Which Simano SPD pedals?

gllewellyn
gllewellyn Posts: 113
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone - this is my first post (been lurking for a while), so please be gentle!

I've got a Boardman Team Carbon on order (through the Cycle to work scheme), so I'm now trying to decide what pedals to get for it. I've been looking at the various SPD pedals offered by Shimano but can't really see what the extra money gets you when buying the more expensive versions...

What would everyone recommend?

At the moment, I'm looking at the entry level SPD-SL PDR 540 pedals - will I end up wishing I'd paid the extra for the next ones up?

Any thoughts are highly appreciated - this is my first road bike for about 20 years, so I've got a bit of catching up to do!!!

Cheers,
Gareth

Comments

• I have 105 and ultegra pedals.The 105 are really good great value for money.For a beginner there great.You must perfect clipping in and out once you get the hang of it you might even tighten the tension for more power.The ultegra pedals are better vice like grip at higher settings not cheap though.The 105 pedals are almost as good as the ultegra and are cheaper much cheaper :lol:
  • I don't think spending extra on pedals gets you anything TBH. M520 (£20) are Shimano's entry level pedal and are fine. (This is SPD, not SPD-SL BTW).
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The 540s are OK. The only problem I have with mine is that the plastic pad the cleat sits on wears. They are replaceable. Otherwise they work just as well as the dearer ones.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... nism-13402

There is a review here.

I have the 520 and never had a problem.
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    Another M520 user. Got them on the commuter bike and the 'good bike' and they've been excellent. Serviceable bearings, cheap, easy to use, surely every box is ticked. Less than £20 delivered.
  • i think the 540's have slightly better bearings, but i'd get them just for the absence of spanner flats, they just chew up cranks.
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    520 v 540 ...... Fight !

:twisted:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I race and use the 105's they are pretty good.
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    520's here.Never had any problems with them :)
    Dave
  • John.T
    Thr OP was asking about SPD PDR540 road pedals. Not double sided MTB ones. That discussion is going on ad-finitum on another thread.
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Thr OP was asking about SPD PDR540 road pedals. Not double sided MTB ones. That discussion is going on ad-finitum on another thread.

Doesn't he also ask what other people recommend? In that case I refer the right honourable arse to the reply I gave a few moments ago, 520's have been fine for me! I don't need you to point out what the OP was asking ok? Now run along while the adults are talking.
    Dave
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    i think the 540's have slightly better bearings, but i'd get them just for the absence of spanner flats, they just chew up cranks.
    That's interesting. Reading this I thought you meant that the flats presented an irregular face to the crank surface, consequently damaging the crank even more than pedals normally do, through fretting and precession at this already dodgy interface.

But I just looked up some pictures of these pedals and they all have a round shoulder where they meet the crank, whether or not they have spanner flats. Did you mean something else, or am I just confused as usual?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    I did my first ride on 540's on Saturday having always used Time in the past and I loved them. Easy to get into (and more importantly out of!). Not sure what difference having the 105's or upwards will make other than saving a few grammes. Have to admit that having always had Time cleats with look adapters walking was a lot easier which was just as well having had to get off on a hill :oops:
  • Thanks for all the replys. I think I'm going to go for some 540s to begin with and see how I get on with them.

I kind of suspected that the more expensive types wouldn't really benefit me much at this stage, as I'm just getting into road biking - I don't have the skill or fitness yet to know the difference!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Morning !
    Sorry this is a bit late, but maybe you'll see it before you buy.

In my view, it's best to buy the best that you can afford. I've been using MTB SPDs since the originals back in the early 90s (I know you asked about road SPDs, but bear with me :) ) I've used everyting from the most basic SPDs, generally the ones which come on the bike, up to my current XTR SPDs. As you pay more money, you get better materials and to an extent butter finish. You certainly get better bearings and sealing. My original XT SPDs from back in the day are still going strong, although the bearings required a lot of TLC, and my M545 (again the original version before it was called the M545) are going strong. My current XTR SPDs get a lot of abuse and minimal maintenance and are as smooth as the day I got them. I've been through a few pairs of M520s, on a new bike, I use them until they're dead, and whilst they're good pedals, they'll require a lot more TLC to keep them running as smoothly and for as long as the XTRs.

Now.... on to road SPDs......

I've been using a set of Ultegra SPDs for about 6months, they're great. They run very smoothly and the clip in is very positive. I applied the same reasoning as above and didn't bother with the pedals further down the range (plus I got a FANTASTIC price !)
    I suppose that road pedals don't get quite the same abuse as MTB pedals, do they'll last longer anyway, but the more expensive versions will feel more precise and wear better (the foot plate on teh pedal). If you can, I'd go for the 105.

Cheers........ M
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • John.T
    skinson wrote:

Doesn't he also ask what other people recommend? In that case I refer the right honourable ars* to the reply I gave a few moments ago, 520's have been fine for me! I don't need you to point out what the OP was asking ok? Now run along while the adults are talking.
    Dave
    Being an (educated) adult I am capable of interpreting what the OP meant rather than just reading the words. I quite agree that SPD-M520s are good pedals. I have several sets myself but they were not what he asked about. He was asking about SLs and whether it is worth spending more on the better ones.
    As I said the disscusion about relative merits of MTB and road pedals has been covered many times on here.
    Now run along while the adults are talking.
    We do not need this sort of comment here. I am probably old enough to be your father anyway.