Winter Clothing

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Winter is coming, Booooh! I want some advice on trousers. Last year when i had first started riding(commuting/leisure) i wore some waterproof walking trousers which i found very hot and sweaty and bulky.

Is there a product that is a bit more skin tight like cycling shorts but also waterproof.

Thanks for any advice
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• not really, get wet outside in or inside out...

I'd go for waterproof 3/4 length trousers and a short sleeve top, minimal wetness and you can usually avoid getting all sweaty.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    I'd go for waterproof 3/4 length trousers .

Which ones? Looking to buy some of these and not sure what to go for.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I've just ordered the Altura Attack 3/4 lengths from Merlin.. they got good reviews, but I only ordered them last night, so can't really say much more than that..

If in doubt though, Endura always keeps people happy and dry :)
  • on this topic i am going to wales in dec to ride and i know that the temp can drop down to about -5c.

i have never rode in temps like that before what would people recommend that i wear?

would i be ok in full length tights?

thanks

neil
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've got 3/4 length Endura bib tights for the winter and full length Pearl Izumi ones for when it's really cold and they work very welll... but then I'm a roadie at heart so have no problem with lyrca.

A pair of baggies over the top gnarl's them up a bit though...

The full length tights have a windstopper front to them which helps to keep you even toastier - a very good investment for those extremely chilly days... I still remember one road ride I did where my mate turned up with lycra shorts and top, fingerless gloves etc and I was in tights, shell, full winter gloves... he lasted about 3 miles before he had to turn back as he couldn't feel his fingers...

Which reminds me - don't scrimp on the gloves either! Sealskins winter gloves are excellent... as are their waterproof socks.

Expensive business this winter riding...
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    Stav83 wrote:
    I've just ordered the Altura Attack 3/4 lengths from Merlin.. they got good reviews, but I only ordered them last night, so can't really say much more than that..

If in doubt though, Endura always keeps people happy and dry :)

had some since last nov. been VERY good.

highly recommended (but not hte jacket, all the zips fell apart inside 12 weeks :roll: )
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    The Alturas turned up, they look like they'll be up to the job when it rains.. I like the velcro size adjustments on the back, they don't sound too 'crinkly' either..

Very happy with them at the moment, but will need to test in the rain.. however, can't go wrong with them from Merlin with £25 off at the moment!

as for winter riding, I ride with waterproof/windproof gloves/socks and now 3/4 lengths, a base layer with a tee/jersey over it, then carry a waterproof jacket.. I dont mind too much about the temp, as I'm usually sweating heaps after 5 minutes on the bike!! :)
  • wrx
    wrx Posts: 27
    It seems those Altura Attack shorts have gone up, so they are only £15 off right now.....shame as I was just about to order some.

Having already got a race face jacket this month I cant justify more bike related spend, the wife wouldnt be best pleased, let alone my bank account!
  • Don't forget the hat under the helm.. freeze your noggin and you will fall! As for water proofing I wear a so called breathable top with winter road tights. if you are wearing knee pads and a good set of winter gloves (nt forgetting socks, you should be good to go, its the wind and not the rain you have to watch for!