Crapping hell!

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited September 2009 in The Crudcatcher
The good news is, the creaking noise my bike is making isnt the frame, bb, cranks or pedals.
The bad news however is that my reasonably expensive rear wheel is the problem!
:(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    loose spokes?

or bust flange?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy
    It appears to be creaking...

Whyamihere has had a look but we are not sure whats wrong. Dropping it in to a shop on wednesday to be looked at. Hoping to have it back for D2D on saturday...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what hubs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy
    DT Swiss 190
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    It's an odd one. It's creaking under power, in a way that we were sure was coming from the BB. The spokes are loose, but most of the creaking didn't sound like the spokes (there were a couple of noises that clearly were the spokes though).

Having thought about it for a bit, if I had to guess at something, I'd say the bearings, but I really don't know, and can't really take it to bits to find out due to a lack of tools.
  • Andy
    On Your Bike (Jon) is gonna have a look at it and says he should be able to get it back for saturday...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    might be the bearings. Mine were creaking after going for a swim in Innerleithen. I just popped the suckers out (cartridge bearings), popped the seals off, greased, and reassembled. All is good again.
  • Andy
    Am hoping its only in need of a bit of grease to be honest. I thought ceramic bearings didn't creak though?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I never knew that. Why wouldn't they creak?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    That's bit of a bugger, that's why i chose fulcrum red metal zero wheels, there's only so light you can go until reliability becomes a big issue.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    hope you fix it soon. creaks and noises on bike really annoy me on my bike
  • Andy
    More than that I would like the wheels for D2D on saturday!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'tll be he micro fracture that is appearing on the hub flange.
  • Andy
    Hmm have just had the spokes retensioned and the wheels trued and it 'seems' to be ok now.
    Gonna go give them a blast and test them out properly
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Twang! Crack. Plant.

;-)