Here kitty kitty

stev68
stev68 Posts: 109
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Went out this afternoon about five ish,over to stokenchurch for some nice fast flowy downhill runs,anyway got out into the deep dark countryside near fingest,when me and my friend came around a bend ahead of our other two mates,

When all of a sudden this big black cat, the size of a labrador bounced out of one hedgerow across the lane in one bound,into the oppsite hedge.Was gone before the other two came around the bend was really impressive too see one out for real.

The amount of bunnies,pheasants,sheep etc,would easily sustain an animal of this size,plus all the woods in the area would keep it well out of the sight of most folk.
The beast of bucks is about people! :evil:
Told ya itll hurt!

Comments

• should of taken a picture of the beast :twisted:
    My blog: http://kevincampbellsblog.blogspot.com
    Follow my biking journeys and my path in photography and you will also be able to read about much more too including reviews, and all sorts of random rubbish that may amuse or interest you
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Muntjac Deer.........
    Craig Rogers
  • Dowse40
    Dowse40 Posts: 102
    A muntjac would look more like a hare.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Allegedly there are panthers on Cannock Chase but in over 10 years of riding there, I've never seen anything that even remotely looks like one and no evidence - e.g. giant cat turds or half-eaten animal carcasses - to suggest that they are there.

Hang on tho - what colour eyes do they have in the dark? :wink:
  • x-isle
    A hare!?!? Bloody big hare!

A Muntjac is about the size of a large dog, it's not really black, but in the wilderness can very easily be mistaken for a cat or dog due to mind tricks....

muntjac.jpg

There is also a Black Muntjac, but not sure on if they exist in the UK.
    Craig Rogers
  • IT'S THE ABOMINABLE CAT YETI!! :shock: :wink:

do you have any nuclear plants nearby? could be like a mutant version of someones long lost cat or something. :D
    Could be a dog that you mistook :? other than that, I wouldn't have a clue.
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)
  • should of taken a picture of the beast :twisted:

Read as 'pics or it never happened' lol

I read in the paper today something about a big cat suspected after an owner found her pet cat mauled by something considerably larger, although i didnt take note of where it was though :oops:
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • Wheelieguy wrote:
    I read in the paper today something about a big cat suspected after an owner found her pet cat mauled by something considerably larger, although i didnt take note of where it was though :oops:

It's amazing how many mystery big cats there are in this country. :roll:
  • Well, "apparently" there are werewolves on cannock chase! :shock:
  • My mate was walking in Snowdonia a few years back & a puma jumped out across the trail from behind a rock, rught in front of him. It ran away in front of him, but he said it's the most scared he's ever been!
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    Evening peoples,it was definatley a cat.went over to black park with the kids sat afternoon and saw three muntjacs in half an hour!one which ran out in front of my eight year old daughter,who was well impressed :D .

Went into work this morning bleating about to the boys,got four responses one had seen one on a golf course near wallingford,one got cornered nearly coming back from fishing on the river thame!it apparently turned an ran,then hid in the long grass,poohed pants all round methinks.

One came out with the story, of his old mans brother being an gamekeeper in the sixties and giving one both barrels,killed it and kept it qiuet.dangerous animals act 1969,all the rich toffs let them all out apparently.so why isnt there no lions and tigers and bears!oh my.

Still the thought will make me faster now :shock:
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Probably a woozle.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are there any pics of any of these cats?
  • x-isle
    Nope, nobody has ever photo'd them.

I'm not saying they don't exist, but just not a believer right now.

As for Cannock Chase, I live pretty much on Cannock Chase and I did see a cat a couple of weeks back, it was also black, but it was just a regular cat. Bit strange as it was up near the Cadet centre not sure if it was a ferrule one or not.
    Craig Rogers
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    x-isle wrote:
    As for Cannock Chase, I live pretty much on Cannock Chase and I did see a cat a couple of weeks back, it was also black, but it was just a regular cat.
    That was going so well until the last bit =]
  • Northwind wrote:
    Probably a woozle.

Don't be so daft, it's clearly The Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!

(or possibly the vicious Rabbit of Caerbannog)
  • Dowse40
    Dowse40 Posts: 102
    x-isle wrote:
    A hare!?!? Bloody big hare!

A Muntjac is about the size of a large dog, it's not really black, but in the wilderness can very easily be mistaken for a cat or dog due to mind tricks....

muntjac.jpg

There is also a Black Muntjac, but not sure on if they exist in the UK.

Looks a lot like a cat! :wink:
  • There's so many people who claim to have seen them that I can't fully dismiss the possibility and it would be no surprise that people can't photograph them because meetings are only ever going to be fleeting (and if I met a puma in the woods I can promise you my camera would be the last thing I'd be worrying about!).

But
    stev68 wrote:
    dangerous animals act 1969

That's 40 years ago! If many cats had gone wild back then you'd expect to have had plenty of dead ones being discovered by now and unless there were breeding pairs around, most would probably be dead.
  • The Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!
    its gonna kill us all
    why you lookin at this it isn't that amazing
  • Seen two myself along with possible evidence of their kills.

They are about and fascinating to see.
  • x-isle
    I was on Cannock Chase last night, saw about 50 deer, 20 foxes, 43 Frogs, 2 Black Bears, 1 Black Mamba, 6 White Tigers, 5 Field Mice, 16 Penguins and a Giraffe!

Great night!
    Craig Rogers
  • x-isle wrote:
    I was on Cannock Chase last night, saw about 50 deer, 20 foxes, 43 Frogs, 2 Black Bears, 1 Black Mamba, 6 White Tigers, 5 Field Mice, 16 Penguins and a Giraffe!

Great night!

Liar! you never saw 5 field mice on Cannock Chase. Come on, admit it!
  • x-isle
    Sorry, you're right and it was only 38 Frogs and 18 Foxes.... I must stop exagerating.
    Craig Rogers
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I saw these a while back:

frogfinger.jpg

The perspective is weird because of the foreshortening effect of the camera, but I reckon this frog was at least 6feet long and weighed almost a ton.
    Uncompromising extremist