Loose Brake Levers

mcockram85
mcockram85 Posts: 14
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi guys.

I recently delved into the world of road bikes/tricross by purchasing a Specialized Tricross Sport 2009 model.

Everything has been smooth sailing for the past six weeks but on my ride this morning I noticed that the left gear shifter had started to become loose on the handlebars. I have suffered no heavy knocks/drops etc and the bike has been used on pretty smooth roads.

My question is, firstly, is this a normal occurance? Are the shifters likely to move after a period of use?

Secondly is there anything I can do to tighten the shifter up so that it remains tight and in place, or should I take the bike to my LBS where I purchased it for repair? I have not yet had my first service so would this normally be covered by a standard bike service?

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards.

Mackenzie

Comments

• Stuff sometimes comes loose on a new bike it's one of the reasons you take it back for a service a couple of 100 miles after purchase. Pull the lever hood forward and you will see the screw that tightens the band that holds them on.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Hi Wooliferkins

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will give that a try later on! I had searched online for some advice as I did not know whether it would require me stripping the shifter apart to tighten it or if it was relatively simple.

I will give it a go and failing that working I shall book in a service at my LBS.

Cheers.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Shimano levers on the bike have a small indent on the outside of the hoods which leads to a 5mm allen head bolt.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.