Is my wheel safe to ride on? (Urgent)

didim
didim Posts: 82
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi
I am going to Bedgebury next week and wondering if my back wheel is up to it. 3 or 4 of the spokes are quite loose, I can only tighten them up so much by hand.

Took it to the LBS and they trued it as much as they could but they said there was a tiny dip still in it?

Thanks

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Would've made more sense to ask your LBS while you were there. Are the spokes still loose? Is the wheel buckled?
  • didim
    Sorry, took it to the LBS 2 weeks back and they trued it but said there was still a dip in it.

Was fine for 5 days or so, after that while riding I saw the wheel was slightly buckeled and some spokes were loose.

At the moment 4 spokes are loose, but it isn't affecting my riding.

The wheel is a Jalco AX340.

Bedgebury is booked so I don't know if i should move it to a later date and sort it :roll: or go?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Might be worth taking it back to the LBS and asking them to true it up just for Bedgebury, and then buy a new wheel, or try and buy a new wheel before Bedgebury.
  • didim
    I can afford to buy a new wheel after bedgebury, but not before... :?

Will try and get it trued again, but back to my first question, can I ride bedgebury with a wheel in that condition? Won't be too rough as it's my first experience of a ''proper trail centre''. Might a spoke snap? :roll:
  • new wheel, it'll quite possibly go whilst you're riding under the extra stress :(
  • hmanm
    hmanm Posts: 30
    :shock:

What rear wheel would you recommend.... As cheap as possible .....
    That can take 2ft drops, occasional small jump, moderate XC?[/i]
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    Or just buy a spoke key and tighten them up....
  • v23 wrote:
    Or just buy a spoke key and tighten them up....
    Thats what i thought.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the LBS have fixed it once and it has gone again I would be getting it replaced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • your other temporary fix would be to slacken all the spokes off and re-tension and dish.
  • didim
    OK Thanks all. Will get a new wheel ASAP.
    What rear wheel would you recommend.... As cheap as possible .....
    That can take 2ft drops, occasional small jump, moderate XC, LIGHT downhill?

If I get a spoke key and tighten them, will it be ok just for bedgebury before being replaced?

Thanks
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    bloody hell! id get your wheel tightened if i were you otherwise you'll fold ur rim in half! And that can lead to a much more expensive outcome. Get some new spokes and take them to a decent wheel builder. £10 for spokes and £10 for them to build, surely you can afford £20!!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Most decent multitools have spoke keys on so you might even have the tools you need without knowing it. Riding on loose spokes is just daft, at best it gets worse and at worst the wheel collapses and you get squished.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Although the spoke keys on multitools are a pain to use for anything more than trailside repairs. A spokey is much easier to use and they're only about 6 quid.
  • didim
    Will tighten them all up - which size spoke key do I need? The wheel is a Jalco AX340

Tthanks
  • didim
    bump
  • v23
    How big are your nipples?
  • didim
    No idea...
    How do I find out? :?
  • didim
    Common sizes of spoke nipples (flat-to-flat) include:

0.127" (3.23 mm) (DT/Wheelsmith nipples)
    0.130" (3.30 mm) (most European)
    0.136" (3.45 mm) (most Asian)
    These values for size do not indicate the interior diameter, which is critical for fitting to the spokes.

That's from Wikipedia... Are mine ''european'?
  • v23
    If you're European then I suspect your nipples are also. It would be strange having Asian nipples if you were European.

Seriously though, how do you expect us to know what size nipples you have? I've never heard of a Jalco wheel and nor has google. Like I said there are spoke keys available that have all sizes on them. Use one of them.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    v23 wrote:

Kind of personal, don't you think?
  • v23
    dennisn wrote:
    v23 wrote:

Kind of personal, don't you think?

Not really. Over here, we're not afraid of our nipples. You guys have so many hang ups.
  • didim
    If you're European then I suspect your nipples are also. It would be strange having Asian nipples if you were European.

Seriously though, how do you expect us to know what size nipples you have? I've never heard of a Jalco wheel and nor has google. Like I said there are spoke keys available that have all sizes on them. Use one of them.

Sorry, wheel is Jalco AX-430 not 340.....

Have just bought one with all sizes on.