floor pumps

speedo
speedo Posts: 115
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Looking to purchase a floor pump for my new bike - tyre pressures 100psi +
Can anyone recommend what to buy ??

Comments

• sks renkompressor, otherwise whatever is cheap and a digital pressure gauge.
  • Depends what budget - Joe Blow Sport or Blackburn Air Tower 2 for around £25 are both good pumps (had a Jow Blow for 7 years, thought I'd try a blackburn out this time around and just as good - if not better)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I have one from Tesco's which cost me about £8 in the last sale and can get about 120psi just, I think they are around £10 now.
  • I've got 2. One at work and one at home. The one at home is a Truflo and works really well, use it to get pressure up to 120psi. The one at work is a LIDL one for a fiver. It serves a purpose, I use it when I get punctures on the way to work and need to top the tyres up after using my little portable pump by the side of the road. The LIDL one has a much wider barrel which makes it tough to put more than about 90psi in it. It's almost as if it has been designed to stop twits with MTB BSOs exploding their tyres. It is possible to put about 100-110psi in the tyre with it, but it takes a lot of effort.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Have an Aldi £5 track pump. Gets tyres up to 120psi without too much trouble. Last 20psi takes a bit of effort but hey it was £5!
  • Aspman77 wrote:
    Have an Aldi £5 track pump. Gets tyres up to 120psi without too much trouble. Last 20psi takes a bit of effort but hey it was £5!

I agree, I find the LIDL pump is fine as a work spare but it's hard work compared with using the Truflo which gets up to 120psi in a couple of strokes and no effort. The LIDL pump OTH has me breaking out in a sweat to get to the same pressure! In fact it's quite a good warm up before the ride!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • +1 for the Lidl pump, for the number of times I need to use it, it does the job just fine.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • My LIDL pump was fine at first but now I have real problems getting it to actually get air into the tyre, most of the time it feels like I'm just pressurising the pump itself. Not sure why this is but I'm starting to think that investing in a Joe Blow Sport or something similar will be better for the sake of £25.
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • I did have a lidl's one before and one of the handles broke but have been happy with the Tesco's one now.
    If you can get a Lidl's one as it was a while since they had them in.
  • Bought a Bontrager Charger Pump Black from Evans for £19.99, only had to use it once and was great.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Thanks to all for your input - will probably go with jeannot - Bontrager Charger Pump in my favourite colour BLACK !!