concession may be guards.
    The club are not too happy at getting sprayed.
    Keeps the wheel suckers away though :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

P.s took me about 5 mins to find something i could think of to fault that piccie 8)

His tyre labels are incorrectly placed and the rear valve is crooked?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Anonymous
    LangerDan wrote:

His tyre labels are incorrectly placed and the rear valve is crooked?

Heh heh, since sorted...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Van Nicholas Yukon.
    Ultegra 6700 Double.
    Easton EA 70 King bar + Stem.
    Handbuilt Open Pro's with 105 hubs.
    Gator Skin tyres.
    Spesh BG Phenom saddle.
    Full guards.

Photo's after the weekend :wink:

PowerTap on it's way, too...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Here's mine without guards and with the special german wheels on...

LitespeedHeavyweight.jpg
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    NapoleonD wrote:

LitespeedHeavyweight.jpg

You have way too much time on your hands.....
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    NapoleonD wrote:

You've still not painted the garage then? :D

That bike is just WAY to good for the winter. It just sickens me. :wink:

You bringing it out to play on the club run tonight?
  • Anonymous
    Still not back to standard yet :( I'll give it another couple of months...

Besides, I have to paint that garage door!