Just been watching Keth Floyd on BBC 2

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited September 2009 in The bottom bracket
A joy to watch. Even though it was filmed some years ago, his approach to food, booze and life is timeless. A true legend!

A great friend to The Stranglers and always had their music on his show!

Good night Keith!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He was the only telly chef I liked.

I could watch him all day.

:(
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    He was the only telly chef I liked.

I could watch him all day.

:(

what you don't like James Martin?
    --

agreed he was a great telly chef, just wish I liked seafood so many of his recipes using it were amazing. I wonder how many bottles of wine he had a day during filming?
  • Anonymous
    I've never met him.
  • Great entertainment but probably a pig to live with
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Anonymous
    cycologist wrote:
    Great entertainment but probably a pig to live with

Are you referring to me?
  • No, but if the cap fits.......
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Keith Flood. RIP. A great man in his day. Why broadcast a programme that shows a man in decline? Why did the presenter feel the need to so frequently descend into profanity?

I admit that I saw perhaps no more than the first 2/3 of the programme and maybe I have a distorted view.

C4? C- is more appropriate.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    edited September 2009
    Watching the film Keith on Keith whick was screened on Sunday evening most certainly showed another side to this man. I would agree, a most difficult man to live with and I can see why he has experienced 4 divorce cases. A troubled genius......I couldn't say. You could see the years of booze and fags had taken its toll. In some respects, was there a real need to shoot the table/family scene at the end of the film, I don't know. However, what I do know, he brought many years of entertainment into family homes up and down the UK and I loved the way a gave the viewers a real off the wall approach to food and whatever region he was in.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    was there a real need to shoot the table/family seen at the end of the film, I don't know.
    Yes, there was, if only to combat the old "jolly alcoholic" myth that Floyd typified
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Keith Floyd was great. I've eaten from a James Martin menu and to be honest I wasn't that impressed....and that was before I knew he was cyclist hating idiot. I quite like that chubby fella with the beard (not Santa the TV chef) and Gordon can be entertaining. Not keen on any others though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    gbs wrote:
    Keith Flood. RIP. A great man in his day. Why broadcast a programme that shows a man in decline? Why did the presenter feel the need to so frequently descend into profanity?

I admit that I saw perhaps no more than the first 2/3 of the programme and maybe I have a distorted view.

C4? C- is more appropriate.
    Is this the same documentary ‘Keith Meets Keith’ that was shown on 14 Sept on Channel 4? If so, you haven’t got a distorted view.

I watched the beginning of that but once the bits of footage from his earlier programmes had been shown and Floyd’s hideaway been discovered, it deteriorated into poor attempts at humour, self-lauding , and too much unnecessary bad language from both men, I gave it up by half-way through.

When I heard next morning that Floyd died when sitting down to watch the documentary, I could only say, well at least he saved himself from an hour’s irritating boredom.
  • bompington wrote:
    was there a real need to shoot the table/family seen at the end of the film, I don't know.
    Yes, there was, if only to combat the old "jolly alcoholic" myth that Floyd typified

Yes, good point!
  • I think the Stranglers thing came out of Hugh Cornwell playing in one of Floyd's restaurants in Bristol when he was a student there