Do you prefer winter or summer riding?

n.battison
n.battison Posts: 57
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Just wondering as too what people prefer, cold muddy messy riding or warm dusty summer riding?
My Bikes And Me
A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    During summer I prefer winter riding, during winter I prefer summer riding. Its autumn now, so I don't know.
  • Prefer winter riding. The trails are usually empty and you can't beat an early Sunday morning ride when there is fresh frost on the ground. It certainly sorts the men from the boys.
    Scott Speedster S40
    Scott Spark 29 Elite
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    summer time for me, be it an early morning or a nice balmy evening 8)

winters ok it's just when i get back freezing cold i don't want to clean my bike, but i always do :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • winter... I don't boil.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Dry-ish cool days. Season is irrelevant.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    frost and not succuming to heat exhaustion winter is a winner plus we all love getting stuck into a good muddy ride

summer is nice for the dry trails but i sweat like a paedophile at a playground :lol: and there ar too many bugs that like the taste of my blood

WINTER ROCKS!

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • winter
    it rains too much during the summer :wink:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • Winter for me. I used to think i prefered summer but as its not like the summers of the old days, it's usually just as likely to be dry in the winter. Also i dont have to wash my jersey after every ride in the winter as i dont get as hot.
    Last winter i had some awesome early morning rides in the cotswolds. Nobody around and a blanket of frost covering everything. Rock hard ground so my bike was as clean when i got back home as when i left.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Winter here too. I'm very much a cold weather person, plus the trails tend to be a bit emptier.

Of course, it's getting harder and harder to differentiate between the seasons now. I'd say any day in the saddle is a good one, so long as the demon headwind is not too bad. Nothing worse than battling up a hill in horizontal rain, only to have to pedal all the way back down the other side because the wind is so strong it's slowing you to a stop on the downhills :evil:
  • I like riding regardless of the weather/season. just gotta make sure you wear the right gear esp in winter....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Winter riding for me,don't really like mega hot weather.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    As long as its not blowing a gale I dont care I am in the fresh air enjoying the coutryside

Theres no such thing as the wrong weather for riding but at the moment the weather is perfect cool enough to ride without getting sweaty not so many midges and the trails are mostly dry
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • voted winter but the heavy mud can be hard work, I like the cold bright frosty mornings best
  • i think cold bright frosty mornings are the holy grail of riding.

i dont think you can get a better time to ride.

neil
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • The last few weeks!

Dry, fast trails, cool and clear. 8)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Both really. I like mid-afternoon sunsets and frozen hard ground, and snow, and being able to ride as hard as I want without having my brain melt. But I'm also quite partial to not falling into mud deeper than my head, and not being soaked all the time
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Winter for me, Abergorlech, New Years Day Morning. Frost,ice and a sprinkle of snow :D
    brilliant
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    RealMan wrote:
    During summer I prefer winter riding, during winter I prefer summer riding. Its autumn now, so I don't know.

sums me up sort of!!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i tend to prefer summer riding but im determined to get out riding this winter, ive just built a hardtail for this very reason.
  • Summer for me.. especially just after a light rainfall.
    Autumn is good, but I mainly do canal towpaths and roadwork in winter
  • either, no such thing as bad weather, just poor preparation.

Prefer not slogging through mud because i'm lazy, be that 'summer' or 'winter'
  • Neither, I prefer autumn. Trails are less busy and early to mid teens degrees C is perfect.
    no such thing as bad weather...
    I used to think that until faced with a 10 mile commute in blizzard like conditions last winter! There's no amount of prep for that, just grit your teeth and bear it :evil:
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Winter, cold frosty mornings, nobody about, bliss 8)
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • slightly prefer winter because I hate being too hot, but IMO:

Winter Pros - Less walkers, more mud! wet weather makes some trails more technically challenging, I don't get too hot or run out of water!

Summer Pros - Less damaging to components, faster dry trails, basking in the sun when you having a rest stop. Longer days.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Winter - cold crisp day's - better than the rainy season which is now our summer!

Although, Spring and Autumn are great too.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    sellisnba wrote:
    Winter night rides, :D

Darkness is also available in summer, mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    as the scandinavians say 'there is no bad weather, just incorrect clothing'

I like riding my bike no matter what time of the year
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    autumn, winter and spring are the best, too hot in the summer ,plus it's not really a summer we have here it's just a month of intense humidity, only the certified insane enjoy it.

Having said that now I have my p7's am looking forward to summer night rides :-)