What winter tyres?

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi riding on Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs at the moment. As they're fast rolling summer tyres, and wnter is aproaching, I'm in desperate need of some winter tyres. Any advice? Im able to spend abround £50 for a pair. Thanks
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    panaracer trailraker or bontrager mud x. both very good.
  • Are these good for XC Racing as I hope to do a couple of races. And is there such thing as fast rolling for winter tyres and if so which ones? Cheers
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    i am using fire xc pros not had them on in the winter yet but been in the wet mud with them and they were fine
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    If its winter xc racing, then yeah, maybe. If normal xc racing, no.
  • mudx for racing in real gloop, full mud tyres are way to slow for mere damp trails!

Try a pair of nics if it isn't filthy. Also depends how you ride, different tyres for different courses.
  • I mange to get by with a pair of Nics in the winter.The really gloopy stuff near me is thick clay,which not even a full on mud tyre cope with so I chooose to sacrifice some full on mud ability for speed elsewhere.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Problem is that the Nics and Ralphs are £40 for one, so id rather get a winter tyre for £25 each and save the schwalbes for summer. I ride in Clwydian Range and Llandegla. There is some mud but its moslty grass with fire roads if that helps?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • The Conti Verticals served me very well last year in all conditions, I bought them as a result of the reviews and have to agree with the comments on the Conti website.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ical.shtml
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Trailrakers all day long!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    For winter tyres use a pair of Nobby Nics and buy them here http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ProductLi ... ootCatID=1

If it's full blown mud tyres it's Trailrackers
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • As a roadie who MTB's in the winter mostly, the choice of MTB tyres is mind boggling - much simpler for road bike.
    I ride a hardtail XC at the likes of Glentress/Kirroughtree (and other 7 Stanes areas) and currently use Maxxis Ignitor tyres, think 2.1 width. Seem to be getting more punctures than most and have a few cuts on them (tread and sidewalls). Looking for a good tyre at not silly money. Something that'll hopefully do for things like Fort William XC trail (10 Under Ben etc) and the occasional cycle path to work.

I see Nobbly Nicks mentioned a few times - a good choice?

Does folding/non matter?

Cheers
    P.S. Got the Trailrakers a few years ago for mud at Strathpuffer but doesn't suit for more normal riding.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Nugget75 wrote:
    As a roadie who MTB's in the winter mostly, the choice of MTB tyres is mind boggling - much simpler for road bike.
    I ride a hardtail XC at the likes of Glentress/Kirroughtree (and other 7 Stanes areas) and currently use Maxxis Ignitor tyres, think 2.1 width. Seem to be getting more punctures than most and have a few cuts on them (tread and sidewalls). Looking for a good tyre at not silly money. Something that'll hopefully do for things like Fort William XC trail (10 Under Ben etc) and the occasional cycle path to work.

I see Nobbly Nicks mentioned a few times - a good choice?

Does folding/non matter?

Cheers
    P.S. Got the Trailrakers a few years ago for mud at Strathpuffer but doesn't suit for more normal riding.

Folding are lighter so you cut down on rotational weight, plus it's easy to carry a spare with you if the need arises.

Some manufacturers make their folding and non to different specs.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"