Which Front Derailleur Gear Cable?

_Matt_
_Matt_ Posts: 56
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm keen to do most bike maintenance myself but having tightened the front derailleur gear cable about 3 months ago and ripping off the cable cap the cable is now frayed and looks like it needs to be changed. However, I'm completely confused as to what it is I need.

This looks like a decent option: Transfil Gear Cable Inner for my 2008 equivalent of the Focus Mares Expert.

Can anyone confirm if I'm in the right ball park or have any alternative recommendations? I'm guessing that I just need some cable ties to go with the cable and I'm set? Or have I missed out something rather important?

I've searched on Google and am not much wiser for it.

Thanks for any help.

Matt
Focus Cross Expert 2008

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Just get any gear cable and make sure you put a cable end cap on it. What are the cable ties for?
    More problems but still living....
  • Oops - I meant cable cap, not cable tie.

Thanks for the reply :)
    Focus Cross Expert 2008
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't think you need cable ties. The cable should be fine, but, most importantly you need proper bike cable cutters or you will mangle the end when you cut it and it will fray again in no time. Regular wire cutters just won't do. these are fairly cheap, whilst these are top quality.

Cable ends can be bought from eBay for £3ish for 50 (like these). Worth buying a lot at once rather than 2 at a time from the LBS, will last you years.
  • alfablue wrote:
    I don't think you need cable ties. The cable should be fine, but, most importantly you need proper bike cable cutters or you will mangle the end when you cut it and it will fray again in no time

The Lifeline cutters have got fair reviews on Wiggle so I might go with those for now and get the caps from Ebay. Thanks :)
    Focus Cross Expert 2008
  • I have just replaced some of my cables and used my work side cutters and got a clean cut with no fraying or you can try these or they do some for a few £ more but if they are no good, Screwfix have very good returns.
  • _Matt_ wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    I don't think you need cable ties. The cable should be fine, but, most importantly you need proper bike cable cutters or you will mangle the end when you cut it and it will fray again in no time

The Lifeline cutters have got fair reviews on Wiggle so I might go with those for now and get the caps from Ebay. Thanks :)

Bah, I crumbled. I went for the Park Tools. £27.99 on JE James so was quite pleased.

Thanks for all the advice :D
    Focus Cross Expert 2008
  • amaferanga
    I've never had a problem using a decent set of wire cutters so have never felt the need to pay inflated prices for anything bike-specific. I've got better things to spend £27.99 on....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I've never had a problem using a decent set of wire cutters so have never felt the need to pay inflated prices for anything bike-specific. I've got better things to spend £27.99 on....

Just found some wire cutters for £5 from Screwfix :wink:
  • amaferanga wrote:

What cable cutters do you use, amaferanga?
    Focus Cross Expert 2008
  • amaferanga
    Just some no-name generic ones, like you can buy in B and Q for a few quid :)
  • any decent shears will work well.

so you don't buy anything bike-specific... i find that hard to believe
  • A pair of old pliers and a good bang with the hamer worked for me.......
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    ...and my teeth leave perfect cut ends for me!!!
  • alfablue
    A pair of old pliers and a good bang with the hamer worked for me.......
    Yes, I have done this in the past, eventually you mess up a cable and it starts to unravel, and pretty soon its another £2 for a cable. In the end a decent cutter makes sense, though they may not need to cost so much.
  • Crappy 35p (bargain from Sainsburys) pliers with a hammer hit work for me too. What does one of the posters mean when they say the cable frays in the end? You cut once to length, whack a cap on and you're done, simple. Once cut why would you ever change the length. Think about that, when you change the back cable, cut it down and use it for the front, change often, slick rear gears as the front has more spring tension and is less prone to crud knocking it out of alignment than the back...
  • alfablue
    Crappy 35p (bargain from Sainsburys) pliers with a hammer hit work for me too. What does one of the posters mean when they say the cable frays in the end? You cut once to length, whack a cap on and you're done, simple. Once cut why would you ever change the length. Think about that, when you change the back cable, cut it down and use it for the front, change often, slick rear gears as the front has more spring tension and is less prone to crud knocking it out of alignment than the back...
    I think you may mean me (frays comment). Yes, you cut the cable once - in doing this if the cut is poor it is likely to get the end to start unwinding. Yes, you put an end cap straight on, and all seems well. Often it is, sometimes the end cap comes off and the cable unravels further. I have been cycling and sorting bikes for many years, and for years I was too tight to get a decent cutter, it cost me more in the long run. But heh, by all means save money - you're right, I'm just a fool with my money, obviously :wink:

On the change the rear over to the front idea - I like it! On the other hand, I tend to go for fully sealed cables now, so they last for years without much attention.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    _Matt_ wrote:
    _Matt_ wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Bah, I crumbled. I went for the Park Tools. £27.99 on JE James so was quite pleased.

The Park cutters are awesome - you will never need to buy another set (unless you work in a shop and cut millions of cables a day).

I don't care what anyone else says - decent tools are well worth the money (they make you feel good too).
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    _Matt_ wrote:
    _Matt_ wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

The Park cutters are awesome - you will never need to buy another set (unless you work in a shop and cut millions of cables a day).

I don't care what anyone else says - decent tools are well worth the money (they make you feel good too).