crud catcher meta??

lock1981
lock1981 Posts: 546
edited September 2009 in MTB general
hi,

i own a meta 5 and would like to fit a crud catcher to the down tube, but the cables run along the bottom and t doesnt seem to fit!!

how can i overcome this?

doddy seems to have one on his old meta but i cant get it to fit my 09 vip

any suggestions??

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    when you say it doesn't fit do you mean the rubber O rings are not long enough?

you could try some long cable tie's maybe :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They may take my MTB licence off me for saying this, but I've never felt that crud catchers actually do anything.
  • you want to find some thick rubber o-rings to space it away from the cables.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Cut pieces of foam pipe lagging to space it away from the frame.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    They may take my MTB licence off me for saying this, but I've never felt that crud catchers actually do anything.
    They catch crud. What more could you expect? 8)
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690

We Find Your Lack Of Faith Disturbing :twisted:
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Anonymous
    O noes. I feel like I should explain myself :?
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601

yeehaa no worries about them taking my license, i ride without one.

and yes crud catchers are great, when combined with a neogaurd or one of them new fangled fast fenders, but beyond pointless without. i had one on my old hardtail, and haven't bothered my arse with one for my meta after all the downtube catches all the crud from the front wheel. going to get a neogaurd on the other hand to keep the water, from the inevitable winter puddles, from my face.
    Fancy a brew?
  • Anonymous
    ^^
    That's what I found. Most of the crap that gets on my face, comes from the front wheel throwing it forwards into the air in front of the bike, which I then ride into.
    Comething like a neoguard, or those mudguards that go into the fork steerer tube work well, but CrudCatchers really didn't solve anything, in my opinion.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    ^^
    That's what I found. Most of the crap that gets on my face, comes from the front wheel throwing it forwards into the air in front of the bike, which I then ride into.
    Comething like a neoguard, or those mudguards that go into the fork steerer tube work well, but CrudCatchers really didn't solve anything, in my opinion.

agreed

yeah ok a crudcatcher will help protect the cables running down the downtube. but so do gores sealed units, and they look cleaner.
    Fancy a brew?
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    The Cycraguard front guard (similar to CrudCatcher) comes supplied with frame spacers to lift it away from downtube mounted cables if that's any good to you?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22990

Or you could just purchase the spacer wedges separately if you already have a Crudcatcher

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33361

• Cycraguard is the one i have for my full sus Scott, and my cables run down downtube it works a treat. They do a rear one too which is very good.
  • lesz42
    i use a large thingie for the front downtube, stops pretty much anything splashing up onto my face, rear one, just gets in the way

tbh, i cant do with out one on the front, stops mud on my glasses!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    ^^

the only reason i use a crud catcher on my hardtail is to keep my bottle top clean, i don't use one on the spark though, that just wouldn't look right :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    lesz42 wrote:
    i use a large thingie for the front downtube, stops pretty much anything splashing up onto my face, rear one, just gets in the way

tbh, i cant do with out one on the front, stops mud on my glasses!
    A large what?
  • lesz42
    thingie, crud catcher type thingie, you know a thingie
  • lesz42
    a large one
  • Anonymous
    huh?
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    yes they do fit :)
    as i have them on mine
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Cheers for the info lads.

Really would like it to stop my down tube getting chipped to bits lol

Anyone know if they do those fender thingys in grey?