avid juicy 3 vs avid juicy 5 (where's the difference?)

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited September 2009 in MTB general
ok having just got a new trek fuel ex 6.5 with juicy 3's I noticed they weren't(obvioulsly being lower end brakes) as good as the juicy 5's. Where does the difference in performance lie? Is it the calipers etc or the levers or is just as a whole?

I'm thinkning if it's the calipers etc I can just upgrade them and keep the levers?
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the levers are slightly different. they have a lever breakaway function. other than that they are the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    ok having just got a new trek fuel ex 6.5 with juicy 3's I noticed they weren't(obvioulsly being lower end brakes) as good as the juicy 5's.

There brakes will just have had better pads/been set up better than yours. The difference between the two brakes is negligable.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    having owned both, in my opinion, there is no real difference. the 5 has a split clamp but i cant remember there being any difference in performance
  • and if you keep your eyes peeled 3s can be had for 89 quid including p&p from ebay woolly hat shop.
  • ESHER SHORE
    ESHER SHORE Posts: 818
    edited September 2009
    the biggest difference (aside from lever clamp / lever return safety as mentioned) is the stock brake pads

Juicy 3 have DOT 4 as standard, more recent Juicy 5 and 7 have DOT 5.1 but there is practically no performance difference unless doing repeated high speed descents, and DOT 5.1 absorbs water more quickly so DOT 4 is somewhat better for the maintainance shy!

Juicy 3's come with organic pads - which often make the brake feel "soft" (which many riders assume means the Juicy 3 is somehow a "weak" brake compared to the 5 and 7

Juicy 5 and 7 come with metal sintered pads - which give a much more "grabby", positive braking force

with Juicy 3's, burn out the brake pads and upgrade to metal sintered and the brakes will feel 100% better

also pay attention to the reach adjuster as all the brakes (both OE on complete bikes) and aftermarket boxed brakes come with the reach adjuster wound very far in, which means the leverage is poor and makes the brake feels weak

with the Juicy lever geometry being different to other manufacturers brakes - the Juicy pivot point and lever angle is very different which improves the ergonomics, and also means you can run the brake lever far inboard (often inside the shifter pod)

this means you can setup the Juicy with the reach adjuster quite wound out, which makes the brake feel much more powerful as there is more leverage on the lever master cylinder, whilst still being able to maintain a great 1/ 2 finger braking setup
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Anonymous
    aah, to be fair i did run my 3s and 5s (and ultimates and 7s for that matter) with sintered pads. a set will be going on the old stumpy soon.
  • The pads will have quite a big difference.

But the internals of the lever are different also. I had to strip and rebulid the lever of my 3's and looking at the servicing manual, the assembly for the 5's contained an extra piston. This would probably seal the lever better, preventing mud from getting in and wrecking the system (which happened to mine!)
  • 3's and 5's should be about the same..... terrible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    3's and 5's should be about the same..... terrible.

better than the similar level shimano ones though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hmm... we put lx hyrdo brakes on my younger bro's bike and they're brilliant compared to what my 3's were like!
  • Anonymous
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Hmm... we put lx hyrdo brakes on my younger bro's bike and they're brilliant compared to what my 3's were like!
    In what terms?
    I have the old saint 2-pots on one bike, and juicy 3s on another, both 203mm discs, and the lever feel is very similar, although the Saint can cause your eyeballs to come out of their sockets if you use their full stopping potential.
  • Anonymous
    tis another of those horses for courses things i think, all of my avids with sintered pads and big rotors have felt ace, loads of folk dont like em.

Everyone wets their knickers over formula oros (whether theyve tried em or not!) and i thought mine were distinctly average and were more problematic than anything else ive used.
  • i don't like the juicy's used a couple of sets of varying quality. The elixirs on the other hand, are AMAZING... Bit like my previous set of mono minis, the current set aren't as nice, they could probably do with a bleed and some decent pads :roll:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    3's and 5's should be about the same..... terrible.
    My 3's are brilliant.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.