6 Week Check Up

mickedwards61
mickedwards61 Posts: 175
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Newbie to the world of mountain biking here, I was thinking for months about buying a bike, and finally took the plunge at the weekend and bought myself a bike.

When I bought it, the guys at the shop told me I get a free 6 week check up, is this worth having done? Or is it just a ploy so the shop can magically find something that needs doing and charging you for it? Sounds cynical I know, but thought I would see if anyone else had experience of this!

Thanks in advance for help!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it is needed as things bed in and stretch and will need sorting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for that, i'll make sure I get it booked in!
  • Hitby
    Hitby Posts: 218
    It's worth saying that you don't have to have it after exactly 6 weeks :) Ride your bike a bit and get some miles under your belt. When you think it could do with a tune up then take it in. A friend of mine took his in nearly a year after he bought it and they still gave him his free service!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Shop service after a few weeks of riding is worthwhile - certainly if you are not too mech-savvy. Most common tweak required is cables as they tend to stretch when new and need a little adjusting.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Is it just a ploy so the shop can magically find something that needs doing and charging you for it?
    Quite the opposite IME. When you call to collect your bike, it will still be leaning against the counter in exactly the same place you left it.
  • A good shop will give you up to 3 months for your free service, and tension your spokes in your service as well as the obvious cable tightening, crank tightening etc.... We basically do a PDI on the bike when it comes in for a free service.