Pedals for noobs

Lord Jimmy 7th
Lord Jimmy 7th Posts: 379
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
hi im new to road bikes and am looking at pedals and shoes, any advice for newbie pedals that are maybe easier to get into and out of, im currently looking at the shimano 5610 105 SPD-SL pedals (can anyone tell me what SPD and SPD-SL mean) and the Shimano R086 SPD-SL shoes
any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Funny old thing I have same shoes started with SPD cleats, just upgraded to Speedplay, SPD easy in easy out, so they used to pop out when sprinting uphill, hence the move to SpeedPlay, however the SPD cleats are hard as nails. Load of threads on pedals on this forum do a search. But IMO you may have to work your way through pedals to find the ones that work best for you.

Happy hunting, oh great shoes BTW go a size larger than your normal shoes.
  • I like the feel of my keos over the SPD SL's, started with easy, just got some classics. Do fancy a try with speedplays next year though
  • yep just got myself some keo classics on specialized elite road shoes and theyre great, i'd definitely go for specialized shoes due to body geometry insole and shaping of the shoe, theyre the comfiest she ive ever used, also the sport roads come in at £59.99 bargain!
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    I've never come out of my SPD'S regardless of the effort put in! Perhaps they needed tightening if you were coming out whilst climbing?
    Dave
  • If your feet come out when climbing or sprinting then it could be the angle of the cleat. I remember my first pair of shoes (a cheap £30 pair) wouldn't allow for much adjusting - only back and forward, and side to side. So the cleats were pointing straight forward, where as I needed them to be pointing inward.

I'd recommend not being cheap on the shoes. I'd recommend starting with something like the Specialized Sport or something.
  • Good comments, however the point is moot.
  • thanks for the help so far,
    am gonna either go to a shop to try on the shoes or have a look at the cycle show.
    As for pedals also looking at the keo classics wats the difference between SPD and SPDSL
    is it just the type of cleat?
  • I've just bought some keo classic pedals/cleats from merlin this week. I have only used spd's before. I find these easier to clip out of than spd's. Clipping in is a bit harder because they're only one sided. £40 from merlin.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • ok thanks
    have now bought shimano r086 shoes and look keo classic pedals, merlin sold out but still got them for 38quid on nice2tri.co.uk
    consider this thread complete now
    thankyou all