First bike built!

mik82
mik82 Posts: 38
edited November 2009 in Workshop
After a couple of months worth of part collecting, both here and on ebay I finally put together something over the weekend.

img1451g.jpg

img1453b.jpg

Racelight TK2 frame
Ultegra drivetrain and 105 levers
Mavic CXP22 rims/specialized hubs

Cost about £700 to put together. Most of the drivetrain is new apart from the rear mech which is a 9 speed Ultegra and works perfectly in the 10 speed setup. The frame and wheels are new and the forks are used as are the sti levers.

It was actually quite easy (though I have worked on my own bikes before).

Lessons learnt:

Be very careful tightening Ultegra crank bolts with hardened steel hex wrenches. I've managed to wreck mine. They may be tight but I'm going to replace them.

Make sure you buy a headset with an expander that actually fits your fork

Just because you wrapped the bar tape correctly on one side doesn't mean you'll remember on the other side

Making a bike is easier than you think

Comments

• well I'm glad its not my bike - I'd most probably slide off the sadel ! :lol:
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Looks good mik. A good choice of frame (I have a TK1). Having built quite afew bikes, I always get a buzz out of seeing them finished. I learned the hard way though - make the first frip a short one ( around the block) and take at least a 4 & 5 mm hex key with you!
  • mik82
    Having carried around what seemed like an entire toolbox for a while with my old steel peugeot a few allen keys will be a nice change!
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Nice looking job. Well done.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    It's a great sense of achievement, isn't it? Well done! :D

I really like paint job. I have a TK but with the massive RACELIGHT down the side, everyone thinks it's a Raleigh :cry:

Next task for you on a rainy day* is a wheelbuild...

*I say day - my builds still seem to take me weeks!
  • mik82
    Definitely something for the future! I tried fitting the SKS mudguards today as it was raining and I hadn't had a proper ride on it yet. I ended up giving up as i needed a hacksaw to cut down the stays. To be honest they were far more fiddly than setting up the derailleurs!
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Nuggs wrote:
    It's a great sense of achievement, isn't it? Well done! :D

I really like paint job. I have a TK but with the massive RACELIGHT down the side, everyone thinks it's a Raleigh :cry:

Next task for you on a rainy day* is a wheelbuild...

*I say day - my builds still seem to take me weeks!

So what's wrong with Raleigh? Joop Zoetemelk won the Tour on one and my wife had a lovely little 1928 250cc Raleigh motor cycle - all nickel plate and black enamel. So light you could pick it up and carry it :)

Those Kinesis Racelight frames are excellent. I built up a TK2 last year and it took me to the heights of the Ventoux - though very, very slowly. Not a cheap frame but I'm very pleased with mine.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    So what's wrong with Raleigh?
    All the other children make fun of me. They don't know who Joop Zoetemelk is.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My kids said the same about mine, but I don't care, it's a better bike than either of theirs!
  • I would like all Kinesis Racelight owners and fans to join my Racelight group on Facebook - yes sad I know, but the more the merrier.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=153491651872

Please consider it, or pass the info on to anyone you know with a Racelight
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018